Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

First time I've walked off a job

WCF

Help Support WCF:

chris clean

First time since I started that comments from a cusomer made me think screw this I'm off. Did a ladys gutters plus Windows ages ago and the old lady next door asked how much and for my card. Calls me last week to book in. I turn up today and knock door just to saying there and getting started. She says "it will take you longer today than when you did next door cos it's humid" the alarm bells start going. It's not humid atall and anyway what difference she thinks that would make I don't know. Anyway I say no bout hour and half same as next door. She says" for that price I expect you here all afternoon. " now I'm thinking I don't fancy this. I said don't worry however long it takes it will look great for you. The final straw was well if you do a great job I will pay you the full price. I walked back to van thought should I get kit out. Nah perk of being self employed I decide who i work for and this ain't the way i work! I knocked door made a stupid excuse about having to dash off and drove off. Some people have odd ideas how business works!

Last edited by a moderator:
If the end product is good, it should be absolutely irrelevant how long it takes you to do it. Some people just want to see you slog your guts out. Things like skill set, experience, quality equipment etc are exactly why I don't price on time, I price of difficulty of job.

You just cannot please some people, her telling you how long it should take to do your job speaks for itself. Personally I would have had to say something but you did the right thing as you will always be onto a loser with somebody like that.

Personally think lying and walking off the job is worse than saying to the old dear "do you want me to do the job in the time and manner I've priced it at" If she takes offence then you've done nothing wrong, or she can accept and let you continue and can't complain when you're done.

Personally think lying and walking off the job is worse than saying to the old dear "do you want me to do the job in the time and manner I've priced it at" If she takes offence then you've done nothing wrong, or she can accept and let you continue and can't complain when you're done.

Nah mate I'm not into negotiating to get the agreed price!!. I price a job if they accept that's it. Once the trust is gone I'm not carrying on. Her attitude stunk and I'm not risking doing the job only for her to start trying to pay less than agreed. I'm way to busy for that I manage to go get other outstanding gutter jobs done this afternoon! 

Last edited by a moderator:
Nah mate I'm not into negotiating. I price a job if they accept that's it. Once the trust is gone I'm not carrying on. Her attitude stunk and I'm not risking doing the job only for her to start trying to pay less than agreed. I'm way to busy for that I manage to go get other outstanding gutter jobs done this afternoon! 
Just my opinion, it's not negotiating it's telling the customer to shut up and let me do my job politely.

Just my opinion, it's not negotiating it's telling the customer to shut up and let me do my job politely.
I get what you say mate just personally if I turn up to do a job price has been agreed for. If I have to start talking about getting the full payment etc I've lost trust. It's like me getting there and saying just to let you know if I take longer I will charge you more. I'm sure customer would suddenly loose trust in me too!

I get what you say mate just personally if I turn up to do a job price has been agreed for. If I have to start talking about getting the full payment etc I've lost trust. It's like me getting there and saying just to let you know if I take longer I will charge you more. I'm sure customer would suddenly loose trust in me too!
No problem mate, just trying to pass on 35 years experience of dealing with awkward customers. Just in case someone that needed to do the job encounters something similar. 

I think you would have had problems getting paid full amount. Maybe she had nothing to do all day bar watching you and the clock. You need to watch out for people suffering from dementia. I know it sounds daft but my mate priced new windows for an old woman and she told him to go ahead. Then he returned with the windows and her daughter answered the door and chased him. She told him her mother suffers from dementia and cant make decisions. Not much he could do and still has the windows in his garage. :1f602:

i'm with @Part Timer mate. I think you did the right thing by walking but sometimes honesty is the best policy. She will probably have worked out its her  :1f4a9:  attitude that has caused you to walk but some people just think they're funny. Its similar to the situation I was on about on another thread where the customer tells you ''the other guys just stopped coming''.

you're right the trust is gone but could you not have told her straight and then asked for payment in advance?

