Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Hi-mod worth it?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Mark Hands

Currently just got a 35ft Ova-8 as a newbie I went with the logic of buy one pole that can reach everything and get a lighter one in the future (Definitely wouldn't do this again).

I like the Ova-8 and had no issues so far so now looking to get a 22ft to be my day to day pole so looking for peoples opinions on whether or not the Hi-Mod is worth the extra money or should I just go with the standard 22ft?

Currently just got a 35ft Ova-8 as a newbie I went with the logic of buy one pole that can reach everything and get a lighter one in the future (Definitely wouldn't do this again).

I like the Ova-8 and had no issues so far so now looking to get a 22ft to be my day to day pole so looking for peoples opinions on whether or not the Hi-Mod is worth the extra money or should I just go with the standard 22ft?
I don't have the 22ft hi mod but have the normal and I've had it 8 months it's perfect still I ummed and argued at the hi mod but decided it wasn't worth it happy that I did

I use my Xtreme 18 for 90% of my work and you could add poles or buy a 25 and add poles. I run with an 18' and a 25' in my van all the time. Only need the 35' pole twice every two months.

I use my Xtreme 18 for 90% of my work and you could add poles or buy a 25 and add poles. I run with an 18' and a 25' in my van all the time. Only need the 35' pole twice every two months.
I'd be interested to hear your opinion on the difference in diameter of the Xtreme 18 and the 25. Which diameter do you find is easiest to grip and work with? Obviously the 18 is 31mm and the 25 is 34mm. I'm looking at getting an 18 and using my SLX-22 for the windows where it's needed but not sure whether the shorter diameter is a benefit or not as good.

I'd be interested to hear your opinion on the difference in diameter of the Xtreme 18 and the 25. Which diameter do you find is easiest to grip and work with? Obviously the 18 is 31mm and the 25 is 34mm. I'm looking at getting an 18 and using my SLX-22 for the windows where it's needed but not sure whether the shorter diameter is a benefit or not as good.
I always wear tru touch gloves when cleaning. I feel the 18' is the perfect pole and even use it on bungalows. Best pole & brush combination i have arrived at (Xtreme 18' , Univalve, hoseless, 35cm Xtreme stiff with red jets, long angle Gooseneck ) It took me a while and a few bob to come up with this combination but it works for me. Spray WD40 everyday in my reel ezy snap fittings so they don't stick. After a while it all comes together and we run with the most efficient set-up to save time. ?

I don't get why the conversation has gone off track onto gardiner poles.... but since it has I used gardiner poles for 15 years they where great until the last 5 years and now because the volume of sales has gone up the quality of the poles has gone down hill.

In my opinion gardiner brushes are the best but the poles are **** they need to get with the times has for me the round pole has had its time good to see xline stepping up to the plate with there new hex shape poles and ova8 poles aren't perfect but better than gardiner.

Stihl has moved over to an oval hex pole which has been their best achievement. Round poles are fine if someone designs a clamp that holds them inplace which will be the biggest improvement.

Honestly I think it's all about the strength of the carbon. I find the gardiner wears too quick.

I'm sure people on here will agree that you bought a gardiner back in the day sit would last 3 to 5 years now my last two I had them no longer than two and then binned. I look after all my equipment cleaned weekly.

Up your game gardiner I'm.sure they will be working with a Chinese factory on a new shaped pole

I don't get why the conversation has gone off track onto gardiner poles.... but since it has I used gardiner poles for 15 years they where great until the last 5 years and now because the volume of sales has gone up the quality of the poles has gone down hill.

In my opinion gardiner brushes are the best but the poles are **** they need to get with the times has for me the round pole has had its time good to see xline stepping up to the plate with there new hex shape poles and ova8 poles aren't perfect but better than gardiner.
Probably because the Xtreme is high mod. Whilst I fully agree with you that Gardiners quality, especially the clamps, has got worse the Xtreme 22 is cheaper and lighter than the competition and my Xtreme is 2 years old, had very little maintenance done on it so stands me nothing.

yeah been pretty happy with my ova 8. Had it for 3 years now and still going strong. Have they sorted out that problem yet with play where the clamps sit on the shafts? I had to remedy this by wrapping some electrical tape on the top of the shafts where the clamps sit. Mind you mine was one of the early ones.

We have all gardiner poles but have tried most other makes over the years but find Gardiner’s are the best we never clean them or vary rarely do ,I haven’t found the quality or life span of them has altered ? I think at last count we have around 27 of them and have clx,six, extream and ultimate .

How does a pole, or pole section 'fail'? Does it snap?
Mine has just had it's first section go (SLX-22), basically it is the 3rd section (3rd one from the brush) and it's not snapped it's just gone soft like you could press your thumb into the part where it has gone. It's happened about 3 inches away from the clamp. I was closing a window and suddenly heard this horrible crack, I thought it would be day over at that point but I've actually carried on using it for the past 2 weeks, just not closed any windows with it.

I got a new section arrive on Friday and I'm going to get it all ready today and check it over.

I've heard of poles have a clean 'snap' though. The thought of that scares me, imagine it coming down when you're stood underneath it ?

Thanks for the reply, good to know, yeah it's the total failure that could really screw things up! Days waiting for a replacement if like me you only have one pole!

Back