Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Homemade alternative to backpack.

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I have enjoyed this very informative post. I was wondering how many houses one 25l container can do. Lets say just the top windows... With an average of five windows per house. Just a rough amount of which I am looking for? Thank you???
It's impossible to say. Each person uses different amounts of water. Also, if you are new to water fed window cleaning, you will use more water to get the same level of cleanliness as you will when you become experienced. And… the first clean with water fed always uses more water than subsequent cleans.

So, you might start using 25L per house and when experienced use 6 x containers for a full day's work. Depending on you, your brush, the type work you do and number of houses.

But do those cheap pumps last very long compared to a say one of these @jimmyboots ?
http://www.purefreedom.co.uk/12v-100psi-52lpm-shurflo-diaphragm-pump-p-258.html
The shurflo pump is a quality pump which is why I took no chances and used one when I made the van mount with 6mm ID microbore.

I only use the van mount for big jobs though and single houses that i drive to full WFP.

For my daily domestic work I use the Trolley I made doing tops only WFP. This suits my work.

I have done this for the last 1 1/2 years with 2 Trolleys that I made. I haven't had a pump pack in on me yet. or even a pressure switch. Just 1 relay burnt out. I am constantly on/off with the water 2 or 3 times a window so the relay gets worked quite a bit.

This is the pump I used on both the Trolleys, and have bought a couple of spares.

I gave my first Trolley to my brother in law.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-DC-80PSI-Diaphragm-Water-Pressure-Pump-High-PSI-Model-for-Garden-Marine-Boat-/311021749781

Last edited by a moderator:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
what through a 100m micro/minibore hose with a pulse width a modulators?
Yep I have a 100m extension hose that I use with it [emoji3] I regularly clean 3 storey houses, and have an extension for my SLX-30 for the stuff even higher!

Maybe I got lucky and just got a really good one (not built on a Friday afternoon)?

I did not realise I had kinked my pole hose today so went back to the van and there was an almighty pop. The pressure blew a hole straight through the hose on the outlet side of the gas hot water heater. So yes I flooded my van again @Tuffers with steaming hot water this time /emoticons/biggrin.png

Hey jimmy boots. Ho have you fitted the battery in so it don't move. Can see the tie wraps but how do they hold the battery in so it don't move.

Hey jimmy boots. Ho have you fitted the battery in so it don't move. Can see the tie wraps but how do they hold the battery in so it don't move.
I burned small holes through the box at the right points mate. I used a electric soldering iron, or you can heat the end of a flat end screw driver and burn small holes through :thumbsup:

Sorry for coming back to the relay again @jimmyboots but...

It that wiring diagram right - do you really put the relay after the pressure switch and before the positive pump termina, and not 'Before' the pressure switch i.e. on the other red wire to the pump?

Sorry, I am not doubting you as I still don't really understand the relay, even though I have been trying to read up on them. It's just that if it protects the pressure switch, would it not be before it in line with the power feed

I asked about this before also.

I don't think the relay does anything.

Also, The on/off switch is in the wrong place, it should be before the flow control and relay. Otherwise the battery is always holding the relay on?, even when your switch is off.

I'm sure I must be missing something here regards your relay.

Can you please show the relay connections.

Eg On the relay;

which connections are for the 'solenoid' ?and

which are the 'switch' ?

Last edited:
The on/off switch is in the wrong place, it should be before the flow control and relay.
First. The on/off switch can go before or after the flow control. it doesnt matter if a current is reaching it or not unless as Posh said he has an LED on it that he doesn't want on. (like your TV when you put it on standby, or a plug extension with LED on). These modulators are just cheap controlling the amount of current to the pump motor, NOT the ones like Varistream or Spring etc

Sorry for coming back to the relay again @jimmyboots but...
It that wiring diagram right - do you really put the relay after the pressure switch and before the positive pump terminal, and not 'Before' the pressure switch i.e. on the other red wire to the pump?

Sorry, I am not doubting you as I still don't really understand the relay, even though I have been trying to read up on them. It's just that if it protects the pressure switch, would it not be before it in line with the power feed
The relay. The same is with a relay. It doesn't matter if a current is always reaching it or not. the live from the pump to the pressure switch is cut and passes through the relay (see diagram) so the relay acts before the pressure switch in cutting out the pump. You will know that it works as you can hear it click every time the pump cuts out.

For over 18 months I have cleaned around 100 houses a week (tops only) with this and another trolley wired the same. Not one pressure switch has burned out on me yet and only one relay has failed. I am in constant control of the water switching on/off around 2 times for every window so my relay is getting worked A LOT. The little pressure switch on the pump just wouldn't stand up to this use.

You don't have to put a relay in if you don't want to. Just wire straight to the pressure switch.

(PS. I am no electrician, but like DIY and it works for me ):thumbsup:

I have exactly the same pump in my box. I don't have a relay in mine although I do think it's a good idea.

Having said that, it has had about a year of fairly heavy use, everyday, all day and has never burned out. So it must be a pretty decent pressure switch on it.

I also use an aquadapter so it's on off for every window.

Canyou please show the relay connections.

Eg On the relay;

There is 4 terminals on a relay:

which are the 'switch' ?

(PS. I am an electrician, and your diagram is not working out right in my mind.)

Last edited:
… the live from the pump to the pressure switch is cut and passes through the relay (see diagram) so the relay acts before the pressure switch in cutting out the pump. You will know that it works as you can hear it click every time the pump cuts out.
Hi, I don't think I explained myself right. You are saying above, what I thought 'should' happen, but doesn't look like it is in your wiring diagram.

Ok, here is a picture of my pump.

There are two red wires. One goes from the battery to the pressure switch, the other from the pressure switch to the actual pump.

The wiring diagram shows the relay going after the pressure switch and before the actual pump. I was wondering if it is supposed to go into the other wire - between the battery and the pressure switch, to protect the pressure switch.

Canyou please show the relay connections.Eg On the relay;

There is 4 terminals on a relay:

which are the 'switch' ?

(PS. I am an electrician, and your diagram is not working out right in my mind.)
The connections are numbered as you know. I have 30...as live going in. 85 as neutral. 86, 87 to switch. If you think its wired wrong I,ll be happy to change the wires tomorrow and see if it works differently, :thumbsup: but I hear it click when it works ??

Hi, I don't think I explained myself right. You are saying above, what I thought 'should' happen, but doesn't look like it is in your wiring diagram.
Ok, here is a picture of my pump.

There are two red wires. One goes from the battery to the pressure switch, the other from the pressure switch to the actual pump.

The wiring diagram shows the relay going after the pressure switch and before the actual pump. I was wondering if it is supposed to go into the other wire - between the battery and the pressure switch, to protect the pressure switch.
I cant really tell the wires on your pump mate. The pumps I use have the main wire going in to the pump and then a live going to and from the pressure switch. Cutting one of these wires and connecting to the relay, works. Trial and error which one. I disconnected each from the ends and tried each one to find the right one before cutting it.

Ok,

Your diagram seems to be showing that the power goes like this

Battery

Flow control

Switch

Pump

Last edited:
Back