Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

I just started window cleaning (WFP)

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I've refused to quote jobs when they say they already got a windy and as I'm walking away they'll ask "how much?" - my answer is "sorry you've got a window cleaner and i'm not going to take their work!"

Yes I could do with the work but I don't want to have someones financial collapse on my hands. That extra £10-15 might be their kids pair of school shoes etc.
I am going to quote 5 properties tomorrow in a small street of 8, they are not happy with their current cleaner as he does a poor job, these are nice detached houses and bungalows, I am looking after myself and my family no one else's 

I agree and disagree maybe because I'm only starting out I don't want to make any enemies but I'm sure it will happen over time once thery get to know me lol

But the facts are that it's up to me to pay the bills not the guy down the road

Well! thank you all for your comments, It's interesting to see everyone's different point of view.

Just a quick update on something that happened to me, a lady asked me to clean her conservatory, the conservatory had a cheap looking plastic roof( I don't know how to describe it), not the normal pvc or glass panels. I also had another lady with a tiled conservatory roof. It took me ages to clean this, it looked a lot better when I finished but I wasn't 100% happy with the finish (She was very happy with the job) It hadn't been cleaned in 10 years. There was a garden of moss growing on the roof. It took me about 3-4 hours. Do you guys charge more in general for these kinds of conservatory roofs? 

On the other hand.. I had a conservatory that was too tall for my step ladder and I had to turn down the job...ouch. I need to install some roof bars and get a proper ladder.

I try to avoid conservatory roofs.. by that i mean i don't actively pursue them but if someone asks i won't refuse it as long as they're happy with my price. The damn things take forever and find them mentally draining even if they do pay reasonably well. My preference is windows and doors only. Anything else is slightly out of my happy zone.

We pretty well know which windie does what in our area. If a walk up asks for a price to see if they can get a cheaper deal I will always refuse to quote. If they want me to quote then they have to get rid of their current window cleaner first. I also tell them that 'so & so' is a lot younger than I am and I'm not going into a price war as he has the energy to win every time.'

A had a lady ask me if I would clean both hers and her neighbours flat. I asked if she had a window cleaner and she said no. So I quoted and then received a telephone call from another windie asking if it was me who pinched his work as his customer had cancelled.

I apologised and went around to this customer and explained that I quoted based on a lie and that I wouldn't be cleaning either of their windows. So she phoned the other windie up and asked he continue. He refused and dumped both of them. ?

?? omg, this is what happens to slags I suppose. 1 widow cleaner should be enough for anyone, not enough for her lol ?

ks789 said:
?? omg, this is what happens to slags I suppose. 1 widow cleaner should be enough for anyone, not enough for her lol ?
Erm, window cleaner, not widow cleaner, sorry.

I've refused to quote jobs when they say they already got a windy and as I'm walking away they'll ask "how much?" - my answer is "sorry you've got a window cleaner and i'm not going to take their work!"

Yes I could do with the work but I don't want to have someones financial collapse on my hands. That extra £10-15 might be their kids pair of school shoes etc.
i think your being silly....i wouldnt bat an eyelid if i were you.......if you need the work,you need the work......any person who asks you to clean their windows and they already have a windy are obviously not happy with their current cleaner.....go ahead and quote and take the job on

youll find out over time that other window cleaners will take the odd job off you from time to time for whatever reason...it works both ways....

ive picked up 4 jobs in the last couple of months from 2 window cleaners who work the same area as me and i know them well.....the customers were just not happy with their service and quality of clean,one even moaned to me about one of them being  miserable too!?

i took all 4 jobs on no problem without a second thought......?

Hi all!

Just sharing some updates as I said I would, It's been quite busy since I started but so far it's been great. I have 25 regular customers, which is just 75 away from my target of 100 customers in a year. I have been using a backpack but as I am getting busier I realise that is more practical to get a tank and do it properly. I'm also thinking of getting a better ladder, I almost had an accident cleaning a conservatory roof, as the ladder that I have (second hand) slipped out on the water, luckily it didn't slip completely. I have read that this one is meant to be good so will give it a try https://www.screwfix.com/p/mac-allister-4-section-aluminium-multipurpose-ladder-4-25m/2962x 

For canvassing I have been using VistaPrint and BananaPrint for my business cards and flyers, so far VistaPrint seems to have better quality, but slightly more expensive. Does anyone have a trusty supplier with a good price? Also thinking of getting some stickers on my car for marketing. 

Thanks all!

Well done on your progress so far.  I only started in June and now have just over 65 customers.  I think I have dropped about 14, mostly none payers.  So take the rough with the smooth.  I got disheartened when I got my first few messers but after a while things come right.  Just expect to get through a lot of time wasters.  

For canvassing I just use vista print.  I knock the door, if they are not in I put a leaflet through the door.  I am still getting business from people phoning up 2 months after I dropped leaflets.  I am starting to manage my customers expectations, its a juggling act but I enjoy it.  

Regarding the earlier comments about taking other window cleaners work.  In 2 months I have had a couple of walk ups asking for price comparisons.  I owe nobody any favours I will always quote.  I know one guy tried to undercut me.  If the customer wants to pay less then who needs them eh?  Lets face it, with constant canvassing you can replace them.  I see my round like a bucket with a hole in it where customers drip out the bottom of my round and I gotta keep topping up the bucket.  Its all about the bucket....keep it full!!! 

