Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Gutter cleaning price

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I price gutters using the same formula, £3 per metre and that works quite well. You do need a bit of flexibility though, if it's an exceptionally large house £3 will become very expensive (well north of £100 per hour and conversely a very small house could end up worth less than £30 per hour.

If the client wants the gutters emptying and cleaning along with washing the outsides, fascias, soffits and barge boards I work on the basis of £10 per metre and clean down all the downpipes and lower porch plastics for free. Works out much more lucrative than window cleaning.
Working on your pricing my average 3 bed semi would be in the region of £200-250 I wouldn’t get many at that price , we charge £125- 155  per house and it takes less than 2 hours 

We have a minimum charge of £65 to vac anything , then cleaning the gfs would be extra .
That is an amazing minimum charge, fair play. I remember having this chat with you last year, since then I’ve managed to try and implement a £30 charge. But I have had one or two half tut and say don’t worry forget it (regular customers As well not one offs as well) but yeah nice Paul. ? but over time they’ll all get used to it. 

I might have to move down to Cornwall and advertise ‘gutter clearing from £60’ hahaha 

When I get agreement for this pricing formula they are getting everything done. I wash down the downpipes, any lower plastics, bargeboard if their a semi detached etc. Most places are about 7 metres wide so £140. If the gutters are full it's a decent amount of work, then the gutter vac gets washed through at the end of my working day.

I'd settle for millionaire but even at my rate it's not going to happen.
Wouldn't get many quoting against this bloke.

Screenshot_20201113-225824_Facebook.jpg

That is an amazing minimum charge, fair play. I remember having this chat with you last year, since then I’ve managed to try and implement a £30 charge. But I have had one or two half tut and say don’t worry forget it (regular customers As well not one offs as well) but yeah nice Paul. ? but over time they’ll all get used to it. 

I might have to move down to Cornwall and advertise ‘gutter clearing from £60’ hahaha 
I used to have a minimum charge of £125 , when I was the only one with a vac ??? . £65 I think is a fair price , the vac costs 5k it needs maintaining , petrol , cleaning all this costs , it’s very rare theses days that ones question the price , I just say prices start from £65 would you like an exact quote 9 out of 10 say yes and go ahead with the job , a very high % of the property’s we do are well over £200 , £65 is for a 3 bed semi , we also do a lot of large commercial that are well into four figure sums 

Lol if you want a job let me know 

Ok thanks that’s a great help, I know some of the gutters are full and some not as bad I did go in at £300 as I was thinking will people pay £575 and they excepted. but was thinking to my self after did I do the right thing but I wanted the job and for the monthly window cleaning and gutter cleaning twice a year didn’t want to lose it 
How did you get on

Wouldn't get many quoting against this bloke.

View attachment 22383
I wouldn't want to compete with him. You take a chance with plastics cleaning, sometimes they come up great in a few seconds and others you can be scrubbing for ages and then there's awkward bits you might need to ladder up to.

I wouldn't book in more than two for a day so at his rate that's £140 a day. Be better off just working for someone as an employee if you are prepared to work that cheap. A day of overtime at the fire station is worth £200 and that's a much nicer way to spend a day than cleaning shitty gutters.

Last edited by a moderator:
Like I said £3 per metre is expensive on a big house and cheap on a small one. I did one blind two weeks ago. It was 8 metres total back and front, £24, too cheap.
You need to implement a minimum charge for sure. I'm not a million miles from you, my minimum is £50 and don't struggle for work...

Sorry to hi jack this thread but my skyvac Atom arrives tommorrow and wondering about pricing. I have a detached 4 bedroom house with a conservatory that's asked me for a quote and don't know where to start?

I really don't know how long a normal 4 bed detached house will take? In my head in thinking about an hour and don't work for an less than £30 an hour. But obviously I would quote £55 for gutters emptying , if they want them cleaning too with the waterfed pole it will be another £20 and then if windows on top another £18....so would probably round it all up to £95 for what I imagine would be about 2-2.5 hours work? 

Or am I missing something ?

Sorry to hi jack this thread but my skyvac Atom arrives tommorrow and wondering about pricing. I have a detached 4 bedroom house with a conservatory that's asked me for a quote and don't know where to start?

I really don't know how long a normal 4 bed detached house will take? In my head in thinking about an hour and don't work for an less than £30 an hour. But obviously I would quote £55 for gutters emptying , if they want them cleaning too with the waterfed pole it will be another £20 and then if windows on top another £18....so would probably round it all up to £95 for what I imagine would be about 2-2.5 hours work? 

