Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

How much would you want to sell your round right now

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Jamesmarshall

Title says it all

how much do you personally value your round at

the people who sell at 3x monthly are in my opinion desperate or can not do the work for some reason so HAVE to sell 

i would value my work many times more than 3x and personally wouldn’t sell for anything less than that really 

I’ve built it over 10 years, this has took a big chunk of my life

I would want around 100k for my round. You may think I’m daft and I’d never get it but that’s what I’d want right now for it and I’d still be in 2 minds as to sell or not at that price

what do you guys value yours at?

Title says it all

the people who sell at 3x monthly are in my opinion desperate or can not do the work for some reason so HAVE to sell 

i would value my work many times more than 3x and personally wouldn’t sell for anything less than that really 

I would want around 100k for my round. You may think I’m daft and I’d never get it but that’s what I’d want right now for it and I’d still be in 2 minds as to sell or not at that price

Wouldn't sell it and the talk of money on here is getting depressing. It's painting a false representation to all the newbies starting out giving them false hopes of quick financial gains 

Sorry that's my opinion 

I probably wouldn’t for 100k just wondered what people value they’re round at

It isn’t giving newbies any sense of anything as people struggle to sell rounds at 3x it’s very unlikely we’re going to be selling at over 10x is it . As I stated above it took me 10 years to build my round so clearly isn’t a quick financial raise is it 

ive never heard of a domestic round that’s selling on good will and basically is just a list of customers and prices selling at 10x or above have you 

it’s a talking point no need for the negativity bro

It'd have to be enough to retire on! I currently couldn't imagine doing anything else, so i would just have to build it up again.

Title says it all

A window cleaning round itself is worth nothing. All you are doing is selling goodwill and goodwill is an intangible asset.

According to Investopedia, goodwill is defined as the "portion of the purchase price that is higher than the sum of the net fair value of all of the assets purchased in the acquisition and the liabilities assumed in the process. Goodwill is different from most other intangible assets, having an indefinite life, while most other intangible assets have a finite useful life."

In other words, if that new cleaner lost every window cleaning job in his new round, the round he purchased would be worth nothing, especially if he hasn't bought any equipment or other physical assets.

Many years ago I worked for Reg Vardy, back then the third biggest motor dealership in the UK. If, for example, Vauxhall approached him and asked him if he was interested in buying a dealership in a certain city, he would value that dealership on the value of the physical assets, ie the land, buildings, location, etc. He would not add any value for past sales to their customers as, in his words, "we will canvass and promote our own customer base." If he believed he needed to modify a building and/or forecourt to better promote the brand under his name, he would reduce his offer accordingly. Often an inventory of spare parts was added to the value of the dealership. He wouldn't buy any parts or any other items like computers or other office equipment - just the bare shell of the building and land.

Interestingly, when he sold out the Evans Halshaw he valued his business to include goodwill and Evans Halshaw accepted that as the acquisition made them one of the biggest dealerships in the country.

In the beginning, we did purchase a trad round. This didn't go as smoothly as I saw it in my head going when my son did the deal. When we needed to expand, we canvassed an area that the window cleaner used to work in and we got a lot of his 'abandoned' work. He did offer to sell us more work but we declined.

My valuation of my round is much higher than it's actually worth. We paid 3x for the trad round. I might say our round is worth 10x but who is going to work my round for more than a year without seeing any financial reward? I wouldn't. We paid 1/2 up front for the list of names and addresses and part of the deal was that the windie worked along with us and introduced us to our new customers. We then paid the remainder off after 3 months, less the customers who didn't go with us.

If you buy a window cleaning round, you can't claim the cost as a business expense against tax. However, if you sell it in a few years time for twice what you paid for it, then you are required to pay tax against the 'profit.'

Title says it all

The simple answer to this is any round is only worth what someone is prepared to pay for  it , they arnt getting any tangible assets all they are buying is good will and a list of names and addresses and as such they are taking a huge risk , the customers might not like the new guy and tell him to sling his hook , and get someone else in . Ime not prepared to say how much value in work we have on the books but let’s just say it’s a sizeable sum ,but I doubt anyone would pay me 4 cleans price for it as they would need a huge bank loan they would be taking a large risk .i feel some of our work is worth 10x the monthly  income but again no one would pay that as it would take to long to get there money back 

I probably wouldn’t for 100k just wondered what people value they’re round at

It isn’t giving newbies any sense of anything as people struggle to sell rounds at 3x it’s very unlikely we’re going to be selling at over 10x is it . As I stated above it took me 10 years to build my round so clearly isn’t a quick financial raise is it 

ive never heard of a domestic round that’s selling on good will and basically is just a list of customers and prices selling at 10x or above have you 

it’s a talking point no need for the negativity bro
I'm not being negative, just stating my opinion and views. Posts like these are just ego massaging exercises as a round is worth nothing and I'd never pay for a promise.

