Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

I just started window cleaning (WFP)

WCF

Help Support WCF:

No no meter yet in NI I'm sure it's coming though 

Would I be going through resin quickly though or for using so little would it last a while as I wouldn't want to be buying resin every other week would be cheaper to get the big ro system would it not

No no meter yet in NI I'm sure it's coming though 

Would I be going through resin quickly though or for using so little would it last a while as I wouldn't want to be buying resin every other week would be cheaper to get the big ro system would it not
If you're only using 400 litres a week a 25kg bag of resin should last approximately 28 weeks. I'm assuming you have a decent sized DI vessel 

https://www.thecleaningwarehouse.co.uk/resin-calculator-34-w.asp

Im only using 200/250 litres a week, but when I started I presumed I'd be using that much a day, so i bought the 40/21. Low water pressure so needed the booster pump too, so quite  pricey all in. Only takes a couple of hours a week to get that though.

When I started I presumed it would be as simple to get customers as it was when I'd done it 16 odd years back, but certainly was a lot harder. Even so, If I'd known I would probably still have got the 40/21 as I couldnt handle doing overnight etc to get the water.

I have a 25l di vessel just waiting I bought before and never used as I'm using the 75gpd ro which has a 1l di filter at the end of the filtration process

But if the 25l resin lasted nearly 30 weeks that's worth looking I to like 6 months worth and would it be much quicker than the current method feels like 3 hours for a 25l barrel

Exactly, look at me for instance. I was laughed off this forum because I only had 20 customers. I have been going only 2yrs and never looked for any customers. I just take one day at a time because I have other odd-jobs to do. Yesterday I picked up 2 bungalows at 15 each a month. First thing I tell the customer is that I am not cheap but I am good, reliable and trustworthy, now I have 80 customers and it takes me nearly a week to get round them all. I have found the best way to get new customers is when one is out doing the job on a Saturday, that's when I get new enquires. :1f609:
I would never mention the word "cheap" in a conversation with a customer about my services, and when asked about a price i always say "it will only be £***.", or "I can do it for just £*** "

I have a 25l di vessel just waiting I bought before and never used as I'm using the 75gpd ro which has a 1l di filter at the end of the filtration process

But if the 25l resin lasted nearly 30 weeks that's worth looking I to like 6 months worth and would it be much quicker than the current method feels like 3 hours for a 25l barrel
Yes is prob better in your situation. As my tap tds is 530 I have to use Ro. Also remember your resin is still good when it goes up to 4 or 5, some use it even longer than that.

I've refused to quote jobs when they say they already got a windy and as I'm walking away they'll ask "how much?" - my answer is "sorry you've got a window cleaner and i'm not going to take their work!"

Yes I could do with the work but I don't want to have someones financial collapse on my hands. That extra £10-15 might be their kids pair of school shoes etc.
What about your financial collapse?. And have you ever thought you could be providing that customer with the service she wants that is better than the one being provided already?.

I've refused to quote jobs when they say they already got a windy and as I'm walking away they'll ask "how much?" - my answer is "sorry you've got a window cleaner and i'm not going to take their work!"

Yes I could do with the work but I don't want to have someones financial collapse on my hands. That extra £10-15 might be their kids pair of school shoes etc.
What about your financial collapse?. And have you ever thought you could be providing that customer with the service she wants that is better than the one being provided already?.

OK thanks for the advice guys really appreciate it will invest in some resin and then hopefully that solves the speed issue

One more thing I'm getting a lot of requests for insides recently and didn't really want to do it but because of custys having to be there for cleans but because I have said I only do outsides I've lost potential customers

Would you do insides and what would the charges be I was thinking of going to buy some kit for i sides when buying the resin as I'm just starting want to get as much customers as possible but don't want to make a habit of doing insides. 

OK thanks for the advice guys really appreciate it will invest in some resin and then hopefully that solves the speed issue

One more thing I'm getting a lot of requests for insides recently and didn't really want to do it but because of custys having to be there for cleans but because I have said I only do outsides I've lost potential customers

Would you do insides and what would the charges be I was thinking of going to buy some kit for i sides when buying the resin as I'm just starting want to get as much customers as possible but don't want to make a habit of doing insides. 
I know certain people would say stick to outside only as internal work is a pita. However if you are losing work, work that will help you get established, then I personally would do it. 

When you're established you can then drop the internals. Price wise anything up to double the external price. Always insist that they clear the sills before you do them, so ask them when you turn up and do the outside first. 

DI only it will take you a few minutes to fill each of your 25l containers. 

Inside work is a double edged sword, I do the inside of a care home every month and whist in summer it can be pretty hot and unpleasant, but last week when it was absolutely hammering it down it was quiet nice looking out at the horrible weather while I worked.

Only internals I do is the occasional kitchen window over the sink for a few of my older customers (free of charge), 
same.......although when i first started id clean anything......insides,gutter clearing,etc.....now i dont offer anything apart from outside window cleaning and the occasional add on job(UPVC,conny roof,solar panel cleans).....

ive only ever lost one job in 26 years because i refused to clean insides......and they took me back on 6 months ago after 5 years of using another window cleaner!(i still dont clean their inside windows though!)?

I know certain people would say stick to outside only as internal work is a pita. However if you are losing work, work that will help you get established, then I personally would do it. 

When you're established you can then drop the internals. Price wise anything up to double the external price. Always insist that they clear the sills before you do them, so ask them when you turn up and do the outside first. 

DI only it will take you a few minutes to fill each of your 25l containers. 
Thank you part timer really appreciate your help I was thinking along those lines myself need to get some booties to cover my shoes though after doing the outside 

For interiors, initial cleans are double what the outside is as it tends to include scraping the glass and taking a long time on them. Semi-regular are done at price and a half of the outside windows. And oes that we do every visit are the same as the exterior price. 

Also, we insist that the window sills are clear or there is a charge of £1 per item.

I carry a nice, clean pair of trainers that I use for interiors.
Oh clever nice pair of waterproof for outside and clean shoes for inside 

So shopping list for the weekend then trad gear step shoes and resin

Lost always seems to find a way to grow doesn't it

Latest Posts

Back