Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

I just started window cleaning (WFP)

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I use the gardiner back pack on a clarke strong arm folding trolley. Back pack is around 8kg empty i think, + 23L of water (at around 1kg per L) so that's around 31Kg. Okay.. the trolley weighs around 7 too so around 38 i think all in at a push..

Gardiner say the BP should be limited to 20m of hose. Besides, how on earth would I do the rear door with the hose going through it? - couldn't close it properly! Must confess though I did wonder about doing it this way after reading a few other users saying they use longer lengths of hose than recommended but all the time i still had a warranty on the pump i wasn't going to be doing that.

I still need to hack a remote control into it. Apparently the pure freedom trolley already has one, can't see why Alex hasn't done this too but i'll hack my own in at some point when i can afford some 3.3v regulator chips for the RF transceivers lol.

Admittedly though i can't really be bothered with terraced houses and do try to avoid them but i will do them if requested but i won't knock on their doors.

you just shut the hose in the corner of the door , and don’t dead lock it don’t usually have a problem, but I agree it’s not ideal . But will do the job 

I'm sure this has been covered but I keep getting confused 

Was just updating the books and putting down expenses asd income and stuff and obviously if I buy new gear like poles/van/trolley/trad gear it's a business expense 

My confusion is travel expenses I read online the standard is 45p a mile and I only put that to the destination not back is that right

Eg if house is 20 miles away is that a 40 mile trip or 20 keep in mind thst I some days only have the o e house to do as I'm still full time in my other job and honestly can't fit more in because of shift pattern and returning to pick up gear and travelling to them

Thanks in advance guys

Full journey, legally you're supposed to keep a list of where you have actually driven to. This is a full itinerary, so 1st house mileage, second house etc. Before everyone says they don't do this and haven't been asked to by their Accountant, if you get inspected by the tax man and he deems your claim to be high he will ask you where you have been. Not remembering isn't an excuse. 

OK great full journey 

Remembering shouldn't be a  problem using the squeegee app so it has the details saved in there 

And I'm aware that I would charge for Eg 10 for the first house then the distance between it and the next house which is handy the squeegee app gives me the distance between there too I know some people on here have had problems or issues with it but maybe I'm just not big enough to be experiencing those issues yet

Took your advice part timer too bought some trad gear to do some internal cleans and then also thought it may also be a bonus over the winter incase of a bad winter and don't want to be leaving puddles on the ground to freeze for people to fall on so maybe trad them and sprinkle a little salt underneath the windows for the drips 

But wajt to use to stop the water freezing on the glass (hopefully it doesn't happen but failing to prepare and all that) someone advised buying the windscreen solution and using it I know halfords sell one that has a up to -10 as bought it a couple years back fory car didn't much like the scent put on it though 

Me to man business is slowly picking up and I figure if I'm able to pick up work this time of year then spring should be booming lol

Up to 50 regular cleans a month with approx 10/15 random one offs or I'll give you a call when I need you

Funny thing is approx 4/5 of the one off have called me back multiple times lol

Still working full time in my other place and finding it a stretch to get both done but if I can double my work by end of spring I will swap around and do wi dows full time and part time where I am now 

I picked up two new customers today. One said she had phoned 3 window cleaners and they said they don't do her area. She found me on Google, I was working round the corner from her and I told her £15 a month and she was very happy but she is a principle teacher. Next one will be a tenner a month and I'll probably get it because not much competition as it seems to be a dying trade in Paisley at the moment. I missed out on one new customer because his wife met someone on a bus. Anyhow the guy is only charging £6 but I told the customer I would have been a tenner a month. Did his gutters this week and he told me he is not happy with the new guy's work. I said what do you expect for £6, I charge more but take my time, I told him. I guess I will add him to my books soon because I do the rest of the block. Once you start picking up new customers it seems to gain motion all by itself. That's what I'm experiencing. fwiw

And I started a refferal promotion also so that's helping too a little but not as much as I was hoping but maybe I just promote that again and again and maybe it will pay off

Going to offer internals now also in the run up to Xmas as people will have family over and will want to have everything spick and span just need to get more trad gear will get during the week and start offering it from December 

And I started a refferal promotion also so that's helping too a little but not as much as I was hoping but maybe I just promote that again and again and maybe it will pay off

Going to offer internals now also in the run up to Xmas as people will have family over and will want to have everything spick and span just need to get more trad gear will get during the week and start offering it from December 
I have one of these for internals, doesn't use much water.

https://windowcleaningwarehouse.co.uk/products/moerman-combinator?variant=19114558292037&currency=GBP&utm_campaign=gs-2019-09-19&utm_source=google&utm_medium=smart_campaign&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIh678yv_x5QIVQrDtCh2lmgzbEAQYESABEgKUgfD_BwE

Me to man business is slowly picking up and I figure if I'm able to pick up work this time of year then spring should be booming lol

Up to 50 regular cleans a month with approx 10/15 random one offs or I'll give you a call when I need you

Still working full time in my other place and finding it a stretch to get both done but if I can double my work by end of spring I will swap around and do wi dows full time and part time where I am now 
Hopefully Spring will be booming??....

Im getting more enquiries,its Hopefilly gonna start to snowball in the NYear ?...then i can organise clients appropriately.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just going to go to local hardware store apparently they have basic unger tools will pick some of them up hope they have different size channels as some windows like to be awkward and be too small for a 14" blade lol

Yea and hopefully it snowballs over the winter (pardon the pun) 

U guys put much thought into water freezing and putting stuff down kinda just thinking of getting salts to put where the water ends up 

It is hard to maintain a full time job while building a round...usually something has to give...but hope you succeed.

Have two internals booked in for week before Xmas so far,usually shy away from them other than the odd window over a sink for a pensioner or two...but extra money for holiday period when not working, and they are regular customers.

I just going to go to local hardware store apparently they have basic unger tools will pick some of them up hope they have different size channels as some windows like to be awkward and be too small for a 14" blade lol

Yea and hopefully it snowballs over the winter (pardon the pun) 

U guys put much thought into water freezing and putting stuff down kinda just thinking of getting salts to put where the water ends up 
Firstly - i rarely use Unger,therefore dont really rate them.

Secondly - I've primarily dealt with water freezing.If need be,ill deal with it at the time.Itll be a rare thing.

Not my first, but so far think my wettest, normal winter weather is not too bad, even the colder days after the first house of the day is done.
Definately...Wetter Mike007.I think most Clients are under the impression,rain will clean the windows.Id still clean windows in the rain - as long as ive got waterproofs on...Heavy rain,youd be mad to be out there.

I've primarily dealt with water freezing.If need be,ill deal with it at the time.Itll be a rare thing.
It's. Just because most days I finish at 3 and try to get a few in before I head home not easy when it's dark around 5 and since it's getting colder was worried about water freezing on the pathway and someone slipping 

It's. Just because most days I finish at 3 and try to get a few in before I head home not easy when it's dark around 5 and since it's getting colder was worried about water freezing on the pathway and someone slipping 
Martin,in the nicest possible way,i fear for you mate.

- Finish properly at 3 then - no one would normally continue in the dark.We all know there'll be excess water,especially on paths!...Its an Accident waiting to happen?...Someone mentioned doing Internal cleans earlier...Im covered Public Liability Insurance - Outside Only.

Inside is hassle - Dirty boots/shoes on carpets,ornaments,plants etc in the way...Itd have to be worth the pay rate from Client tobe worth Your Time wise.Unless your a small to medium company & can afford Internal as well as External Insurance.Id stay with External cleans.

Back