Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Go Cardless VAT

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I really do think that it's penny pinching to not think it's worth the cost.  The time saved is a hell of a lot, not just a little bit.  Just yesterday I spent 40 minutes chasing up a bank transfer payment, 20 minutes on hold then 20 minutes trying to speak to an indian lady who couldn't understand that I needed her to check to see if a payment had been made into my account.  This was the second phone call made in relation to this payment, the first was to the customer which entailed a 5 minute 'polite' chat, and then involved another 5 minute chat to explain the payment had now been made and I would be cleaning the next day.  This involved nearly one hour of my time just for that one payment.
Did you get paid? I had an issue with a payment a few years ago custy choose to pay me using my mobile number which was linked to my personal bank account instead of using the bank details provided for my business account she insisted she had paid but I saw no record of it at all until after a 5-10 minute conversation so tells me she used my mobile number and then it dawns on me and lone behold I find the payment 

Most banks let you pay in and withdraw out of any Post Office.
Yeah I know mate but I can't be arsed with messing on with a paying in book and envelopes and you can only get the paying in envelopes from the bank, easiest thing to do is let my wife use the money when she goes shopping for groceries as my cash intake ain't all that much I am getting more used to cashless way of things on the whole. 

Did you get paid? I had an issue with a payment a few years ago custy choose to pay me using my mobile number which was linked to my personal bank account instead of using the bank details provided for my business account she insisted she had paid but I saw no record of it at all until after a 5-10 minute conversation so tells me she used my mobile number and then it dawns on me and lone behold I find the payment 
Yeah I found it in the end.  I really didn't think it would have been paid as I don't recall giving her my bank details, was a lot of hassle finding it though.  

My account isn't set-up for online banking so it's hard to track payments until my statement comes through, I've tried many times in the past but it's not straight forward.  I cannot remember what it is now but last time I looked into it there were hurdles in the way, something about booking an appointment in the bank with an in branch advisor and also other stuff that goes along with that.  That's with HSBC, thought it's way over the top.  

Yeah I found it in the end.  I really didn't think it would have been paid as I don't recall giving her my bank details, was a lot of hassle finding it though.  

My account isn't set-up for online banking so it's hard to track payments until my statement comes through, I've tried many times in the past but it's not straight forward.  I cannot remember what it is now but last time I looked into it there were hurdles in the way, something about booking an appointment in the bank with an in branch advisor and also other stuff that goes along with that.  That's with HSBC, thought it's way over the top.  
Good to hear. you will be surprised with banking apps in how they can even identify small businesses, I paid a mate of mine for the supply and fit of some turf who is a landscaper and my personal banking app found his business as I typed it in with all the correct bank details. 

I didn't like HSBC I easily opened an account online but their banking app some years ago was stone age so sacked it off before really using it, I have found Lloyds to be the best plus their banking app I really couldn't do without online banking using apps etc, I did have to do an in branch appointment years ago which was almost pointless as I was in and out in less than 10 minutes but she wangled me 12 months free banking as a new business even though I had been trading about 16 years at that point. 

I'm with Natwest and have the banking app so I can check my account any time on my phone and it's all free. As for cheques, I just put them In their dropbox when I'm passing (the queues outside these banks at the moment are shocking) I'm making the best of this lockdown by pushing online payments to make collecting a thing the past.

So it's either cash on the day or online.

I'm just not keen on allowing third party companies to have leverage over me with the likes of Gocardless etc.

Yeah I know mate but I can't be arsed with messing on with a paying in book and envelopes and you can only get the paying in envelopes from the bank, easiest thing to do is let my wife use the money when she goes shopping for groceries as my cash intake ain't all that much I am getting more used to cashless way of things on the whole. 
Mate I am just using my bank card as you would in the bank. Its dead straight forward and saves traveling miles to a bank..

Good to see you back ? hope all has been and is good with you, mine are stupidly high now with 311 jobs and counting on GC some months my fees are over £80. 
Real good man, just mad busy. In the process of reorganising my round to fit a few more on ready to take someone on. I'm up to around 450-460 customers but still only got 220 on GC. I reckon half of them are old customers who never signed up but pay by stripe or bacs, should have gone solely GC earlier.

Real good man, just mad busy. In the process of reorganising my round to fit a few more on ready to take someone on. I'm up to around 450-460 customers but still only got 220 on GC. I reckon half of them are old customers who never signed up but pay by stripe or bacs, should have gone solely GC earlier.
Really good to hear, I am up to 314 on GC I think, oldies paying by bacs etc ain't that bad as you know they will always pay anyway, I am close to 420 jobs and growing and thinking of shifting to 5 weekly which will see my profits drop initially but then the price increases will follow later and I may not take such a hit when people start losing their jobs or see a cut in wages as I will have maybe got ahead and given them a saving annually already

It's been playing on my mind long enough now thinking 5 weekly is the way to go to better manage my rounds as I am struggling most weeks but also avoid a big hit later in the year and into next year who knows ?