I think you would have had problems getting paid full amount. Maybe she had nothing to do all day bar watching you and the clock. You need to watch out for people suffering from dementia. I know it sounds daft but my mate priced new windows for an old woman and she told him to go ahead. Then he returned with the windows and her daughter answered the door and chased him. She told him her mother suffers from dementia and cant make decisions. Not much he could do and still has the windows in his garage. :1f602:
if a person isn't able to make a decision for themselves they need a full time carer. Theres a lot of this about. In my last job a local care company came in and gave us a letter with a list of vulnerable people who we should not sign up. It had their names and addresses on. One of them wanted to sign up so I checked with a social worker friend of mine and she said exactly what I have said, if they are allowed out in the community it isn't for someone else to decide what services they do or don't have.

Dementias an awful illness definately good to be aware of in our job. That said I'm certain my customer today was a cheeky old chancer!?
I've got a customer with dementia, he has a tiny bungalow and no family. Tells me to get my ar5e in gear several times per clean. I never book him in again I just pop over when I clean his neighbours and see if he wants them done. His neighbours look out for him and they all agree he deserves clean windows just like anyone else.

I'd have turned round and asked if she wants the job doing or not at the agreed price. She won't have got the message if you've made an excuse to leave. If she still carried on moaning after agreeing the price then tell her she's out of order and then leave the job.

I think I’d have binned it too, a bit of me thinks I’d have told her why though as it’d be a bit like red rag to a bull the ways she was going on. Albeit politely, but firmly as I closed my van door.

folk never cease to amaze or infuriate me.

I dont blame you to be honest. You left in your best interests and didn’t charge anything. As far as i can see you used good foresight and didnt leap in to a can of worms.
What she said sounds rather intimidating.
It may have been better to say the honest truth rather than making an excuse. Something like “i’m sorry, you’re making me feel uncomfortable and on second thoughts i don’t wish to carry out this job. I wish you the best, goodbye”
There’s nothing wrong with that.
It is your business, you decide who you work for.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Good to get all your opinions cheers guys. Just reinforces in my mind I did the right thing and most of you would have binned it aswell. Don't get me wrong if I was just starting out and desperate for the work I may have done different but got list of outstanding gutters/ connives etc to try and fit in so was happy to crack some of them out instead. I agree with what some have said about just telling her the truth why I was walking. It was one of those at the time It seemed less hassle to just say I had to go but as soon as you drive off think of better things you could have said lol. 

Good to get all your opinions cheers guys. Just reinforces in my mind I did the right thing and most of you would have binned it aswell. Don't get me wrong if I was just starting out and desperate for the work I may have done different but got list of outstanding gutters/ connives etc to try and fit in so was happy to crack some of them out instead. I agree with what some have said about just telling her the truth why I was walking. It was one of those at the time It seemed less hassle to just say I had to go but as soon as you drive off think of better things you could have said lol. 
Hindsight is a beautiful thing. Bet she calls you every day now  :1f602:

Easiest way around that is to save the numbers of people you don’t wish to work for as “do not answer” its saved me a lot of time as if you shrug off and forget, it can come back to bite you. One lady years ago rang me for a quote on cleaning out gutters and cleaning conny roof, spent about half an hour on the phone to her answering endless questions. Booked it in. Then she cancelled the appointment a day or so before.
Then about 6 months later she phoned again wanting to talk about another job she may want doing. i hadn’t logged the number in my phone book and took me a little while to put one and one together. More endless correspondence with no end result.
when the phone rings and the screen says “do not answer” you’ll be thankful you did it

Easiest way around that is to save the numbers of people you don’t wish to work for as “do not answer” its saved me a lot of time as if you shrug off and forget, it can come back to bite you. One lady years ago rang me for a quote on cleaning out gutters and cleaning conny roof, spent about half an hour on the phone to her answering endless questions. Booked it in. Then she cancelled the appointment a day or so before.
Then about 6 months later she phoned again wanting to talk about another job she may want doing. i hadn’t logged the number in my phone book and took me a little while to put one and one together. More endless correspondence with no end result.
when the phone rings and the screen says “do not answer” you’ll be thankful you did it

I just add them to my block list, no messages or calls

Back