With respect, I'm not your "Bro" either 

A window cleaning round itself is worth nothing. All you are doing is selling goodwill and goodwill is an intangible asset.

According to Investopedia, goodwill is defined as the "portion of the purchase price that is higher than the sum of the net fair value of all of the assets purchased in the acquisition and the liabilities assumed in the process. Goodwill is different from most other intangible assets, having an indefinite life, while most other intangible assets have a finite useful life."

In other words, if that new cleaner lost every window cleaning job in his new round, the round he purchased would be worth nothing, especially if he hasn't bought any equipment or other physical assets.

Many years ago I worked for Reg Vardy, back then the third biggest motor dealership in the UK. If, for example, Vauxhall approached him and asked him if he was interested in buying a dealership in a certain city, he would value that dealership on the value of the physical assets, ie the land, buildings, location, etc. He would not add any value for past sales to their customers as, in his words, "we will canvass and promote our own customer base." If he believed he needed to modify a building and/or forecourt to better promote the brand under his name, he would reduce his offer accordingly. Often an inventory of spare parts was added to the value of the dealership. He wouldn't buy any parts or any other items like computers or other office equipment - just the bare shell of the building and land.

Interestingly, when he sold out the Evans Halshaw he valued his business to include goodwill and Evans Halshaw accepted that as the acquisition made them one of the biggest dealerships in the country.

In the beginning, we did purchase a trad round. This didn't go as smoothly as I saw it in my head going when my son did the deal. When we needed to expand, we canvassed an area that the window cleaner used to work in and we got a lot of his 'abandoned' work. He did offer to sell us more work but we declined.

My valuation of my round is much higher than it's actually worth. We paid 3x for the trad round. I might say our round is worth 10x but who is going to work my round for more than a year without seeing any financial reward? I wouldn't. We paid 1/2 up front for the list of names and addresses and part of the deal was that the windie worked along with us and introduced us to our new customers. We then paid the remainder off after 3 months, less the customers who didn't go with us.

If you buy a window cleaning round, you can't claim the cost as a business expense against tax. However, if you sell it in a few years time for twice what you paid for it, then you are required to pay tax against the 'profit.'
Reg Vardy, is that the bloke from on the buses? ??

I'd want £20k for my whole round which is roughly 5 times it's monthly value but its getting someone to pay it...my round has been established for 28 years...

I'd probably sell it off in smaller chunks if I couldn't find a buyer...

Title says it all

Your living in jamesmarshalls world,not the real world ? ??

You might get 5 times it's monthly value if your lucky,that's it.....

Title should have been what do you value it at then . Not a chance I’d be selling at 5x monthly 
I know window cleaners who just stopped and left their rounds unserviced because they couldn't sell them...luckily for me I managed to build a round myself off the back of these retiring windys bit by bit over the years....

You don't 'own' your customers...a round is only worth what someone is prepared to pay for it....

YOU don't dictate the price THEY do...

I think the going rate is between 3 and 6 times the monthly turnover.  I've bought at 3, don't think I'd pay more than that to be honest.  Too depressing.  

The problem is , it depends on the work. If it’s a couple of days scattered all over the place then you might as well canvas it. So it’s probably only worth x3. 
 If you want prime compact work, say 2 days in the same road of well priced houses, the only way to get it is

1/ Get lucky. 

2/ canvass a new estate. Although around here competition is fierce so the prices aren’t great.

3/ Buy it. 
 Prime work probably is worth 6-10 times as it’s the only easty way to get stuff like this. 
problem is most window cleaners hang on to stuff like this. 

The buying and selling of work is going on all the time between mates and acquaintances etc usually for cash. 
It’s a perfectly valid way to get work, just make sure you do your research properly. 

To be honest I'm shocked at how littler window cleaners value their rounds and undervalue what has taken years to build.

When you consider that people out there are paying 10 -15k to buy in to a franchise of domestic window cleaning. For work they never own and still pay 20% ongoing for the privilege of cleaning it then 3 -4x is an absolute steal in my opinion.

Any one wanting to sell a round of 4k a month minimum for 3x in Hertfordshire please contact me.

The problem is , it depends on the work. If it’s a couple of days scattered all over the place then you might as well canvas it. So it’s probably only worth x3. 
 If you want prime compact work, say 2 days in the same road of well priced houses, the only way to get it is

1/ Get lucky. 

2/ canvass a new estate. Although around here competition is fierce so the prices aren’t great.

3/ Buy it. 
 Prime work probably is worth 6-10 times as it’s the only easty way to get stuff like this. 
problem is most window cleaners hang on to stuff like this. 

The buying and selling of work is going on all the time between mates and acquaintances etc usually for cash. 
It’s a perfectly valid way to get work, just make sure you do your research properly. 
Sounds like most of my work is with a fortune we only move the vans half a mile in a week on some estates ???? Ime open to offers ?????

Latest Posts

Back