Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

How to load / secure my 25l water barrels & backpack setup? Does anybody else have a system like this?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

FD760

Hey,

So I've just picked up a Big Buddy Backpack & 22' Pole.
I've got 10 x 25L Jerry Cans to store my water.

Can anyone suggest the best method to secure this setup in a van? Does anybody else have a backpack system?

Just looking for ideas on how I can safely secure my jerry cans with water.

I would strap the backpack to a trolley and use some ratchet staps to hold the trolley/backpack in place and also ratchet strap through the handles the 25l containers so they dont fall over while traveling or if you were to have a crash stop them going airborne.

Pure Freedom sell a bolt down 25l container holder. Think it holds about six 25l containers.

I used 25l drums for years and I used to bungee cord all the handles together. They used to stay together. Not sure how it would fare in an accident mind.

I used 25l drums for years and I used to bungee cord all the handles together. They used to stay together. Not sure how it would fare in an accident mind.
Hi Sean, would you just use one small bungee per 2 25l drums? or would you use a longer bungee and tie all of them together?

Don't suppose you have a photo of your setup or layout of this? Just looking for a few ideas :)

Do you place your drums directly behind the bulkhead also or have them at the backdoor/side door?

Hi Sean, would you just use one small bungee per 2 25l drums? or would you use a longer bungee and tie all of them together?

Don't suppose you have a photo of your setup or layout of this? Just looking for a few ideas :)

Do you place your drums directly behind the bulkhead also or have them at the backdoor/side door?
Please, for your own safety, do not use bungie straps. A 25 lts barrel weights over 25kg and in an accident that could weigh 4 times that! If you come to a sudden stop due to an accident then any barrels not secured down will just be like 100kg missiles heading towards the back of your seat!!!!! They would go straight through a bulkhead and potentially crush you against the steering wheel!!!!
Please secure the barrels safely. Use ratchet straps rated at over 2,000kg not the thin orange ones rated at about 100kg!!! The tie downs in the back of the van aren't rated very highly in terms of kg they are better than nothing. Ideally replace the tie downs with thicket rated eye bolts and add spreader plates under the floor to stop them being ripped out of the floor.

Bottom line is it's your life you are risking not having the barrels secured safely!

I use barrels and rachet them down to the tie downs on the floor of the van, with them pushed up against the bulkhead the problem with barrels is they can move independently so not easy to secure them properly
also with having ply lined floor they can slide around easily, I think a rubber matting floor would help a lot

I only drive around 2 miles for most of my work, If I was making longer journeys on fast roads I'd invest in one of those barrel holders posted above

ps I'd also listen to Ched as you know when he uses over four exclamation marks you know he is being deadly serious

This is what I did when I started out. Barrels pushed hard against the bulkhead so they couldn't move. The main boards are about 6" high and the wooden frame is attached to the van loading eyes with carriage bolts.

IMG_20150714_184100539_HDR.jpg

Latest Posts

Back