Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

I just started window cleaning (WFP)

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I just bought some disposable shoe covers from ebay. They just slip right over the footware and mean you can go inside with minimal fuss. They're also handy on the trolley wheels too...
I have disposables too....never thought of using on the trolley wheels....GENIUS!

I just bought some disposable shoe covers from ebay. They just slip right over the footware and mean you can go inside with minimal fuss. They're also handy on the trolley wheels too...

I used to use those but they can (and do) split sometimes. Wouldn't want that to happen on a nice white carpet!

Is there any particular brand of resin I should go for or are they all pretty much the same I see the most popular are tulson and unger

Tried to call my local supplier but they don't do weekends apparently shame wanted to get sorted today

Is there any particular brand of resin I should go for or are they all pretty much the same I see the most popular are tulson and unger

Tried to call my local supplier but they don't do weekends apparently shame wanted to get sorted today
Tulsion MB 115. is what seems to be the most popular and long lasting, just make sure you go to a reputable supplier like Daqua or Gardiner's as there are a few  dodgy suppliers selling inferior resin as Tulsion.

My wife has suggested a method of potentially boosting growth 

She has suggested that I give a free clean to someone who has provided 2/3 referrals she said if only 10 customers do it then that's an extra 20/30 customers and if tonly 10/ do it again out of that then that's another 20/30 customers with those numbers that would be great as I'm still using the family bus to transport my equipment to and from work places but as I still work full time and the dark nights will be rolling in quickly then I fear I wouldn't manage to get to do the work but also want to grow as quickly as reasonably possible so I can rely. On window cleaning to pay the bills and do it full time

What do you think is it a good idea especially as reading over the forum that this tie of year is usually a slow period of growth and spring a d summer are quicker I was hoping if I had enough to cover what I earn now over wi ter then when spring and summer time comes I could start trimming the work and only take the jobs that's worth it instead of taking any at the min

TIA guys

My wife has suggested a method of potentially boosting growth 

She has suggested that I give a free clean to someone who has provided 2/3 referrals she said if only 10 customers do it then that's an extra 20/30 customers and if tonly 10/ do it again out of that then that's another 20/30 customers with those numbers that would be great as I'm still using the family bus to transport my equipment to and from work places but as I still work full time and the dark nights will be rolling in quickly then I fear I wouldn't manage to get to do the work but also want to grow as quickly as reasonably possible so I can rely. On window cleaning to pay the bills and do it full time

What do you think is it a good idea especially as reading over the forum that this tie of year is usually a slow period of growth and spring a d summer are quicker I was hoping if I had enough to cover what I earn now over wi ter then when spring and summer time comes I could start trimming the work and only take the jobs that's worth it instead of taking any at the min

TIA guys
If you've got time on your hands at the moment then whatever gets you customers is fine. A free clean for 2 referrals (could do 1/2 price for 1?) Is cheap for a new customer compared to buying work or even lead generation. Or another way of looking at it is 15 mins work (or however long it takes) for 2 new customers.

This is better than the other way which is giving new customers a free first clean, as that's the most difficult. The free clean is a regular maintenance clean which is fast but you can still charge extra for the first clean on the new customer.

Once you are full and don't need the work then knock the free cleans on the head though.

Once you are full and don't need the work then knock the free cleans on the head though.

Yea I was. Thinking of testing the water in November with this one as I was having a competition on Facebook for a Halloween hamper to get more likes and shares on the page which has worked to some extent but not much work came from it

But I may start this week with it u know the sooner the better and end it at the end of November maybe

Id personally be very dubious about "giving cleans away".Its a business for a reason.Work out how much FREE cleans'll cost you,then decide..A discount,fair enough maybe..

E.G..Initial clean say £20 then £15 after that...as there's a reason for doing so.Helps to encourage Client base interest mate.

I was thinking that too was really. On the fense about doing it to be honest but I was thinking a small short term loss for a long term gain

Was thinking t&cs was that people had to sign up to regular cleans to qualify to safeguard against just gett a one and done then be back to square one and then was also thinking we'll if I'm doing as good a job as I think I am then I should be converting those ones anyway really need to think but I believe there is merit in the idea 

I have disposables too....never thought of using on the trolley wheels....GENIUS!

Heh, one of the perks of being desperate is you come up with a lot of problem solves in unusual ways lol.

I figured carrying a trolley weighing 30kg through someones house wasn't practical.. but neither was leaving marks from the wheels all over the carpet. Whats good for the shoe is good for the wheel..

Hey Tango.Dont forget the trolley on wheels might weigh 30 kgs...then upto 50 kgs of Pure Water inside..thats nearly 80 (even) kgs mate!...

