Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

IBC tank advice

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I need to cut a hole in my tank but what tool do I use to cut into the top as neatly as possible. I like the idea of a hinge ?

The plastic is very thin so you could use a Stanley knife. If you are going for the 'pineapple tin slice' flap from the filler outwards then you will need to use a hacksaw or one of those multitools at the threaded flange as the plastic is much thicker.

Last edited by a moderator:
With regards to re using ibc tanks would it be wise to look ideally for ones used with water based contents? I've Sen loads of these on eBay, 600 and 1000 litres with many stating what was inside.

id gather a oil is going to be more of a pain to get rid of then something water based? I'd be using it for storing pure and dropping a sump pump in there to fill the van each evening for the day to come.

I’ve currently got a a cross shap cut out. It was recommended i should seal it with putty and duck tape... this didn’t work but as you suggest the screw lid holds it all together anyway.

My plan is to remove the screw top lid section completely. A piece of HDPE plastic is going to be fitted as a hinge on the top to provide access to the tank to easily service the pump etc.

The only thing I plan to come out of that hatch is the plug for the pump. I’m going to drill holes towards the edge for the JG tube to go in and the sump hose to come out. Might also fit grommets so the hoses are snug.

9CB421E0-0B80-4962-9F0B-130A2EDBFF24.jpeg

8E571F1B-2394-4179-9A03-1523A2C48FD6.jpeg

F8DEE609-BA8B-4A03-9800-234B76C3B93F.jpeg

the Above as worked perfect for the last couple of years the lid as never came loose even though I have undone a couple of times to change float valve ballcock. 

View attachment 15805

View attachment 15806

View attachment 15807

the Above as worked perfect for the last couple of years the lid as never came loose even though I have undone a couple of times to change float valve ballcock. 

That's the way. You could also screw in a couple of stainless steel pan head screws into the cut. The thread of the screw will pull both pieces together and the flat head of the screw will hold it together from the top.

That's the way. You could also screw in a couple of stainless steel pan head screws into the cut. The thread of the screw will pull both pieces together and the flat head of the screw will hold it together from the top.
Do you literally mean along the seam of the cut? before you tape it or afterwards?

View attachment 15805

View attachment 15806

View attachment 15807

That looks neat and tidy. I cut a cross so that but both sides, doesn't look as neat and tidy. I did try and get it to mould back together with a heat gun once, might be worth another go before I take a big square out! It's not likely I would need to service the flood pump anyway (Touch wood).

I've got nothing on tomorrow so gonna sort it. Need to move my RO to the other side of the garage too, just for ease with wires etc.

Two cuts only with a normal saw in the ‘v’ as per the photos lift the flap insert pump small drill hole for power cable and 1” hole for outlet hose screw lid back on as normal gaffer tape the two straight cuts, if I wasn’t this fat I would stand on it to show the integrity strength of gaffer tape lol seriously think it was @spruce that mentioned this method a couple years ago. 

Two cuts only with a normal saw in the ‘v’ as per the photos lift the flap insert pump small drill hole for power cable and 1” hole for outlet hose screw lid back on as normal gaffer tape the two straight cuts, if I wasn’t this fat I would stand on it to show the integrity strength of gaffer tape lol seriously think it was @spruce that mentioned this method a couple years ago. 
Yeah but I can't uncut it now @Den ??? Just jealous of how neat and tidy yours looks.

Back