Sounds way to cheap to me , not sure on the house size ?.. we charge minimum of £65 to vac anything a 4 bed detached depending on size would be £90-125 avarage shouldn’t take more that 30-45 muinits once you are used to it but allows longer for your first few jobs , as for cleaning the plastics Ime guessing price wise again not sure how big it is ?. But £125 upwards  

You're going to regret only charging another £20 for cleaning the gutters. It's definitely the more time consuming out of all three jobs there. I'm usually the same again as clearing for the cleaning as a start, and will include a clean priced in there depending on the job. So for exampe a clear might be £50 then a clean and clear would be £100-160ish depending on how bad they are, access etc and the extent of a window clean needed (Offer the window clean as a free add on, but in all reality you've priced it into the total price.)

Last edited by a moderator:

While you want to earn £30 an hour a gutter vac needs paying for so add in some money to recoup the purchase costs.

As for cleaning the gutters after then why not base it on a linear meter charge. Have a look back as there will be some ideas on price but remember to consider the part of the country you are in.

I would guess cleaning the gfs will be more arm ache than the gutters!!!! Don't charge a stupid low amount as it will be hard work. If you think the windows will take you 36 min (£18 out of £30 an hour) then I suspect the gutters will take significantly more time. 

£18 for 4 bed detached seems a bit low but you know your area better so might be right?

I replied to this thread previously saying £10 per metre. Did one at that price this week. 8 metre wide house so £160. For that I vacuumed the gutters (main roof, porch, conservatory, garage) then washed gutters, fascias, soffits, bargeboards, lower plastics on garage fascia and porch, cleaned the windows (that hadn't been done for years), didn't touch the conservatory apart from clearing the gutter.

They got a lot more for their money than they would've expected, the estimate only specified clearing and cleaning the main roof gutters, fascias soffits. He was well pleased and has passed on his parents details that want the same service.

Started at 9, finished by 12.

I replied to this thread previously saying £10 per metre. Did one at that price this week. 8 metre wide house so £160. For that I vacuumed the gutters (main roof, porch, conservatory, garage) then washed gutters, fascias, soffits, bargeboards, lower plastics on garage fascia and porch, cleaned the windows (that hadn't been done for years), didn't touch the conservatory apart from clearing the gutter.

They got a lot more for their money than they would've expected, the estimate only specified clearing and cleaning the main roof gutters, fascias soffits. He was well pleased and has passed on his parents details that want the same service.

Started at 9, finished by 12.
Just  cleared 300+ metres of full gutters for £350, took us less than 2 hours from pulling up to pulling away

Just  cleared 300+ metres of full gutters for £350, took us less than 2 hours from pulling up to pulling away
Very nice. I'm a one man band with very little commercial work. A 300 metre run of gutter vacuuming would be very welcome, especially when you can hear there's nothing coming down the pipe.

Very nice. I'm a one man band with very little commercial work. A 300 metre run of gutter vacuuming would be very welcome, especially when you can hear there's nothing coming down the pipe.
I just get my local helper to help me and didn't vac any of it as they're full of big wet sycamore leaves. I only mentioned it to show that you don't have to work on fixed prices per metre to make good money.

We have a minimum price of £60 (did one last week that took 15 mins once gutter vac was set up). From pulling up to leaving, I was there for 45 mins. 

I charge for an hourly rate. If I think it'll take me 2 hours, then they're charged £150 (£75 per hour for non-regulars or £60 per  hour for regular customers, by that I mean my regular window cleaning customers).

Don't be fooled though - a 3 bed semi that is full with leaves and downpipes blocked will take you a hell of a lot longer than a barely empty 3 bed semi with a couple of main blockages.

At the quoting stage, I inspect with a GoPro attached to my WFP and then have a proper review back home once I've transferred the file over to the PC. Haven't had any refusals yet and have done about 25 gutter jobs over the last 8 weeks or so. Good money to be earned just before Xmas.

Also, I've noticed a lot of gutter cleaning companies starting up recently offering stupidly low prices. I've stuck to my guns and kept my pricing structure. I think it's the same as quoting for windows - be confident in your approach and you'll be fine. 

As for cleaning FSG, that is one of the most time consuming jobs that we do (not to mention getting soaked whilst standing underneath!), so make you charge accordingly, not £20!

Back