Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Hi all, all guidance is very appreciated

WCF

Help Support WCF:

You'll find some windys will see you as a threat, others will see you as a fellow professional trying to earn a living, and be friendly. I've not been on here for a while but @Incheckis in Cardiff, and I'm a bit further down the road in Swansea. If you are looking at just gutters then the list of what you'll need to start out is simple, if you want to do more it starts getting more expensive.

The good news is Welsh water keep there tds quite low, chatting to other windys I've not known it be above 100ppm, which is good for purifying water.

If you want to ask anything about equipment etc feel free to drop me a message. May take a couple days to get back to you, I'm rushed off my feet atm.

Thanks for all words of advice thus far.

Was wondering what experience people have with facelift compact starter kits .. from the photo attached it looks quite neat, but I don’t really know what I’m looking at ? 

How often would the resin/filters ideally need to be changed ?

C1B295A3-DE57-43C7-9C1B-727A31264EBB.png

You can build your own system for a fraction of the price, and have the additional perk of being able to fix it/replace parts yourself, and have a better understanding of how the system works.

That being said, I've heard good things.

Hi pal, since I decided to give it a shot I’ve been trawling the YouTube videos non stop, I was never much of a YouTubed before but now I’ve found myself setting up notifications for when the WFP lads upload a new video ?

green pro clean

AN lifestyle 

A.E.McIntosh

i also found a young fella Kye Horton (maybe??) who video’d virtually right from the start and then continued to upload his progression .. inspiring to watch. 

There is a guy who lives relatively near me who installs setups in his spare time - he also offers training courses which interests me.. every little helps I guess. 

But your starting out situation with the setup and installation is something I hope to avoid, I want to get it on the button first time around, that’s why DIY seems the proper route to go. 

Do you mind me asking what van and setup you have ? Would you have a few photos for me by any chance - I love seeing others setups but can’t find much on YouTube regarding it 

Thank you ?
Kye is a nice lad from potters bar / Barnet area in london.

He showed the struggles you new guys will face which is good rather than just showing the good like most do.

You'll find some windys will see you as a threat, others will see you as a fellow professional trying to earn a living, and be friendly. I've not been on here for a while but @Incheckis in Cardiff, and I'm a bit further down the road in Swansea. If you are looking at just gutters then the list of what you'll need to start out is simple, if you want to do more it starts getting more expensive.

The good news is Welsh water keep there tds quite low, chatting to other windys I've not known it be above 100ppm, which is good for purifying water.

If you want to ask anything about equipment etc feel free to drop me a message. May take a couple days to get back to you, I'm rushed off my feet atm.
See him off lol.

Get off my patch?

Would that mean I’d have to replace double the amount of resin every time or am I barking up the wrong tree ?
No as the 1st resin cylinder takes the tap water to 0 and once it starts rising the 2nd does that job but the water coming from the 1st one is still a lot lower than your tap water.

Once it gets to the same as your tap tds you remove the 1st one and use the 2nd one as the 1st one and refill the old 1st one with fresh resin and put it 2nd if that makes sense.

This prolongs the life of your resin quite a lot apart from the initial cost of using double.

Hope that makes sense to you.

Would that mean I’d have to replace double the amount of resin every time or am I barking up the wrong tree ?
What I do, and I believe most others do the same is: When the tds readings start to climb, replace the resin in the upstream vessel only, as that one will have done most of the polishing so will normally be the most depleted, and put that vessel in the second (downstream) position. Move the other one to the upstream position to now take the brunt of the polishing. That way you'll get the most out of the resin. Ie, the older resin goes first in line with  the flow to take the brunt, the newer resin goes second and will do the final polish. Replace one at a time and make sure to swap positions so that that the newer one is always at the downstream (second) position.

This is way simpler than perhaps I made it sound. Apologies for that but it's important to get it right as you should be able to save quite a bit of money by getting the absolute most out of your resin. ?

Welcome to the gang and the very best of luck in your new business venture. ?Take some time over a coffee and think it through perhaps, just to get your head around it. It will all get easier as you get into it.

