Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

How trustworthy are YouTube creators?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I Always found a certain YouTuber  very obnoxious and somewhat unnecessarily rigid in his approach and views to customers. 
Profiling customers for example may sound good in theory but your playing a dangerous game by judging people on the size or condition of their property. Some of my longest and most reliable customers may not live in luxurious properties but they still like their windows cleaned and never have an issue paying. 
He also done a video about customers not being your friends which may be true but being friendly and courteous to the customers you have usually results in them recommending you to friends and family. 
window cleaning may be a more sophisticated business now with new modern tech but I still think there’s room for the personal touch and I’m my experience this approach has served me well. 

i have only once profiled a customer, a lady ** rang up one day wanting her windows cleaning, off course i wanted to clean that big house i thought, turned out it was a dowager cottage which, is not an issue and i still clean it and i must admit its one of the nicest places i clean, its a very peacfeull cottage and has a lot of charm, her son however when they had the big house in between a bit of snorting and parents being away on business or holidays went into the film making business, he produced " to the manor p  orn"

just watched it and there is no story line, downton manor has a far better storyline so i am only guessing its down to lack of funds or lack of expertise? and poor camera skills, if only the bbc had made it- or david attenborough had narrated it would have been so much better.

i have only once profiled a customer, a lady ** rang up one day wanting her windows cleaning, off course i wanted to clean that big house i thought, turned out it was a dowager cottage which, is not an issue and i still clean it and i must admit its one of the nicest places i clean, its a very peacfeull cottage and has a lot of charm, her son however when they had the big house in between a bit of snorting and parents being away on business or holidays went into the film making business, he produced " to the manor p  orn"

just watched it and there is no story line, downton manor has a far better storyline so i am only guessing its down to lack of funds or lack of expertise? and poor camera skills, if only the bbc had made it- or david attenborough had narrated it would have been so much better.
just a note though, on reflection, maybe david attenborough may not have hit the high notes with his deep voice

He has gone remarkably quite , at the start of lock down I think he was supposed to have been in the Philippines  or somewhere like that but doesn’t seam to have re appeared ?? Anyone know what’s happened to him ?? 
He started getting squeezed by multiple people he scammed I know that much. I did some canvassing for a bloke that he took 3k from, all he did was send him 2 hours for a day or two work experience with some random company that wasn’t his, and spoke to him on the phone about go cardless for an hour. 
Poor bloke didn’t even want to tell me until the end of the 5 days I did for him to get his starter customers. I did sone digging and found multiple people who paid for lead generation that never received their leads. Shortly after he disappeared. 

"Sorry window cleaner, I can't pay the bill. How can we sort this?"

I enjoyed some of his videos. Didn’t agree with all of them, but I specifically remember one day about 3 or 4 years ago, I had a quieter week, and was meant to go out canvassing & leafleting, but I couldn’t be bothered ? I remember watching one of his ‘go get them’ videos and it motivated me to go out. So for that- Thank you. 

I don’t know him at all personally, but I hope he’s doing ok. I remember him mentioning he’d been battling mental health and that’s not a nice place to be. 
I agree with you, it's not a nice place to be. I wouldn't wish it on him or anyone . . . .  but I don't believe a word of it either - and I do know him personally. I think it much more likely to be a ploy / tactic for sympathy or possibly a defence to fall back on should he end up in court for any of the people he's ripped off.

I don't enjoy saying that but there are still forum members who seem to look up to him and regard him as some sort of business guru. And they're people who have never had any dealings with him. Then you've got the people who do know him and no one's got a good word to say. I wonder why? He's a real narcissist and only out for himself and what he can get out of others.

I don't want to get drawn into a character assasination when he's not around to defend himself, but the reason he's not around is because he's burnt all his bridges

Everyone seems to be battling mental health these days. Are we missing something that’s always been there or is this a new issue due to modern lifestyles? Either way Darren’s had it coming and I’m sure plenty are missing exchanging pleasantries with the guy?

Everyone seems to be battling mental health these days. Are we missing something that’s always been there or is this a new issue due to modern lifestyles? Either way Darren’s had it coming and I’m sure plenty are missing exchanging pleasantries with the guy?
I think it's always been there to a degree but there is greater willingness now to accept that these problems can be very real and damaging. But it's also yet another bandwagon for some people to jump on.

Couple of years ago I had a brain aneurysm and during my recovery saw a psychologist to check my cognitive skills. Anyway, she said that 'stress' and 'depression' are in her opinion the 2 most overly used, and inappropriately used words in the modern world e.g. being unhappy about something doesn't mean  you're suffering with depression or stress.

And she's got a point. Since telling me that I do notice how often they're used, almost as a throwaway phrase...but if university students and the woke brigade now need to be warned with an advisory before reading Shakespeare or 1984 an entire generation will soon be off work with stress. Goodness knows how they'll deal with actual stressful situations.