Really good to hear, I am up to 314 on GC I think, oldies paying by bacs etc ain't that bad as you know they will always pay anyway, I am close to 420 jobs and growing and thinking of shifting to 5 weekly which will see my profits drop initially but then the price increases will follow later and I may not take such a hit when people start losing their jobs or see a cut in wages as I will have maybe got ahead and given them a saving annually already

It's been playing on my mind long enough now thinking 5 weekly is the way to go to better manage my rounds as I am struggling most weeks but also avoid a big hit later in the year and into next year who knows ?
I've just managed to save a customer who has been financially affected.  Was paying £30 every 4 weeks via GC, said she had to cancel due to finances.  I offered her £13 GC each month on a date set by her and the clean to be done once every 3 months.  She happily went with that.

You see that's another selling point with GC, you can offer to break the payments up into smaller bits to make it seem easier.  

I'm now going to start offering this to anybody claiming financial hardship, it will be a 3 monthly price but paid every month in advance of the clean.

So for me it's 4 weeks... not happy... ok can do every 8 weeks little bit more... too much... ok can do 'x' amount each month, dd on a set date each month of your choice and once every 3 months.  Don't like it... sorry best I can do.

I've just managed to save a customer who has been financially affected.  Was paying £30 every 4 weeks via GC, said she had to cancel due to finances.  I offered her £13 GC each month on a date set by her and the clean to be done once every 3 months.  She happily went with that.

You see that's another selling point with GC, you can offer to break the payments up into smaller bits to make it seem easier.  

I'm now going to start offering this to anybody claiming financial hardship, it will be a 3 monthly price but paid every month in advance of the clean.

So for me it's 4 weeks... not happy... ok can do every 8 weeks little bit more... too much... ok can do 'x' amount each month, dd on a set date each month of your choice and once every 3 months.  Don't like it... sorry best I can do.
We do a lot of quarterly work and depending on where they are they can be filthy or still clean. Did anyone that had time off due to lockdown, not the greedy so and so's that worked ?, think the windows would be filthy after missing one or two washes and then be surprised when they weren't that bad.

We do a lot of quarterly work and depending on where they are they can be filthy or still clean. Did anyone that had time off due to lockdown, not the greedy so and so's that worked ?, think the windows would be filthy after missing one or two washes and then be surprised when they weren't that bad.
Yeah I have noticed that with my 8 weekly ones, some can look really clean whereas some 4 weekly ones are bad at this time of year.  It's priced right though so shouldn't be a problem.  It's usually spider webs and pollen that are the problem around here, hardly ever get any bird muck on the windows, don't know why, maybe the birds are a bit more upper class around here and are more civilised ?     

Yeah I have noticed that with my 8 weekly ones, some can look really clean whereas some 4 weekly ones are bad at this time of year.  It's priced right though so shouldn't be a problem.  It's usually spider webs and pollen that are the problem around here, hardly ever get any bird muck on the windows, don't know why, maybe the birds are a bit more upper class around here and are more civilised ?     
I travelled to Congleton every Friday for a few years, you must work in the posh part of Cheshire ? At least you kept the job and hopefully it will go back to normal sooner rather than later.

I travelled to Congleton every Friday for a few years, you must work in the posh part of Cheshire ? At least you kept the job and hopefully it will go back to normal sooner rather than later.
Not been to Congleton, have heard it's cheap houses around there no idea what the area is like though, hear of a few stories of horror from there, think there was that guy that went on a raping spree across the country, he ended up in Congleton.

So this is what GC says about the vat charge Copy & Pasted out of a email i got today...

Hi there,

We are writing to inform you that GoCardless is now required to charge VAT across all of the fees that we charge for our services. This is due to a change in the application of tax law which means we can no longer benefit from a VAT exemption applying to the supply of payment services. 

We had previously been relying on guidance from HMRC that meant that we did not need to charge VAT. However, on 14 April, HMRC notified us that their guidance changed and that our services no longer fall within the scope of this VAT exemption. We have therefore been instructed that we have to charge VAT from that date on all of our fees for supplies made in the UK at the UK Standard Rate (currently 20%). 

Given the current situation with Covid-19, we have decided to absorb the cost of VAT for existing customers until 1 September so that we can give you sufficient notice to adapt to this change. We will start to charge VAT on all of our fees from 1 September 2020. When transaction fees are capped, VAT will be calculated on the capped amount. 

So this is what GC says about the vat charge Copy & Pasted out of a email i got today...

Hi there,

We are writing to inform you that GoCardless is now required to charge VAT across all of the fees that we charge for our services. This is due to a change in the application of tax law which means we can no longer benefit from a VAT exemption applying to the supply of payment services. 

We had previously been relying on guidance from HMRC that meant that we did not need to charge VAT. However, on 14 April, HMRC notified us that their guidance changed and that our services no longer fall within the scope of this VAT exemption. We have therefore been instructed that we have to charge VAT from that date on all of our fees for supplies made in the UK at the UK Standard Rate (currently 20%). 

Given the current situation with Covid-19, we have decided to absorb the cost of VAT for existing customers until 1 September so that we can give you sufficient notice to adapt to this change. We will start to charge VAT on all of our fees from 1 September 2020. When transaction fees are capped, VAT will be calculated on the capped amount. 
Yeah I got it yesterday.  It's just like Paypal, the VAT is on the actual fee's so very little difference.  

I have stopped encouraging new customers to use gc,     I will be getting flyers printed requesting them to use Bacs  or D.D.   otherwise I will have to pass the new added prices onto there bill.      Just means reminding them to pay there bacs  via text messaging

Back