Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Franchise

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I get that not every one wants to run a business but then why not just get a job.

They will get on a average 28 days holiday no van,fuel,phone,water production and  eqipment costs a pension no account fees etc,etc 

A window cleaner working for a biggish commercial firm will get around £75-£100 a day with the option of overtime if they want

A franchise on around 1k  will pay 20% royalties 25-30% tax,ni and accountant fees then another 10-20% running cost fuel,water,phone,tools and that grand a week self employed dosen't start to look that good for cleaning work you never actually own not to mention the 6-12k franchise fee at the start for that freshly canvassed round and a tablet with cleaner planner on it.

I get that not every one wants to run a business but then why not just get a job

If you're middle aged, got responsibilities, been an accountant/middle manager/skilled worker in a declining industry etc.etc and suddenly get made redundant or lose your job for some other reason then getting another one isn't that simple.

Out on your ear at (say) 50 with no experience of anything other than what you've been doing since forever, a finite lump sum that won't last long, a mortgage, wife, kids etc.  You see an ad that says:  As much work as you can handle, all set up and ongoing admin done for you, no age limit, no special qualifications required, success guaranteed with an income of £50,000 upwards depending on your commitment......

I think someone like the guy above would find that very interesting.

You're quite right, for someone like yourself and most others on here with the determination to create their own employment it doesn't sound much of a deal, but if you're like my man above, suddenly under extreme pressure to find an alternative income before the world comes crashing down round his head it could seem like a prayer answered.

Two things on the post above, firstly as far as I know there aren't any UK window cleaning franchises like it. Secondly if there was it would cost you in excess of a £100k to buy into it. I agree in other industries there are well established franchises that are value for money, those with a technical edge over their competition. However window cleaning isn't rocket science.

The biggest window cleaning company in my area is a franchise. The business as a whole gets some real benefits via the uniform sign written vans and the fact every window cleaner he takes on he registers them on google my business at their address under the business name so they get loads of exposure.

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums
Do you need to be a franchisee to buy a shirt with your logo on it?

Do you need to be a franchisee to get your van sign written?

Do you need to be a franchisee to get a website on google?

Do you need to be a franchisee to advertise,hence getting exposure?

Agree with Cghwindowcleaning with his comments as per big boys like Mcdonalds etc.

But some people have the comfort blanket mentality Franchising gives them. At a big price, that they could avoid by research and just going out there and knocking doors themselves.

Do you need to be a franchisee to buy a shirt with your logo on it?
Do you need to be a franchisee to get your van sign written?
Do you need to be a franchisee to get a website on google?
Do you need to be a franchisee to advertise,hence getting exposure?

Agree with Cghwindowcleaning with his comments as per big boys like Mcdonalds etc.

But some people have the comfort blanket mentality Franchising gives them. At a big price, that they could avoid by research and just going out there and knocking doors themselves.

You get far greater exposure with multiple vehicles. Also when you’re looking for a ‘window cleaner near me’ it’s a massive help when that business is in multiple locations. I don’t know for certain but I would assume that it strongly helps for ranking your business site as well.

I’m on the other side of the fence with this. I can see why people would buy in to a franchise and can see why it clearly works for some people. When I think of expanding the business (a long way off) franchising appeals to me far more strongly at the moment than just taking on employees.

They both come with their own plus points but the biggest pro I can see for the franchise is that I imagine the person on board will feel a lot more involved with the company. They’ll have the freedom to pick and choose when they work, effectively still being their own boss but also support behind them when they need it.

From the perspective of the owner of the business you’re far less likely to get someone who isn’t committed as the franchisee has their own money tied to the business from the start with their initial investment and from what I’ve seen there is potential to expand rapidly.

I take on board what others have said about window cleaning not being a difficult skill to pick up comparative to trades etc but it still takes a lot balls to go out and start your own business regardless, knowing that it will sink or float entirely dependent on you. Franchising is a good middle ground for some people.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Their is a well known name that has been franchising for a good while now.

But in all honesty greater exposure etc in my humble opinion don't mean squat, Just because some one finds a window cleaning website don't mean the work will come flooding in.