I think it's always been there to a degree but there is greater willingness now to accept that these problems can be very real and damaging. But it's also yet another bandwagon for some people to jump on.

Couple of years ago I had a brain aneurysm and during my recovery saw a psychologist to check my cognitive skills. Anyway, she said that 'stress' and 'depression' are in her opinion the 2 most overly used, and inappropriately used words in the modern world e.g. being unhappy about something doesn't mean  you're suffering with depression or stress.

And she's got a point. Since telling me that I do notice how often they're used, almost as a throwaway phrase...but if university students and the woke brigade now need to be warned with an advisory before reading Shakespeare or 1984 an entire generation will soon be off work with stress. Goodness knows how they'll deal with actual stressful situations.
I dread to imagine how most of the young males I see skulking around like rats with hoods covering their heads would stand up to a call to defend their country. I can't equate them with images of bayonet charges in the first world war or storming the beaches of Normandy like so many of our poor forebears. Not forgetting our poor folks who went to Afghanistan and other theatres in more recent times. All should be treasured, valued and looked after.

Last edited by a moderator:
I dread to imagine how most of the young males I see skulking around like rats with hoods covering their heads would stand up to a call to defend their country. I can't equate them with images of bayonet charges in the first world war or storming the beaches of Normandy like so many of our poor forebears.
They'd just stand still crying with one hand down their pants while making a tik tok 

I cant see how you can trust anybody who makes a video from stuff that they have been given free but especially when they get paid , i have personaly made over 400 video over the last 10 years i never got paid for any of them but to be honest who would they are pretty bad just made on mobile downloaded straight to you tube but always tried to be honest 

I cant see how you can trust anybody who makes a video from stuff that they have been given free but especially when they get paid , i have personaly made over 400 video over the last 10 years i never got paid for any of them but to be honest who would they are pretty bad just made on mobile downloaded straight to you tube but always tried to be honest 
All hands on DIY honest self built kit and modifications Mark ? 

those are usually the most honest 

Hi @Tuffers, I recently watched a YouTube video that I think you would find very interesting. 'Hobo' 1992. It's very poignant. It's about a renowned railroad hobo (sadly no longer with us) who went by the name of 'Beargrease'. A railroad wanderer and philosopher having travelled much of the world in the merchant navy and military. He was well respected and very astute and aware of the changes coming down the line, so to speak.

In fact I'd recommend it to anyone who is interested in the story of authentic free spirited individuals. An hour and a half programme that I first saw thirty years ago and never forgot.
Good shout Dave. As someone who goes out tracking freight trains can I chip in and also recommend 'Big Dave's big fat freight hop' on youtube.  Another great series. From the UK, he went out and succesfully hopped from east to west across Canada. He was so successful they banned him from entering the country again which kinda ruined the sequel @Tuffers

Good shout Dave. As someone who goes out tracking freight trains can I chip in and also recommend 'Big Dave's big fat freight hop' on youtube.  Another great series. From the UK, he went out and succesfully hopped from east to west across Canada. He was so successful they banned him from entering the country again which kinda ruined the sequel @Tuffers
Glad you enjoyed it @Bart90 . Thanks for your recommendation I'll take a look for sure.

Real people, eh? Can't beat authentic folk doing their own thing. ??

Ignore my post above. I couldn't delete it. 

One of my customers has just started to set up an 'O' gauge model railway. It's in a big garden room at the top of his garden. Bless him his wife has just died. He bought a new Jaguar and spent thousands on this model railway. He showed me it today. The engines are massive and weigh a couple of kilos each. He must have about 25 engines costing £500 each!

One of my customers has just started to set up an 'O' gauge model railway. It's in a big garden room at the top of his garden. Bless him his wife has just died. He bought a new Jaguar and spent thousands on this model railway. He showed me it today. The engines are massive and weigh a couple of kilos each. He must have about 25 engines costing £500 each!
My dad had the small gauge trains and the whole loft of the house was a giant train set with several lines and all the background stuff like handpainted buildings and trees etc.

Cost a fortune.

Sounds ace. Is it a ride on?  I love the customers that give you tours of their projects/hobbies.  One customer of mine, showed me his tropical bird collection (the feathered variety, before the jokes start). Another, let me drive his toyota GT86, whilst encouraging me to let the back end spin out on roundabouts while he looked out for the old bill (no word of a lie).  Another, has taken me for a ride in his old 1920's Austin (i think it was an Austin).  Lovely thing about this job is the varied and interesting people you come across and their interests! 

Edit: As it's in his garden room, maybe not........!

Last edited by a moderator:

If you want a laugh and to watch a travel series which will show you how to do it for cheap watch vagrant holiday 

Latest Posts

Back