Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

I used to have a window cleaner, BUT................

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Baldmonkey

omg if i hear one more..."I had a window cleaner but" when on quotes im going to write a book with the same title and just list the reasons, here is what i have heard so far and every single one has been a trad cleaner.

I had a window cleaner, but....

he never shows up

he borrowed my ladder and didnt return it

he stole my patio furniture so i sacked him

he wanted paying when he hadnt cleaned the windows

he was coming every week in the end.

WHAT "I HAD A WINDOW CLEANER, BUT" STORIES HAVE YOU HEARD???

omg if i hear one more..."I had a window cleaner but" when on quotes im going to write a book with the same title and just list the reasons, here is what i have heard so far and every single one has been a trad cleaner.

he never shows up

"I have a window cleaner BUT he does a **** job".   Ok here's your price of £X to do a proper job.  Customer : "No thanks, you're pricey" says she who lives in a detached country retreat, wants ins and outs done totalling 80 windows and wants me to clear sills.? People are weird ?

I’ve had “he wanted paying but hadn’t cleaned the windows” a few times!

also had “he retired” and “he fell off his ladders” a fair few times aswell

Just today I was at someones door and she said "oh yeah we did used to have a window cleaner but he didn't really clean the windows properly, he was only charging us 3 quid but at least they was done but we haven't seen him for ages he just stopped coming in the end"

“I had a window cleaner who used to show up on his bike but he always used to show up half cut and sit on the porch talking to me for half hour at a time with a can of strongbow” is one of the best ones i’ve heard

Another was

”well there is that guy who does this whole estate, he treats it as his turf, sometimes we see him every month, sometimes we wont see him for seven months, all depends on how long his sentences are, he’s in and out all the time. He sometimes gets his mate to keep up with his rounds while he’s inside but its very inconsistent really, can you do us on the one off until he shows up again?”

Just today I was at someones door and she said "oh yeah we did used to have a window cleaner but he didn't really clean the windows properly, he was only charging us 3 quid but at least they was done but we haven't seen him for ages he just stopped coming in the end"
Summer beer token merchant !, now weather has changed they hibernate till next year.

i had to cancel my last window cleaner as soon as I received the text message night before my wife always ended up being bad and missing work that day ?
MUST be a Trad man ?

he never shows up

Obviously all wfp cleaners are Saints ?

he never shows up

I had a window cleaner.....he only charged £12 for my 4 bed detached house...but then he stopped coming

I got told this one by two doctors in an old Victorian villa which cost £750k and had nearly forty windows. I had a pair of window cleaners who charged £14, were here for half an hour and didn't do such a good job. I asked, what happened to them? they never came back. I replied no wonder they must have been making less than the minimum wage. I would charge £40 for cleaning your windows because it would take me at least an hour. The female doctor was shocked and replied, I don't get £40 an hour and I'm a qualified doctor. I replied, you should have trained to be a window cleaner then! and walked away.

I got told this one by two doctors in an old Victorian villa which cost £750k and had nearly forty windows. I had a pair of window cleaners who charged £14, were here for half an hour and didn't do such a good job. I asked, what happened to them? they never came back. I replied no wonder they must have been making less than the minimum wage. I would charge £40 for cleaning your windows because it would take me at least an hour. The female doctor was shocked and replied, I don't get £40 an hour and I'm a qualified doctor. I replied, you should have trained to be a window cleaner then! and walked away.
Not wise "helping" your prospective customers to work out how much you are earning!!!! recipe for disaster.

It’s roughly the same around here. Dont know what @Ian F charges but he must be making a mint if £12 for 15 minutes work is cheap. We do charge a little more if out in the sticks as there’s travelling costs to think about. 
That's interesting....I'm fairly new to this and this was one of the first quotes I did. The house has the following:

Back: 3 standard windows upstairs.

2 standard + patio door downstairs.

Side: Door and 2 small windows. 

Front: 1 large and 2 standard upstairs.

Large bay and front door with side panel window on ground floor.

Side: 1 small upstairs window

Maybe it's a 5 bed?....not sure.

Not wise "helping" your prospective customers to work out how much you are earning!!!! recipe for disaster.

No, one is better being honest and nearly all self-employed are looking for £40 an hour. Too many unseen costs for the self-employed to strive for anything less. What I'm finding now is manual jobs have good wages because few want to do them. Landscape gardeners are making a fortune up here because you need to wait over six months to get one. I do a few slabbing jobs and can easily make 200 to 300 a day easy because no one wants to do it. Going to see one today and may ask if he has a window cleaner. ?

Latest Posts

Back