Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

have you gone down the up front payments route?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Incheck

Hey guys, january syndrome, reality check, whatever you want to call it ? had a couple of chancers recently and some persistent late payers starting to take their toll on my mental wellbeing (will be dropped at the first opportunity) my dilemma is...I really dont want to go down the go cardless route, and really havent got time or resources to be faffing around with courts etc. So my thinking is, for new customers or ad on jobs, up front payments on arrival or if we have a walk up in the street for windows, cash up front? . What do you reckon? Its starting to feel like the wild west out there and if people aren't willing to pay up front then i can only assume the intention to pay isn’t there. Obviously would provide a receipt on payment, and also not trying to sound like the sheriff or anything, but bills to pay overheads to cover and simply cant keep being let down. End of the day you cant walk in to a store and walk out with the stock without paying for it there and then. What do you reckon? Hope you’re all keeping well. 

Cash up front works and customers are happy to do it. All you say is pay now and I will get round to you this week. Someone pays me early in the month and I am always desperate to clean their windows because I don't feel right having their money and the job not completed.

Cash up front works and customers are happy to do it. All you say is pay now and I will get round to you this week. Someone pays me early in the month and I am always desperate to clean their windows because I don't feel right having their money and the job not completed.
I wouldnt accept that far in advance fella. On the door on arrival would do. If i had an illness (or van breakdown) etc. I wouldnt want it on my conscience you know. Thanks for your input

I wouldnt accept that far in advance fella. On the door on arrival would do. If i had an illness (or van breakdown) etc. I wouldnt want it on my conscience you know. Thanks for your input

One of the windies up here tells them to transfer the money into his account and the windows will be cleaned. He told me its working great and not one none payer! Now that's what I call business.

One of the windies up here tells them to transfer the money into his account and the windows will be cleaned. He told me its working great and not one none payer! Now that's what I call business.
Yeah fair enough if thats the way he does it. I couldnt do that myself for fear of me having an emergency or illness, its not about coming out of hospital with a bunch of “already paid” customers ready to put you back in there ?

If ive arrived on the door then we can assume ive showed up to do the work!

I'm away to get ready to tackle a fish pond. Last night I was at a new build to quote for some joinery work. I would love to get the window cleaning job because there is 600 new houses getting built. May cut my price to try and get it so I'm in the area at least.

I have a customer who owes me £375 for a job done before Christmas he has admitted in email he owes the money and is happy with the job but just won’t pay , been round the hose a couple of times and just get fobed off we are going again tonight, and as of Monday morning it will be dealt with by a debt collection agency, they will take him to court etc I have to pay the fees and 20% of what is owed  which falls me but there you go , from now on any one off jobs for non regular customers will be bank transfer before we turn up or cash when we turn up no cash no job done , ime not going to be taken for a mug  again 

I have a customer who owes me £375 for a job done before Christmas he has admitted in email he owes the money and is happy with the job but just won’t pay , been round the hose a couple of times and just get fobed off we are going again tonight, and as of Monday morning it will be dealt with by a debt collection agency, they will take him to court etc I have to pay the fees and 20% of what is owed  which falls me but there you go , from now on any one off jobs for non regular customers will be bank transfer before we turn up or cash when we turn up no cash no job done , ime not going to be taken for a mug  again 
Get a letter from Thomas Higgins to tell them pay within 7 days or we will take you to court.

Costs about £2.50 but well worth it as they poop themselves and pay up.

If somebody owes me too long my son knocks for me.

6'5" 17 stone rugby player with no fat on him.

He just says "have you got my dad's money".

They tend to **** themselves and pay up lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm the same build and play rugby with him on the same team but only 6'2".

He's a bit more intimidating lol.

What if the customer is a kung fu master and knocks u both out Jackie chan style , u don't get your money lol
Me and my son have both trained in martial arts for years lol.

I'm currently going to classes for krav maga (israeli martial art) and silat (phillipino martial art) in barnet 3 days a week and already at a good level in muay thai and kung fu.

Let them try lol.

Also was into boxing in the army 

My son also has a black belt in karate lol 

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm currently going to classes for krav maga (israeli martial art) and silat (phillipino martial art) in barnet 3 days a week and already at a good level in muay thai and kung fu.

Let them try lol.

542F2B72-6AB5-4D7D-A043-EFAD5EC44FA4.jpeg

Let them try lol.

If I've ever said anything to upset you, I apologise. ?

Get a letter from Thomas Higgins to tell them pay within 7 days or we will take you to court.

Costs about £2.50 but well worth it as they poop themselves and pay up.

If somebody owes me too long my son knocks for me.

6'5" 17 stone rugby player with no fat on him.

He just says "have you got my dad's money".

They tend to **** themselves and pay up lol.

The problem is anyone one who is this type of person knows that there letters aren’t worth the paper they are written on , I have passed this claim onto a debt collection agency this afternoon Ime not going to be messed about anymore , I have emailed the guy giving him the good news surprisingly ( not had a reply ) ???? unfortunately I cannot go around threatening people ??? but I agree with your sentiments 

I'm not sure about the payment up front thing. A roofer I worked with years ago taught me never to do that. It's much more difficult to walk once you've got the money in your pocket and the customers starts tw4ting around. It also means subconsciously the job is sort of done... Works for me anyway.

There is nothing wrong with asking for cash or card on the day however. I've never had someone say yeah and then suddenly not pay at the end. Get yourself a SumUp card reader, they only take 1.7%, if that stops one missed payment a year it will pay for itself.

This link will get you a machine for £15 (And anyone else that wants to use it)

http://fbuy.me/iyXeO

Full disclosure on this, I will get £50 which will be given to charity (Crisis, a homeless charity)

Back