Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

How to stop this

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I’m currently spending 30-40 seconds at least 10 times a day untangling my pole hose.

It does my head in and longs out my day.

How do I stop it? Are there any tips/tricks I’m missing?

Is it just a case of getting a different hose?

Im currently just using the ‘8mm all season hose’ that came with my gardiner brush as I thought these were meant to be good?

thanks for any help

(the hose and pole are relatively new btw)

View attachment 18925

View attachment 18926
ive never twisted my pole hose like that in 10 years of WFP....i use PU pole hose and hot water...this will solve most of these types of problems..i do occasionally get mine twisted but it takes seconds to unravel it.....also when im driving to my next job i disconnect my pole hose from my reel(because ive got a diesel heater i plug the reel hose back into the return valves to keep the heater running).....this helps a lot to prevent it...

ive never twisted my pole hose like that in 10 years of WFP....i use PU pole hose and hot water...this will solve most of these types of problems..i do occasionally get mine twisted but it takes seconds to unravel it.....also when im driving to my next job i disconnect my pole hose from my reel(because ive got a diesel heater i plug the reel hose back into the return valves to keep the heater running).....this helps a lot to prevent it...

I just put the pole in the back of van and keep the pump and heater on. Would I be better to disconnect and reconnect into the return valve?

I just put the pole in the back of van and keep the pump and heater on. Would I be better to disconnect and reconnect into the return valve?
my heater would shut down if i didnt connect it to my return valve as i only have one pump not 2.....its a 9kw one man system...if you have a second pump diverting water back to the tank then you dont have to do this.

Yes 

my heater would shut down if i didnt connect it to my return valve as i only have one pump not 2.....its a 9kw one man system...if you have a second pump diverting water back to the tank then you dont have to do this.
But if you don’t there is no circulation in that reel and it looses heat , if you plug it into tank return as soon as you get to the next job the water is piping hot straight away 

Every kink is put into the hose by us, the user. A kink is simply the later stage of a twist or several twists. These are usually caused by us habitually turning the same way, clockwise or anticlockwise at the van, trolley or house. I always look back along the hose during the last few paces back to the van. Depending on which way it's twisted. I count the twists and twist the pole the same number of times in the opposite way. Sounds complicated. It's not, I do it semi-automatically every time I stow the pole. Takes very few seconds and eliminates all twists before they become kinks.

Hoseless : speak to Sam at Ex-ceed Innovations. He will put you right and send you a drawing on how it goes together. I'd combine it with a Univalve (Sam again). I would use enough pole hose outside the pole to go the full length of the extended pole plus at least about twenty feet to the reel hose. I joined the two hoses at the reel hose with a straight double ended brass barb, with Gorilla Glue on the barbs and two compression rings on each side (so four in total), this is very secure and fits easily under most gates so that I can close them on the way back to the van. . Or you could use Slick-Connect, again speak to Sam. ?

Why so much pole hose??? You only need enough to extend your pole fully plus a little bit more. Not excess amount. Have the connection between your reel hose and pole hose close to you as possible. Easier to pull round corners and unsnap. 

Thanks for everyone’s help.

I think I’m definitely going to go tubeless with the exceed innovation kit. For £45 it’s worth a try. (I can’t believe I’d never heard of it before). I bet there are so many other little tricks/bits and pieces that people do that I don’t know about lol.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Vn3fP1DpF9U

65401787-A498-429E-884B-688C083C3E0C.jpeg

9D386882-89A5-4BE2-A02E-2ED5A6D6E083.jpeg

Thanks for everyone’s help.

I think I’m definitely going to go tubeless with the exceed innovation kit. For £45 it’s worth a try. (I can’t believe I’d never heard of it before). I bet there are so many other little tricks/bits and pieces that people do that I don’t know about lol.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Vn3fP1DpF9U

View attachment 18944

View attachment 18945

If this is guaranteed to not disconnect when extending the pole, I may have to buy the kit.

Please let us know how you get on with it.

you don’t need to buy 6 kits, you only need to buy the bungs that go in the bottom of the poles. But I don’t even use them. If you have gardiner poles you can use a 22m John guest stem fitting and a washer instead. 

Gardiner Hoseless DIY
Just had a look at that diy set up. Very clever.

I might give that a try before I buy the exceed kit as it’ll be cheaper

Why so much pole hose??? You only need enough to extend your pole fully plus a little bit more. Not excess amount. Have the connection between your reel hose and pole hose close to you as possible. Easier to pull round corners and unsnap. 
Good question Stevie.

We use  SLX 22 for the vast majority of our work (two operators, one van) but on a very few occasions we have to use SLX 30. We like to make sure that there definitely is enough leeway with the pole hose length. Also in the very unlikely event that I get a longer pole than the SLX 30 there's enough pole hose already fitted to accommodate it, plus it's lighter than the reel hose for when the pole is extended.

If this is guaranteed to not disconnect when extending the pole, I may have to buy the kit.

Please let us know how you get on with it.
I have found that occasionally when using the pole in fully closed position I have accidentally grabbed the tubeless sleeve when a little of it protruded from the bottom end, resulting in it disconnecting. A very easy fix: When I close down the pole, I now leave it about an inch longer than fully closed. This means the sleeve stays fully within the pole and there's no way I can accidentally grab it and unclip. ?

I have found that occasionally when using the pole in fully closed position I have accidentally grabbed the tubeless sleeve when a little of it protruded from the bottom end, resulting in it disconnecting. A very easy fix: When I close down the pole, I now leave it about an inch longer than fully closed. This means the sleeve stays fully within the pole and there's no way I can accidentally grab it and unclip. ?
That’s a good idea, I’ll go with that one, thank you ??

Silly question but I take it the connector that sits inside the pole is locked in position, making it easy to connect and disconnect? 

That’s a good idea, I’ll go with that one, thank you ??

Silly question but I take it the connector that sits inside the pole is locked in position, making it easy to connect and disconnect? 
Not a silly question. It is held in place and you'll soon get used to it.?

Thanks, will have a look.
Rich, you don't need to go through all the faff, chop pole hose at base of pole with 6" or so sticking out the bottom place a male rectus fitting on the end, then a female on the end of longest piece of pole hose left, I have about 12" or so sticking out the bottom of mine as I add 2 extensions to my pole as and when needed.

Rich, you don't need to go through all the faff, chop pole hose at base of pole with 6" or so sticking out the bottom place a male rectus fitting on the end, then a female on the end of longest piece of pole hose left, I have about 12" or so sticking out the bottom of mine as I add 2 extensions to my pole as and when needed.
Tried it and it disconnects, when putting the pole up, to often for me.

Latest Posts

Back