I have good exposure in my local area with site and FB etc and have done for years, But it's the constant client recommendations that get me work through my quality of service.

As Dave B said franchise fee of 20% plus tax and NI is 50% of the top so that 50k wage will be a lot less and you will be grafting a dam site more for the money.

But whether a franchiser or franchisee I wish them the best of luck if they are willing to graft.

Like I say these are my views it will appeal to some but a franchise in a small domestic window cleaning business is nothing like buying a franchise in say mcdonald's.

A franchise with mcdonald's is paying yes for there proven track record but it's main purpose is to licence that name that every one knows almost gauaranteing success and business by using that household brand name.You can't compare a local window cleaning company to that.

I use another forum and there are quite a few on there that sell franchise's and they all work on a similar model.

firstly you need to know the difference between profit and turnover just because you franchise 1k(turnover)it doesn't mean you earn 1k a week far from it.

Also people assume that the franchise company do the admin for you but they don't.They may price jobs and pass them on but thats about it.You do every thing that a sole trader does.

Also think about were this work has come from do think a company have 4-5k worth of work a month just siting there they don't they use your sign up fee of say 6-12k to send canvassers out to generate your work you only have to look on rounds for sale .co.uk to see that this is what one company does.

Now in terms of exposure and coverage of corse more vans and marketing may help but mrs Jones in Stevenage doesn't know or care about joe bloggs window cleaning in say Manchester she's not interested.

Now some have said that people do it to be park of something bigger and put time and effort in to something thats there's but in truth it isn't.

Lets say you franchise CGH window cleaning of me your not building your business your building mine it's not yours if you choose to walk away after say 3years and resell the franchise I still keep the name the web domains the work etc and all you get is the sign up fee you started with.

Now it will appeal to some and it is definitely working well for some and I don't have a problem with that but I still don't get why you would.

Big in other countries I.e. USA and OZ. When you look at the stats there not a guaranteed success. I think the stats on them say forty percent fail.. I'd rather just do it myself it's one less bill to have.

Before you's start throwing figures. Remember Your wet days, very hard to get your full weeks this time of the year. I'd rather work less for more . It's a no brainer 

Don't see the fun in it TBH... I considered buying unto a franchise when istarted and it was just too expensive... they wanted £1000deposit on a van. £250 on set up cost then £65 a day for van hire and 20% of profit.... they did find the first £1000 worth of work but the rest was up to you.

It was a bit harder to get the first lot load o customers but now my bills are half that if I don't include employees.

I researched pesticide franchises before I bought the cleaning business that I worked at. I was unenthusiastic about their start up fees, monthly percentages, fixed monthly fees and requirements to buy their products. Perhaps the exposure from franchise advertising pays off in congested metropolitan areas but in small towns most service businesses do okay with referrals.

Plenty of opinions about franchisees - no one wants to be one, and why would you?  Most on here have established businesses or are in the process of building one.

Anyone got an opinion on being a Franchisor?

Plenty of opinions about franchisees - no one wants to be one, and why would you?  Most on here have established businesses or are in the process of building one.

If you want to do it why not?

It can earn you a fair bit of money from others working and unlike employees franchisees have a vested interest in the business as they have paid in to it

No missing windows and being dodgy when it is their investment on the line rather than dodgy employees tarnishing your company name

I think it's great  you basically get full time employees with out the cost.

you will earn less than if you employed but you won't have the paper work,expense and stress that goes with it .

if going vat registered scares youDon't know why it would ) it's a way of expanding with out going vat registered.

I think there is definitely a market there for it.  Just no real attractive deals that I have seen as yet for the the franchisee.  Many of the current franchisors seem a tad greedy IMO. 

And in all fairness 20% for someone to take care of all your advertising, round management, collections etc seems like a pretty reasonable deal to me. 

I think there is definitely a market there for it.  Just no real attractive deals that I have seen as yet for the the franchisee.  Many of the current franchisors seem a tad greedy IMO. 

And in all fairness 20% for someone to take care of all your advertising, round management, collections etc seems like a pretty reasonable deal to me. 
20% for all of that does seem really good. I wonder what collection methods they use. Must have everyone on gocardless etc.

Back