As long as youve got an extended water line,to go via someones house.Should be ok.

Last edited by a moderator:
Heh, one of the perks of being desperate is you come up with a lot of problem solves in unusual ways lol.

I figured carrying a trolley weighing 30kg through someones house wasn't practical.. but neither was leaving marks from the wheels all over the carpet. Whats good for the shoe is good for the wheel..

would it not be easier to take the hose through the house and leave the trolley out the front that’s what I did years ago , don’t do that type of work any more though but if starting out that’s how I would do it 

Thats excatly what i implied pjj...An extended water line via the clients house...

Pjj,if you dont do that type of work anymore,what type do you do then ?.

Thats excatly what i implied pjj...An extended water line via the clients house...

Pjj,if you dont do that type of work anymore,what type do you do then ?.

we won’t go through customers houses to access the backs , most where I am are semis or detached so not generally a problem , if doing rows of terraced houses we only do the fronts , I find it to time consuming and the customer needs to be in so we won’t do them any more 

Was thinking t&cs was that people had to sign up to regular cleans to qualify to safeguard against just gett a one and done then be back to square one

You might struggle to get folks to agree to any sort of terms & conditions... Especially those "off the grid" kind of customers who only pay by cash and you don't even know their name ?

we won’t go through customers houses to access the backs , most where I am are semis or detached so not generally a problem , if doing rows of terraced houses we only do the fronts , I find it to time consuming and the customer needs to be in so we won’t do them any more 
Fair play Pjj.Unfortunately,theres quite a few of them about.As you say,just the front,if at all.

I no longer take on jobs that involve going through the house, either. I still have some but as I say I'm not taking any more on. They are a pain, what with folk needing to be in, doors banging in the wind and trying not to get carpets dirty.

I'm lucky enough to have enough work with semi's, detached etc. Though I fully understand that folk starting out might not have the luxury of turning down work that may not be ideal. 

I'd say for anyone canvassing; don't necessarily accept or target everything and anything. I'd target the areas and house types that you would like to be working with long term, if possible. 

You might struggle to get folks to agree to any sort of terms & conditions... Especially those "off the grid" kind of customers who only pay by cash and you don't even know their name ?
Nowt wrong with the Queen's currency, Davit. ?

Hey Tango.Dont forget the trolley on wheels might weigh 30 kgs...then upto 50 kgs of Pure Water inside..thats nearly 80 (even) kgs mate!...

As long as youve got an extended water line,to go via someones house.Should be ok.

I use the gardiner back pack on a clarke strong arm folding trolley. Back pack is around 8kg empty i think, + 23L of water (at around 1kg per L) so that's around 31Kg. Okay.. the trolley weighs around 7 too so around 38 i think all in at a push..

would it not be easier to take the hose through the house and leave the trolley out the front that’s what I did years ago , don’t do that type of work any more though but if starting out that’s how I would do it 

Gardiner say the BP should be limited to 20m of hose. Besides, how on earth would I do the rear door with the hose going through it? - couldn't close it properly! Must confess though I did wonder about doing it this way after reading a few other users saying they use longer lengths of hose than recommended but all the time i still had a warranty on the pump i wasn't going to be doing that.

I still need to hack a remote control into it. Apparently the pure freedom trolley already has one, can't see why Alex hasn't done this too but i'll hack my own in at some point when i can afford some 3.3v regulator chips for the RF transceivers lol.

Admittedly though i can't really be bothered with terraced houses and do try to avoid them but i will do them if requested but i won't knock on their doors.

Gardiner say the BP should be limited to 20m of hose. Besides, how on earth would I do the rear door with the hose going through it? - couldn't close it properly!

Do the back door by hand - spray some purified water on it (out of a spray bottle) then wipe with microfibre cloth to get all the dirt off, then finish with a glass scrim. 

Or, do what I do, and unclip the microbore from inside the pole and feed hose through a letterbox or cat-flap then reattach.

If you're unable to do those, then get the customer to hold the door shut, just enough to allow your hose to be through but not pinched ?

Do the back door by hand - spray some purified water on it (out of a spray bottle) then wipe with microfibre cloth to get all the dirt off, then finish with a glass scrim. 

Or, do what I do, and unclip the microbore from inside the pole and feed hose through a letterbox or cat-flap then reattach.

If you're unable to do those, then get the customer to hold the door shut, just enough to allow your hose to be through but not pinched ?
To be honest guys.With all the above advice,me included.I think in future,i'll be sticking with houses i can get round with an opening a side gate or detached.Unless of course,owners approach me.Havent got time to mess about to be fair.Im trying to build a business up.If their abhorrent about it,i wont bother,nice about it.Then i'll have alook & may do it.They could recommend.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back