Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Is an 89bhp Nissan NV200 powerful enough?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Fullmancleaning

Hi!
Sorry if I’m posting this in the wrong section, first time.
My caddy has packed in and I am going to replace it with a Nissan NV200. There are lots of 5 gear 89bhp available, the 6 gear 110bhp which I would prefer is harder to find.
My question is: does anyone here use the 89 bhp model for their window cleaning?
I carry up to 500L of water (don’t worry I am conscious of NV200 max payload and safety precautions).
Any personal experience would be appreciated!
Thanks

Hi!
My caddy has packed in and I am going to replace it with a Nissan NV200. There are lots of 5 gear 89bhp available, the 6 gear 110bhp which I would prefer is harder to find.
My question is: does anyone here use the 89 bhp model for their window cleaning?
I carry up to 500L of water (don’t worry I am conscious of NV200 max payload and safety precautions).
Thanks
Does it have optional pedals? Rather lacking horsepower in my opinion but it's really only top end speed so 50mph won't make any difference unless your climbing extreme gradients

Hi!
Thanks
Can't you find one to hire and see how it goes? I understand it won't be loaded. But my old Citroën Relay 2.0hdi was 86 hp (I appreciate horsepower and torque are 2 different things). It pulled fine with a full tank of 650 litres of water. There was a difference between a full tank and an empty tank, but it's also noticeable with my 2.2 HDI (Transit Puma engine) Peugeot Boxer with 110hp. My Citroën van also pulled an 18' caravan at 60mph, OK.

Can't you find one to hire and see how it goes? I understand it won't be loaded. But my old Citroën Relay 2.0hdi was 86 hp (I appreciate horsepower and torque are 2 different things). It pulled fine with a full tank of 650 litres of water. There was a difference between a full tank and an empty tank, but it's also noticeable with my 2.2 HDI (Transit Puma engine) Peugeot Boxer with 110hp. My Citroën van also pulled an 18' caravan at 60mph, OK.
Thanks, I have test driven two 89bhp ones locally and they felt like they would pull okay with 500L (comparing it to how my 1.9tdi caddy pulled with an empty tank) - it’s good to hear of someone working out of a similarly powered van and even heavier payload in the back. Thanks!

Does it have optional pedals? Rather lacking horsepower in my opinion but it's really only top end speed so 50mph won't make any difference unless your climbing extreme gradients
Good point - I do have to think about the gradients a bit as I work largely in Cornwall, lots of hilly country lanes!

First post here, been gaining great info for 10 years but finally decided to contribute 😊

I’ve used the 89bhp NV200 for 10 years. Only a 350 litre tank mind you. Always pulled fine, but when full it is noticeable. I personally wouldn’t go above a 400 maybe 425 litre in this van. Braking would also be a struggle with more. I live in Devon and also very hilly. It’s rated payload is 739kg, but looking on the grippatank payload checker, they actually state the NV200 is only capable of 400 litre systems, as they state the 500 litre would need a minimum of 800kg payload.
If you do fit a 500 litre I’d be interested to know how it handles.

First post here, been gaining great info for 10 years but finally decided to contribute 😊

I’ve used the 89bhp NV200 for 10 years. Only a 350 litre tank mind you. Always pulled fine, but when full it is noticeable. I personally wouldn’t go above a 400 maybe 425 litre in this van. Braking would also be a struggle with more. I live in Devon and also very hilly. It’s rated payload is 739kg, but looking on the grippatank payload checker, they actually state the NV200 is only capable of 400 litre systems, as they state the 500 litre would need a minimum of 800kg payload.
If you do fit a 500 litre I’d be interested to know how it handles.
No, the idea is not to encourage him to fit a 500 litre tank. If the tank is full and does either overload the payload of the van or either axle, then he is breaking the law. Sorry to be blunt.

We advise everyone on the forum to stay with the payload and axle limits of the vehicle involved, and not break the law, ever.

My son's van will just support using a full 500 litre tank of water, but as I have said many times before, I can't get in the passenger seat next to him as I will overload the van. When he does use his van, he doesn't fill the tank up. He fills it to around the 300 litre (just above half full) mark. This is sufficient water for him to use on a day's work.

No, the idea is not to encourage him to fit a 500 litre tank. If the tank is full and does either overload the payload of the van or either axle, then he is breaking the law. Sorry to be blunt.

We advise everyone on the forum to stay with the payload and axle limits of the vehicle involved, and not break the law, ever.

My son's van will just support using a full 500 litre tank of water, but as I have said many times before, I can't get in the passenger seat next to him as I will overload the van. When he does use his van, he doesn't fill the tank up. He fills it to around the 300 litre (just above half full) mark. This is sufficient water for him to use on a day's work.
My first post needing correction, oh dear, not the best start to my plan of giving back to the forum.

I certainly did not intend to try and encourage any law breaking, but I appreciate your caution Spruce. Even though the 500 litres of water and tank would be within the legal payload of the van, he would have to be pretty careful to not exceed it with the complete system, hence grippatanks’ rough guide of 800kg min for 500 litres, based on their system weight.
Safety is an essential first consideration in planning a system, so thanks for your concern. I’ll try and be super careful with any future posts 👍🏻

Latest Posts

Back