Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Fill time from filter to barrels

WCF

Help Support WCF:

So you don't have a filter on the van just water tank, pump and pole? 
There are a few ways to do it. Some have a IBC or other tank in a garage or shed and filter water into it then pump into van tank before work. Others have filters setup in van so they connect van filters to tap (and a hose to a drain for waste water) and fill overnight with appropriate auto shutoffs.

All depends of what space you have at home.

There are a few ways to do it. Some have a IBC or other tank in a garage or shed and filter water into it then pump into van tank before work. Others have filters setup in van so they connect van filters to tap (and a hose to a drain for waste water) and fill overnight with appropriate auto shutoffs.

All depends of what space you have at home.
I have plenty room.... Hah a garage a with power but no water and room at side of house for large shed with with power n water already there... Wouldn't need pump as gravity would more than do the trick.... There is also a pure water filling station 10 mins away.... £1 prt 25l

I have plenty room.... Hah a garage a with power but no water and room at side of house for large shed with with power n water already there... Wouldn't need pump as gravity would more than do the trick.... There is also a pure water filling station 10 mins away.... £1 prt 25l
Have a search on here for RO there is masses of info. Just to let you know RO's work best with 65psi or more so you might need a booster pump otherwise water production will be very slow. 

You can buy Pure and it should be great quality but if you are using a lot it's probably less than half the cost to produce your own. Plus you are not reliant on a third party for your business to operate!

Wouldn't need pump as gravity would more than do the trick....
Gravity fed won't do the trick, whether you have a flat tank or more so an upright tank fitted in the van you will need a submersible pump too pump the water from your static tank into the van tank which will take less than 10 minutes and not forgetting however many meters of hose required to go from the bottom of the static tank into the top of the van tank. 

Nick

i fully understand changing over from traditional method to wfp. There is a lot to consider and purchase, many on here have done it. They are trying to help you as you have asked. You need to listen to all the information rather than coming to your own conclusions like the above statement. They are very kind in giving their time to help you to be successful, I got help from here too. 
we went down the trolley route to start, they are very good especially the pure freedom one. But we found it difficult to work with. The reason being we used 25 litre barrels, we worked from a car, so lifting in and out of the car was shattering for a full day. Others cope with it. If you have a van already I would go with a tank in the van. 
so with that tap TDS you need an RO system as been said previously or buy the water from spotless etc. 
so two choices you can make pure water using a system in the van or make pure water at home then fill the van. So you need firstly the TDS which you have got. Then you need to know you water pressure. Then you can decide from there if the water pressure is low you will need a booster pump the reason being the membrane needs the water flowing at a decent pressure. Otherwise it will not perform to its best. Google on you tube how to make pure water. Squeaky clean Dave has just put up a video step by step take a look get some knowledge then ask the questions but above all please listen. Type too in the search bar lots of helpful stuff there already. Your very first question people can only give you an idea. Everybody uses different amounts of water. Some are quicker than others, lots of factors to consider. What I will say is this. It seems overwhelming at times but worth it. We wished we had done it sooner. Once your up and running you won’t look back. Be prepared it takes time to do it properly. Hence all the help your receiving on here is valuable. Hope all goes well for you

Hi, I'm thinking of converting to wfp from trad. I currently clean approx 25-30 3 bed semi's in a day. How much filtered Water would I need and how long would it take to filter into drums ready for trolly? 
Hi I've done 35 years trad then after a lot of thought getting older etc I decided to switch over to wfp.i think the best thing I did was to use spotless water at the beging because when your new to wfp there a lot of things to learn so taking the water filter process out of the way I would say helps so we got a tank battery pump and reels and and pole and with perfect water it makes life a lot easier now I produce my own in the shed then transfer to the van hope this helps

Hi I've done 35 years trad then after a lot of thought getting older etc I decided to switch over to wfp.i think the best thing I did was to use spotless water at the beging because when your new to wfp there a lot of things to learn so taking the water filter process out of the way I would say helps so we got a tank battery pump and reels and and pole and with perfect water it makes life a lot easier now I produce my own in the shed then transfer to the van hope this helps
Can be overwhelming at the beginning. But I’m sure someone near to him would gladly help him. That money spent at spotless would help pay for his RO system. 

Gravity fed won't do the trick, whether you have a flat tank or more so an upright tank fitted in the van you will need a submersible pump too pump the water from your static tank into the van tank which will take less than 10 minutes and not forgetting however many meters of hose required to go from the bottom of the static tank into the top of the van tank. 
OK thanks.... I assumed there would be a tap at bottom of storage tank then a 10ft drop to my van. 

Can be overwhelming at the beginning. But I’m sure someone near to him would gladly help him. That money spent at spotless would help pay for his RO system. 

I agree but I found it helped me in the first place I was spending£10a day now just a few pence

Thanks yes it does..... Do you find it less tiring and any quicker? 

OK thanks.... I assumed there would be a tap at bottom of storage tank then a 10ft drop to my van. 
There maybe, but not sure how you get a 10ft drop unless your shed is up a tree or van is at the bottom of a very steep hill. 

