Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Having Window Cleaning On Saturday, But Want To Do Something Else, What To Do?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Some full time window cleaners, cleaning 5 days per week will earn less than £25k others can earn more than £45k on a 4 day week. Regardless of your method, it’s always going to be your own ability that gets you there.

The difference in mentality between an employee and a business owners thinking – is that the business owner must think more – if you don’t you earn £25k

Richard
You mean you earn more if you work with better paying customers or are quicker? Logistics- having lots of houses next to each other?

I am interested, because I am only doing my window cleaning on Saturdays, and testing the water to see if i want to do it more. I am trying other jobs as well. If I work quickly £20/hr is possible on my bungalows (excludes travel time). I have been trying gardening, but I think it pays less. Carpentry- but it seems difficult to get good and build a reputation and find regular work. It really seems like such a basic (untrained) thing as pulling a squeegee down a window and using a scrim could pull in thousands a year.

It really seems like such a basic (untrained) thing as pulling a squeegee down a window and using a scrim could pull in thousands a year.
Such a silly comment.....there's more to window cleaning than you think.....if done properly :Image9: .

You can pull-in thousands a year in any job.......IF your prepared to work at it :Image11: .

You mean you earn more if you work with better paying customers or are quicker? Logistics- having lots of houses next to each other?

I am interested, because I am only doing my window cleaning on Saturdays, and testing the water to see if i want to do it more. I am trying other jobs as well. If I work quickly £20/hr is possible on my bungalows (excludes travel time). I have been trying gardening, but I think it pays less. Carpentry- but it seems difficult to get good and build a reputation and find regular work. It really seems like such a basic (untrained) thing as pulling a squeegee down a window and using a scrim could pull in thousands a year.
Hi Mate, yes all of those things & more; re-read your own comments on window cleaning.

If it’s that basic, you should be able to go and build a window cleaning business within 12-36 months that then can turn over £50,000 plus per year.

If you have done it with a huge amount of overtime each week with higher cost i.e. working a 7 day week with 12 hour work days, driving thousands of miles each month, all over the country wearing you van & equipment out faster, that don’t really count unless your doing double the income.

You’re not only a ‘window cleaner’ you’re building & running a business, which can be just a skilful as being a carpenter.

Richard

Hi Mate, yes all of those things & more; re-read your own comments on window cleaning.

If it’s that basic, you should be able to go and build a window cleaning business within 12-36 months that then can turn over £50,000 plus per year.

If you have done it with a huge amount of overtime each week with higher cost i.e. working a 7 day week with 12 hour work days, driving thousands of miles each month, all over the country wearing you van & equipment out faster, that don’t really count unless your doing double the income.

You’re not only a ‘window cleaner’ you’re building & running a business, which can be just a skilful as being a carpenter.

Richard
I didn't mean to offend, I am sure it isn't as basic as I said it is I was just putting that comment out there to get some answers. If it is harder than just using a squeegee (dragging it down) then detailing- what do i need to do to improve? ( I already did a course in Swindon.) Should I stay traditional? And are you saying it's all about how you run your business, what do you mean by that? Marketing, being on time, pleasing the customer? How do you run your own business then?
Were you joking with your comments on £50,000 a year in 18 months? I thought that by partly taking it slow for now I would work out pricing better, rather than rushing into it and undercharging (which I've done already)! I now know that I should aim for £20/hr contact time- so £10 for a 30 min bungalow.

With your other comments do you mean that going too far between houses will cost in petrol and time and lose money so that customers need to be managed?

I am still learning!

I didn't mean to offend, I am sure it isn't as basic as I said it is I was just putting that comment out there to get some answers. If it is harder than just using a squeegee (dragging it down) then detailing- what do i need to do to improve? ( I already did a course in Swindon.) Should I stay traditional? And are you saying it's all about how you run your business, what do you mean by that? Marketing, being on time, pleasing the customer? How do you run your own business then?

Were you joking with your comments on £50,000 a year in 18 months? I thought that by partly taking it slow for now I would work out pricing better, rather than rushing into it and undercharging (which I've done already)! I now know that I should aim for £20/hr contact time- so £10 for a 30 min bungalow.

With your other comments do you mean that going too far between houses will cost in petrol and time and lose money so that customers need to be managed?

I am still learning!
Cleaning glass is easy.. My 3 year old loves helping me clean our windows.. It's making the business a success that's the hard bit.

You could be flat out 5 days a week.. Or you could work 3 easy half days.. But still earn the same money.. You want to make it worth your while.. Window cleaning is a numbers game.. The numbers need constant attention.. You should be aiming to earn as much as you can in the shortest time..

If you haven't already.. I'd recommend a book called winning at window cleaning.. It will help you plan things out and help you see where you want to get to

Hi buzzing

Being able to use a squeegee or wfp has little to do with the business side of things.

It’s not complicated, but rounds are different and you need to decide on what you want - work out how much you want to invest; you can set up and run a window cleaning business on £3 per day, if you remain trad and stay local and service the customers within walking distance from where you are based. Or you could do it for £30 per day with wfp set up covering a wider area with your county; the cost can be higher or anything in between the two figures.

Your hourly rate & prices are both linked to the total number of hours worked, costs and the average number of customers serviced per hour.

Read as much as you can, than come up with a plan. Change quickly what doesn’t work for you, and do more of what is working.

Richard

(Thanks for the recommendation Peter)

Cleaning glass is easy.. My 3 year old loves helping me clean our windows.. It's making the business a success that's the hard bit.

You could be flat out 5 days a week.. Or you could work 3 easy half days.. But still earn the same money.. You want to make it worth your while.. Window cleaning is a numbers game.. The numbers need constant attention.. You should be aiming to earn as much as you can in the shortest time..

If you haven't already.. I'd recommend a book called winning at window cleaning.. It will help you plan things out and help you see where you want to get to
can't find that book on amazon?

can't find that book on amazon?
The book is available direct from Tecbuk. With the forum discount; I think it covers the cost of the forum VIP membership, so it is worth considering joining the VIP.

The ‘Winning at window cleaning’ book primarily deals with pricing in conjunction with your own round, giving you options, so you are able to plan what you wont to do and then go on to achieve the maximum net profit; there is no point in leaving money on the table for each day you go to work. The potential loss of money is calculable and is huge.

Setting up your business is the 1st step, Sales (getting customers) is the 2nd step, and Pricing is the 3rd step – which is often over-looked completely. You can abandon the 3rd option, pricing, and still run a business.

Richard

The book is available direct from Tecbuk. With the forum discount; I think it covers the cost of the forum VIP membership, so it is worth considering joining the VIP.

The ‘Winning at window cleaning’ book primarily deals with pricing in conjunction with your own round, giving you options, so you are able to plan what you wont to do and then go on to achieve the maximum net profit; there is no point in leaving money on the table for each day you go to work. The potential loss of money is calculable and is huge.

Setting up your business is the 1st step, Sales (getting customers) is the 2nd step, and Pricing is the 3rd step – which is often over-looked completely. You can abandon the 3rd option, pricing, and still run a business.

Richard
Richard, are you the author?

buzzing you can go ahead and buy now from the website; if you can wait a couple of days and sign up for the Special Offers on the website tecbuk.com before the end of the month (July) you will then receive an email where the book ‘Winning at Window Cleaning’ will be on Special Offer.

Richard

Back