Last edited by a moderator:
What I do, and I believe most others do the same is: When the tds readings start to climb, replace the resin in the upstream vessel only, as that one will have done most of the polishing so will normally be the most depleted, and put that vessel in the second (downstream) position. Move the other one to the upstream position to now take the brunt of the polishing. That way you'll get the most out of the resin. Ie, the older resin goes first in line with  the flow to take the brunt, the newer resin goes second and will do the final polish. Replace one at a time and make sure to swap positions so that that the newer one is always at the downstream (second) position.

This is way simpler than perhaps I made it sound. Apologies for that but it's important to get it right as you should be able to save quite a bit of money by getting the absolute most out of your resin. ?

Welcome to the gang and the very best of luck in your new business venture. ?Take some time over a coffee and think it through perhaps, just to get your head around it. It will all get easier as you get into it.
That's what I was trying to say Dave.

Once you get your head round it it makes perfect sense. 

Wish my tds wasn't 340 or I would do it.

Buying from spotless at the mo as waiting for new resin to arrive but always have a 7l di in the van for emergencies if I need extra water at end of the day etc.. just connect to a custys tap with my 100m of garden hose for my pressure washer and top up.

That's what I was trying to say Dave.

Once you get your head round it it makes perfect sense. 

Wish my tds wasn't 340 or I would do it.

Buying from spotless at the mo as waiting for new resin to arrive but always have a 7l di in the van for emergencies if I need extra water at end of the day etc.. just connect to a custys tap with my 100m of garden hose for my pressure washer and top up.
Morning gents. Thanks for the tips, I’m sure I understand what you both mean.. 

2 vessels, take resin from second vessel and put it into first, dispose of what was in vessel #1 and put new into #2 - always stick to the same rotation that way the most fresher resin will always be going into #1

thank you lads, genuinely appreciate it. 

2 vessels, take resin from second vessel and put it into first, dispose of what was in vessel #1 and put new into #2 - always stick to the same rotation that way the most fresher resin will always be going into #1

Swap the vessels round .

No mate you've got that wrong I'll try and explain better but it's early in the morning so give me a break. ?

Once the first di starts rising put it to 2nd ( nearest the tank) and put another di in position 1. 

Then when It starts rising again you move your 2nd di into first place and put new resin inthe di tank that was in 2nd place and move it to 1st place. 

Hope you can understand that as I was getting confused myself ??

No mate you've got that wrong I'll try and explain better but it's early in the morning so give me a break. ?

Once the first di starts rising put it to 2nd ( nearest the tank) and put another di in position 1. 

Then when It starts rising again you move your 2nd di into first place and put new resin inthe di tank that was in 2nd place and move it to 1st place. 

Hope you can understand that as I was getting confused myself ??
And you got it wrong lol.

You always want the oldest resin first then the new to give it a final polish.

Not quite. Dispose of the resin in #1, put #2 in first position without removing or changing the resin. Refill what had been #1 with new resin and put it in #2. Continue the same rotation, as you say. BUT, make sure that the fresher resin is always in position #2. There's no need to take the resin from one and put it in the other. Simply change the vessel positioning.

Not quite. Dispose of the resin in #1, put #2 in first position without removing or changing the resin. Refill what had been #1 with new resin and put it in #2. Continue the same rotation, as you say. BUT, make sure that the fresher resin is always in position #2. There's no need to take the resin from one and put it in the other. Simply change the vessel positioning.
Why couldn't I explain it like that, I'm blaming it on me only being up and not having a coffee yet .

In all honesty I was quite scared when it came to quoting a price, it came to the point where before I’d even seen the job I’d have a Set price in my head - £15 for a front or back length of gutter £25 for front and back - I honestly thought the area I live in (not the wealthiest) dictated what I should be charging PLUS I was lumping it around in my scirocco which didn’t look professional at all .. which bothered me haha
If it's any help. I generally charge £3 a metre for high gutter empties, £2 a metre for low, with a minimum of £25 a side. The ladders rarely come off the van for less than £50. No free checks due to the work and risk involved.

My area is North Wiltshire / South Cotswolds.

Why couldn't I explain it like that, I'm blaming it on me only being up and not having a coffee yet .
How are you mate? ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Posts

Back