Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Holidays/ sickness/pension

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Davidpatrick1978

1. Hello guys not quite at retirement yet but I know some are not far off on here ? how do u go about putting money aside for pension pots when self employed 

2. what do you do if ur a window cleaner and in the summer u want 2 or 3 holidays a year how do u change customers around I’d like to get them done before I went away but how is it done if u go away for 2 weeks or 1 weeks how do u keep everything good in respect to the business and not have to worry about anything when I return 

3. sickness pay I know u don’t get paid when ur sick but we’re all humans and everyone gets sick what do u do to compensate theses days 

I know people will say look at the Foram but I like addressing things like this keep on trucking boys 

1. Hello guys not quite at retirement yet but I know some are not far off on here ? how do u go about putting money aside for pension pots when self employed 

2. what do you do if ur a window cleaner and in the summer u want 2 or 3 holidays a year how do u change customers around I’d like to get them done before I went away but how is it done if u go away for 2 weeks or 1 weeks how do u keep everything good in respect to the business and not have to worry about anything when I return 

3. sickness pay I know u don’t get paid when ur sick but we’re all humans and everyone gets sick what do u do to compensate theses days 

I know people will say look at the Foram but I like addressing things like this keep on trucking boys 
1. Invest it in property 

2. Just go away on holiday let them know you will be a couple of weeks late if you can , do commercial work before you go or alter slightly if you can . 

3.Accident insurance will cover anything major , don’t worry about normal sickness over a few months it should be possible to put aside enough to cover the odd week hear and there .

High interest account and save save save 

Tell your customers your having a holiday and fly away 

Haven't had a day of sick in 15 years and if I am off there's a valid reason 

Retirement? I'm 21 years away from that and if I make to 66 I'll party like it's 1992 

High interest account and save save save 

Tell your customers your having a holiday and fly away 

Haven't had a day of sick in 15 years and if I am off there's a valid reason 

Retirement? I'm 21 years away from that and if I make to 66 I'll party like it's 1992 
There is no such thing as high interest  accounts at this time it’s been very low for several, years , property is the best investment .

How can u save enough window cleaning to get a property I’ve 26  years left to work till retirement but might not have anything but state and that ****
If you can afford to buy a bit bigger property than you need then down size later that’s one way to get a nest egg or if you can afford it get a second house now rent it out and use the rent to pay  the mortgage , that is a win win as the properties goes up in value your investment is considerably increased . I know many people that are doing this then once you get established you can repeat the process . It takes planning and a good business head but a lot are doing this type of investment m pensions are a very outdated way to plan for the future especially private ones .    

If you can afford to buy a bit bigger property than you need then down size later that’s one way to get a nest egg or if you can afford it get a second house now rent it out and use the rent to pay  the mortgage , that is a win win as the properties goes up in value your investment is considerably increased . I know many people that are doing this then once you get established you can repeat the process . It takes planning and a good business head but a lot are doing this type of investment m pensions are a very outdated way to plan for the future especially private ones .    
That's fine if you get good tenants, plenty of scum in our town, people from outside the area have bought the cheaper terraced houses and will stick anyone in them, 

My Father in-law says invest in the stock market, just the blue chip companies for example banks and supermarkets the things that are always going to be making profits and hardly ever fail, not something I've not looked into yet but could yield more than property or a pension investment, my father in-law has dabbled a bit for a good few years 

Pensions are now just a good savings account as you take every single penny out and possibly invest a good chunk of that into something in the future

Last edited by a moderator:
That's fine if you get good tenants, plenty of scum in our town, people from outside the area have bought the cheaper terraced houses and will stick anyone in them, 

My Father in-law says invest in the stock market, just the blue chip companies for example banks and supermarkets the things that are always going to be making profits and hardly ever fail, not something I've not looked into yet but could yield more than property or a pension investment, my father in-law has dabbled a bit for a good few years 

Pensions are now just a good savings account as you take every single penny out and possibly invest a good chunk of that into something in the future
Totally agree about tenants in this day and age to rent a property out you really need to to it through a good agent as the law is getting very complicated about what has to be covered . Also a good letting agent will do 3-6 monthly inspections and provide a report with photos , any issues and they deal with it . Always ask for references and let to professional   People this greatly reduces any problems . 

As for blue chip companies and the stock market I know nothing about that but a friend who is a financial adviser told me only invest what you can afford to loose as there have been so many large firms that initially appear safe have gone bust .

Pensions unless they are very good ones from the likes of the police , fire service although the latest ones arnt anywhere near as good as the old ones or unless you have been the MD or CEO  or another high ranking member of staff arnt that good I have many friends approaching retirement that are quite worried about the amount they will get , the only way in my book is to plan for yourself with investment in property as this is a steady increase in the original capitol and income from it will always go up . 

Don’t move anything around. Just tell them you’ll be late round next time and go.

Baffles me the amount of people on here that worry their a few days late because of weather/holidays etc. This is all because of ‘scheduling’.

If you just said ‘see you in roughly 6-7 weeks’, you could have a day off when ever you like. I’ve never had a schedule and average 3-4 holidays a year not including Christmas. Never had any problems. This is surely one of the reasons for being self employed  :coffee:

1/ put a monthly amount in a SIPP. Put it in a world index tracker and forget it. 

2/tell ‘em you’ll be late next time, or if it’s only a week just turn up late. 

3/ you need some cash savings, for bad weather and illness. 

P.S I’ll never ever tell you to do a search. There’s nothing more irritating.  Might as well shut the forum down and use it as a research tool. 

Last edited by a moderator:
1/ put a monthly amount in a SIPP. Put it in a world index tracker and forget it. 

2/tell ‘em you’ll be late next time, or if it’s only a week just turn up late. 

3/ you need some cash savings, for bad weather and illness. 

P.S I’ll never ever tell you to do a search. There’s nothing more irritating.  Might as well shut the forum down and use it as a research tool. 
Agreed - people want up to date info, not info that's years old. Too many people on here these days saying use the search bar....

Absolutely. If you don’t want to answer a common question, just clear off and do something else. ??
To be fair every week ones come on hear asking exactly the same questions , I for  one am happy to help anyone but it gets a bit tedious replying  to the same questions every week , it doesn’t hurt for ones to try and search answers to the common questions . 

Don’t move anything around. Just tell them you’ll be late round next time and go.

Baffles me the amount of people on here that worry their a few days late because of weather/holidays etc. This is all because of ‘scheduling’.

If you just said ‘see you in roughly 6-7 weeks’, you could have a day off when ever you like. I’ve never had a schedule and average 3-4 holidays a year not including Christmas. Never had any problems. This is surely one of the reasons for being self employed  :coffee:
Thankyou Steve 

To be fair every week ones come on hear asking exactly the same questions , I for  one am happy to help anyone but it gets a bit tedious replying  to the same questions every week , it doesn’t hurt for ones to try and search answers to the common questions . 
Yes, but should I buy a CLX or SLX pole?  ???

Latest Posts

Back