*You Need To Do Some Research Of Your Own*

But lets assume you go for a 100ltr ibc as a storage/static tank as they can be bought cheap enough of ebay, can you fit one of these in your shed or even through the shed door?

You have a van with a 690kg payload and limited space with it been a small van best option size tank is a 350ltr upright with a frame to secure it. below is my van a vauxhall combo don't be fooled by the space around it as toolbox etc isn't in there and the extra bits I carry fill the space. you can buy and fill a couple of 25ltr containers to give you extra water.

You need to know your tap tds so you need a tds meter don't buy off amazon or ebay you also need a mains water pressure gauge.

Every answer you seek has been asked countless times on here do some research and come back to us with clear and concise questions so we can fully understand and help you out. 

20190815_171638.jpg

There maybe, but not sure how you get a 10ft drop unless your shed is up a tree or van is at the bottom of a very steep hill. 

*You Need To Do Some Research Of Your Own*

But lets assume you go for a 100ltr ibc as a storage/static tank as they can be bought cheap enough of ebay, can you fit one of these in your shed or even through the shed door?

You have a van with a 690kg payload and limited space with it been a small van best option size tank is a 350ltr upright with a frame to secure it. below is my van a vauxhall combo don't be fooled by the space around it as toolbox etc isn't in there and the extra bits I carry fill the space. you can buy and fill a couple of 25ltr containers to give you extra water.

You need to know your tap tds so you need a tds meter don't buy off amazon or ebay you also need a mains water pressure gauge.

Every answer you seek has been asked countless times on here do some research and come back to us with clear and concise questions so we can fully understand and help you out. 

View attachment 22312
Front of house drops away.... Can see straight in top of double deca bus from living room ?

Yes think I got most of info I need.... Thanks for the help ?

Front of house drops away.... Can see straight in top of double deca bus from living room ?

Yes think I got most of info I need.... Thanks for the help ?
Aha, gravity may well work then but it's a few feet off the floor to the top of the tank, only one way too find out, but be aware garden hose will take a good while to fill, I use https://www.amazon.co.uk/Spares2go-Premium-Quality-Flexible-Length/dp/B00UROCT3A this stuff is really flexible like the waste pipe on a washing machine I have driven over it and abused it and it gets squashed and crammed into my little shed everyday,  it's lasted years, unlike other brands which are a lot more rigid and split 

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Aha, gravity may well work then but it's a few feet off the floor to the top of the tank, only one way too find out, but be aware garden hose will take a good while to fill, I use https://www.amazon.co.uk/Spares2go-Premium-Quality-Flexible-Length/dp/B00UROCT3A this stuff is really flexible like the waste pipe on a washing machine I have driven over it and abused it and it gets squashed and crammed into my little shed everyday,  it's lasted years, unlike other brands which are a lot more rigid and split 
Thanks will look into that ?

It may work being this type of transfer hose. A local lad has 3" diamt lay-flat hose and his head is much higher closer to 20'.  There isn't enough pressure from his 1000 liter IBC tank to start to flow. He has to use his transfer pump. But once it starts he switches the transfer pump off and his 650 liter tank fills in no time with gravity.

It may work being this type of transfer hose. A local lad has 3" diamt lay-flat hose and his head is much higher closer to 20'.  There isn't enough pressure from his 1000 liter IBC tank to start to flow. He has to use his transfer pump. But once it starts he switches the transfer pump off and his 650 liter tank fills in no time with gravity.
Once my float switch drops as the level of the tank gets low and the pump shuts off the gravity does the rest but I do need the pump with feeding in the pump from above. it would depend on @Nick Mitton's set up but gravity maybe sufficient with the 10ft drop and some 1/2" hose but I would have thought it would take 30-45 minutes or more to gravity transfer.

Once my float switch drops as the level of the tank gets low and the pump shuts off the gravity does the rest but I do need the pump with feeding in the pump from above. it would depend on @Nick Mitton's set up but gravity maybe sufficient with the 10ft drop and some 1/2" hose but I would have thought it would take 30-45 minutes or more to gravity transfer.
I would imagine he would use what you linked to. I would think that using 1/2" hose would take 'all day'.

My 1" transfer hose using an external transfer pump rated at 41lpm is bad enough. It takes an eternity to fill the tank to half way; just pop inside to switch the kettle on and the tank instantly fills and overflows. I come out to see water pouring out of the doors and the neighbour's Fiat 500 sailing down the road. ?

I would imagine he would use what you linked to. I would think that using 1/2" hose would take 'all day'.

My 1" transfer hose using an external transfer pump rated at 41lpm is bad enough. It takes an eternity to fill the tank to half way; just pop inside to switch the kettle on and the tank instantly fills and overflows. I come out to see water pouring out of the doors and the neighbour's Fiat 500 sailing down the road. ?
At least he would have time for a cuppa ?

Yeah understand will take more water on 1st cleans especially as I'm novice but that won't always be the case. 

I'm wanting to know how much filtered Water I would use once once I'm not a novice. 

I've been in the business for nearly 30 years so looking long term. 
If your cleaning windows already on your round you will not need to do a first clean.

Back