Well done Camberley I am roughly the same have 23 regular custys and have been using a DIY trolley system and as u said about the backpack yes it needs upgrading but jist doesn't seen sensible as don't have the income to justify the spend on it

I may have reffered to before but I don't remember but in regards to the taking of other window cleaners customers I agree and disagree with this 

I personally will not go out to steal someone else's customers by undercutting them purposely but if I give a quote and they r happy with it then I go with it

Although when I canvass I usually say something along the lines of hi I'm MCWC I'm a window cleaner in the area do u have a window cleaner...... 

Would u like to have a regular window cleaner 

Even was speaking with other local window cleaners one morning and wanted to let them know that I had started and wasn't out to take their customers but if asked for a quote would give one they were fine with it

Although this week has been hard things started to go wrong, parts breaking, first customer loss, really busy at other job just as enquires started picking up got the cold

When I came home yesterday with a broken gooseneck and jets sneezing and coughing felt like packing it all in there and then for a hot bath and some Beecham lol but I remembered the difference a month made last month was just getting over the regular 10 mark and its doubled since so hopefully that trend keeps up get too 100 before spring and then maybe go full time in to this game

Last edited by a moderator:
Well done on your progress so far.  I only started in June and now have just over 65 customers.  I think I have dropped about 14, mostly none payers.  So take the rough with the smooth.  I got disheartened when I got my first few messers but after a while things come right.  Just expect to get through a lot of time wasters.  

For canvassing I just use vista print.  I knock the door, if they are not in I put a leaflet through the door.  I am still getting business from people phoning up 2 months after I dropped leaflets.  I am starting to manage my customers expectations, its a juggling act but I enjoy it.  

Regarding the earlier comments about taking other window cleaners work.  In 2 months I have had a couple of walk ups asking for price comparisons.  I owe nobody any favours I will always quote.  I know one guy tried to undercut me.  If the customer wants to pay less then who needs them eh?  Lets face it, with constant canvassing you can replace them.  I see my round like a bucket with a hole in it where customers drip out the bottom of my round and I gotta keep topping up the bucket.  Its all about the bucket....keep it full!!! 
Good way of putting it. Eventually the filling of the bucket will be faster than the emptying and the quality of the contents (customers) will be better. 

Good for you. ??

Good way of putting it. Eventually the filling of the bucket will be faster than the emptying and the quality of the contents (customers) will be better. 

Good for you. ??
And I guess often, a newcomer to the game will end up with the dregs to start with, picking up cast-offs and odd-jobs that none of the established firms want. However, this dont have to be bad. Often, those reject jobs can turn out to be great. If they are a nightmare job, price it well and alls fine.

And I guess often, a newcomer to the game will end up with the dregs to start with, picking up cast-offs and odd-jobs that none of the established firms want. However, this dont have to be bad. Often, those reject jobs can turn out to be great. If they are a nightmare job, price it well and alls fine.
You're right. It's tough starting out but once we get through that we've learned a lot, toughened a bit and learnt to read potential customers a bit better. Plus we've gained a bit of business and income to build on.  

Being a backpack operation ourselves we do a bit of work that guys with tank fitted systems dont want (back or terraces) i suggest you put it out there that you can do the back of terraces, its a good little gap in the market to capitalize on. As soon as people in terraces know they’ll be bouncing with excitement. 

Just price it well as it can be a pain (watch out for cream carpets) in hallways in particular. I try and make sure only go through if its hard floors that can be easily mopped. Also parking is often not convenient in streets of terraces. 

Still. If youre hungry for work. Look in to it dude. Hope it goes well for you. I would definitely look in to getting a van asap

I do like a good walk up, I had one the other day, who quickly turned on her heels after I told her the price, all fur coat and no knickers me thinks with some in new houses and nice cars on the drive. I do like a good analogy, just got to keep on going and you will soon hit your end goal

Probably have been @Iron Giantas he's a cheapskate, @sprucewill make his own and @Pjjare made from silk. Any way as the legend that's @steve garwoodseems to be awol it's pub time ?

images.jpg

I’ve been going since 2005 in the Farnham, Alton area. 

I grew up in sandhurst near Camberley. 

There have been LOADS of new startups in the area - and lots of companies from other areas come this way because it’s fairly affluent. 

That said we are still picking up new work on a daily basis without even trying so there is plenty of work still out there. 

Andy

Hey everyone I'm sure thst this has been covered in other areas but can't seem to find something with direct correlation 

Anyway my water from the tap given me a reading of under 70tds usually 66

Im currently using a small ro system I 75gpd as I don't think my customer base Warren's buying a 500gpd system as I'm using no where near thst amount roughly 2/400 ltrs a week slowly getting more 

Anyway its taking so long to fill my barrels I mean soooooo looooooong

Is there a quicker alternative that I could use as I'm still working full time and then going out to clean windows and then having to stay up forever to refill the barrels

All advice welcome

Thanks in advance

Fill into a storage tank of some kind over night or whatever, then just pump with a submersible pump into your barrels in a few minutes.

Latest Posts

Back