Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

I just started window cleaning (WFP)

WCF

Help Support WCF:

No I never go past half 4 as that's roughly sunset and gives maybe hour or so for the water to wick away but I don't think it's long enough time especially in winter 

But at the same time it's the only time I have free at the min one morning a week off and rest are starts at 7am in my full time job

My reply was about you saying you need insurance for internal cleaning and it will cost more. It doesn't if it is only going to be a small amount of your total business.
Ahh,i see part timer thank you.

The way you worded it,starting with "My Insurance..",appeared Yours??.

Ahh,i see part timer thank you.

The way you worded it,starting with "My Insurance..",appeared Yours??.
Having said that part timer..Internal Cleaning Only contributing a small percentage to your business...Isnt worth it..no brainer really!?.

Used my hot water today for first time doing a first clean. Fantastic, just dipped my brush in a buket of degreaser and away I went. After scrubbing all the front I changed my brush and finished them off then rinsed. I now have a dedicated degreaser brush which I use for pvc cleans and first cleans. Well worth an extra few bob to convert to hot water especially this time of year. ?

So all my fellow newbies how did u get christmas over you

Also quick question for those more experienced wanting to buy some upgrades what size ro system should I get as I know I can use di for now but looking at future planning 

It's been pretty busy! That's why I never get time to reply lol.

I'm preparing for Spring as I will start adding some addons like roof moss removal, and buying a gutter vac.. 

I'm nearly a 100 regular customers on my list which is what I had in mind for my first year so that's amazing results.

On the other hand, also having to deal with some dishonest people that call you for regular window cleaning and after the first clean they disappear. Or some people call you and even if you message the day before that you are coming on that day they cancel on the door. Freaking time wasters. But it can't be helped I guess...

I'm getting busy too not as busy as. I would like to be but slow and steady and yea with time wasters as in setting up regular cleans and then when showing up for that second clean they change their mind last minute 

Hoping to get another 10/20 customers by end of march then again by May so totalling if all goes well to 120 averaging £12.50 a go

Had a fun convo with my brother the other week

He was picking my brain about the "fun" of setting up a business and trying to balance full time work with it my only real advice was not do it at the start of autum maybe in new year/early spring he asked for me to show him what I use and how to use it

I sent him the list of what I got or as close to it anyway and offered to take him out for a half day to show him what to do and stuff

Was all up for it and the morning of "oh what's the pay like" 

Bloddy chancer to pay him I would be loosing money also considering I already offered to go and set up all his gear and put together his diy wfp trolley for not a bean would of cost me a day's work too 

It's been pretty busy! That's why I never get time to reply lol.

I'm preparing for Spring as I will start adding some addons like roof moss removal, and buying a gutter vac.. 

I'm nearly a 100 regular customers on my list which is what I had in mind for my first year so that's amazing results.

On the other hand, also having to deal with some dishonest people that call you for regular window cleaning and after the first clean they disappear. Or some people call you and even if you message the day before that you are coming on that day they cancel on the door. Freaking time wasters. But it can't be helped I guess...
Cannot be helped but as time goes on you get less of these customers due to the good old Windie senses. 

I missed out on one new customer because his wife met someone on a bus. Anyhow the guy is only charging £6 but I told the customer I would have been a tenner a month. Did his gutters this week and he told me he is not happy with the new guy's work. I said what do you expect for £6,

As I thought, the new guy gave up and I picked up the customer and another one so I have all at that spot. Drove down the hill a bit to do only one customer and another 3 came out because the guy has dropped that area. I will probably get all the rest because I'm the only guy cleaning that area. That's why it really pays to work Saturday's because everyone is usually in.

Hello all! This is my first post on this forum, I am a new window cleaner in the Camberley/Surrey area. I just freshly started after a year of debating when to start, I had to resign from my full time employer because they owed me 2 months salary, I took action against them and I am waiting for the Employers Tribunal to schedule a hearing.

I am using a Water Fed Pole and a backpack which I carry at the back of my car(Citroen Grand Picasso). So far it's working well, but I can already see the issues of having to refill all the time when more customers join in, so I will be getting a water tank in the future.  

I have been getting weekly jobs, mostly from Facebook groups, and a few from canvassing. I have also made a website (which needs a lot of work and SEO) you can have a look here: https://www.camberleywindowcleaning.com/

I canvass on evenings after 5:30 PM and Saturdays after 11AM. About 2-3 hours each time. I am having a hard time getting daily jobs which is the goal, as I want to work 5 days a week ideally.  So any advice on this or on anything will be much appreciated. I am new to this, it's my first time being self employed and there's a lot of new things that I need to learn. 

I will be posting updates on how everything is going, I firmly believe than in a year from now I will be in a much better position than right now.

Thanks very much in advance for all your help and advice.

Matt
Hi Matt. Guess your 6 months into the thick of it by now. How are you getting on? 

Sorry took me two months to reply, I was mostly advertising on free facebook groups, walking around my town canvassing where I see dirty windows, some people call me from my website or Yell. Although with Covid 19 the rules have changed and I am not advertising anymore. If someone calls me and I can social distance with the job I will. So avoiding inside windows, terraced houses etc. It's been a huge blow as it's my first year and I was getting ready for spring summer season, had a lot of new equipment, flyers etc....

So far I've lost earnings on a 20-30% from customers that have decided not to have their windows cleaned until lockdown is over, which I respect. The rest are ok with paying online and keeping distance from me while I clean. I really hope, that once all of this is over, there will be windows to clean, gutters etc. 

If this carries on until next summer probably will have to let go of it..unfortunately ☹️

Yea this carona really hit the plans that I think we both had but the bigger picture is people are loosing much worse. 

I had used up all my earnings that were not already spent on upgrades at the beginning of this lockdown hopeing it was over quite quickly and then I have lots of new toys to play with 

But I still think when this is over people will still need windows cleaned and it may help out with growing a bit this pandemic has pushed a couple of the old guard have decided to retire so more potential when I do decide to go back out I'm thinking of going back next week 

Been off since lockdown was announced 

Has everyone stopped advertising 

Hope you all stay safe

Well since I started my business really picked up since last June.  Then when the virus hit I just went off and told all my customers Id be back after lock down and they were fine with that.  I have recently found out that a large domestic cleaning business has dropped leaflets everywhere saying 'Is you window cleaning taking it easy during the lock down and your windows are getting dirtier?  Call us!  We will come out'  Oh well, you win some you lose some.  One customer told me they had their windows done as a one off but will stick on my round.  I don't care either way I am having a long holiday...good luck all!

Latest Posts

Back