Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Is flat tank ok to be strapped down

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Any load that is been carried more so a full water tank needs to be prevented from forward shift, backward shift and upward lift in the event of an accident, I'd recommend buying a frame and getting it bolted into the back of your van as the older your van is it's likely that the lashing points are attached to the van with 2-3 inch bolts

If anyone can show there setups that there tanks are strapped down I'd appreciate it thanks
While you will find lots of strapped in tanks it's not safe at all. In the event of an accident the tank can weigh upto 4 times it's normal weight. So a 400lts tank could weigh 1600kg! Most manufacturers don't publish what the tie down points can take as they don't want any claims coming back on them. If you really want to risk your own life, I'm assuming you are not employing or ltd as that creates bigger issues, then you need to get proper rated eye bolts and spreader plates under the floor plus straps rated north of 4,000kg. Even then it's iffy as you have nothing to support the actual tank as it's plastic and deforms quite easily.

It's your life and up to you how you do thinks but consider the consequences!

While you will find lots of strapped in tanks it's not safe at all. In the event of an accident the tank can weigh upto 4 times it's normal weight. So a 400lts tank could weigh 1600kg! Most manufacturers don't publish what the tie down points can take as they don't want any claims coming back on them. If you really want to risk your own life, I'm assuming you are not employing or ltd as that creates bigger issues, then you need to get proper rated eye bolts and spreader plates under the floor plus straps rated north of 4,000kg. Even then it's iffy as you have nothing to support the actual tank as it's plastic and deforms quite easily.

It's your life and up to you how you do thinks but consider the consequences!
Where do you even go to get it bolted down

Where do you even go to get it bolted down
Some garages will do it or there are some suppliers of systems that fit them. You could DIY it but sometimes it involves dropping the fuel and ad blue tanks down. There is a mobile company that someone mentioned a few days ago that came and fitted their system for them on their driveway.

I got off the phone to pure freedom and they said that flat tanks aren't good due to gravity its will only half work ? Is this correct I was going to use a 350 to 400 litre water tank flat but I don't know now

Why would it only half work? Granted with a flat tank there is more chance of air locks as the water level lowers if the output value is on a side, but you end up just parking on a curb so more water moves to that end. What van are you looking at?

Only prob with lay flat tanks is airlocks once water level starts to drop or if your half on a kerb with not much in it

Why would it only half work? Granted with a flat tank there is more chance of air locks as the water level lowers if the output value is on a side, but you end up just parking on a curb so more water moves to that end. What van are you looking at?
I have a vauxhall combo I want to bolt down a 400 litre tank but I've been quoted £900 so I'm have to be really careful and strap it down

@James102 most I've seen tend to be upright, but the best I've ever seen was a flat tank that spotless water used to offer (I think it was about 5 years ago when they used to sell tanks and frames). It was really nice quality and from a safety point of view the water moves very differently to an upright. It's better because in an accident the water rushes forward, but because it's flat the capacity behind the driver/at the bulkhead is much smaller, and that in turn makes the back of the tank tilt upwards but the front end (behind the driver) stays on the floor - so in an accident the tank ends up tilted upwards at a 20⁰ angle (ish) for a short period, rather than pulling the entire tank forward toward the driver if it's an upright.

I have a vauxhall combo I want to bolt down a 400 litre tank but I've been quoted £900 so I'm have to be really careful and strap it down
That surely can't be £900 just to bolt a tank down? if you spoke to PF that would have been with a tank, cage, and fitting surely? I know they wanted £600 to bolt down my Facelift 425ltr compact system as WCW was only going to charge £400

if you have an old shape combo an upright tank would be better imo I had 350ltr upright in my 64-plate combo I had it strapped against the bulkhead for a while, but I was shocked when I removed the lashing points to find they were 2-3 inch bolts if you are stuck for funds but get the lashing points upgraded with proper rated eye bolts etc

One advantage you will get with the flat tank is you can mount your hose reels in top. I did this years ago and the hight of the reels helps with the back.

I also bought some roof liner and painted all the floor and a few inch up the bulkhead. Then after a day installed the tank and put a length of think 90 degree angle steel horizontal across the floor between the bulkhead and the tank.

I bolted it down making sure to avoid anything important.
Then I got 4 500kg load 2ton breaking for straps and used every single one off the mounting brackets.

That along with t friction that a flat tank had on the pained floor wired very well. Had a crash was doing about 20 when I hit. Tank was full and did not noticeable move.

That surely can't be £900 just to bolt a tank down? if you spoke to PF that would have been with a tank, cage, and fitting surely? I know they wanted £600 to bolt down my Facelift 425ltr compact system as WCW was only going to charge £400

if you have an old shape combo an upright tank would be better imo I had 350ltr upright in my 64-plate combo I had it strapped against the bulkhead for a while, but I was shocked when I removed the lashing points to find they were 2-3 inch bolts if you are stuck for funds but get the lashing points upgraded with proper rated eye bolts etc
I rang wcw they put me in Touch with purefreedom and just to Install a frame was £900 so I'm just going to risk it because that's ridiculous

One advantage you will get with the flat tank is you can mount your hose reels in top. I did this years ago and the hight of the reels helps with the back.

I also bought some roof liner and painted all the floor and a few inch up the bulkhead. Then after a day installed the tank and put a length of think 90 degree angle steel horizontal across the floor between the bulkhead and the tank.

I bolted it down making sure to avoid anything important.
Then I got 4 500kg load 2ton breaking for straps and used every single one off the mounting brackets.

That along with t friction that a flat tank had on the pained floor wired very well. Had a crash was doing about 20 when I hit. Tank was full and did not noticeable move.
Ye it's cost too much to get it bolted down

Would it be safer than an upright?
I don't think it makes much of a difference to safety. If your intending on using most of your water each day then a van with a flat tank needs to be angled so the outlet is the lowest point, so parking on the kerb with outlet down can help. An upright tank will have same issue but with a lot less litres in, so easier to park where convenient rather than with outlet at lowest point.
I have a 400lts upright tank in a 2019 New shape Partner. It fits well but if you use spotless then getting to the tank lid regularly could be a bit of a pain as the side door top is below the tank top, it's doable just a bit of a wiggle to get the nozzle in. That said there is space above the tank for pole tubes, and my step ladder with a little space to spare. Also there is a space at the bottom of the bulkhead as its not flat (so seats can recline a little) and my gutter vac poles just slide in between the tank and bulkhead in their bag (gvs ali poles as they are shorter for width of van).

As for fitting a tank have a look here: Zero Ds WFP review It was a system swap (out old van, in new), their site is here: ZERO DS WFP might be worth a chat with them?

I don't think it makes much of a difference to safety. If your intending on using most of your water each day then a van with a flat tank needs to be angled so the outlet is the lowest point, so parking on the kerb with outlet down can help. An upright tank will have same issue but with a lot less litres in, so easier to park where convenient rather than with outlet at lowest point.
I have a 400lts upright tank in a 2019 New shape Partner. It fits well but if you use spotless then getting to the tank lid regularly could be a bit of a pain as the side door top is below the tank top, it's doable just a bit of a wiggle to get the nozzle in. That said there is space above the tank for pole tubes, and my step ladder with a little space to spare. Also there is a space at the bottom of the bulkhead as its not flat (so seats can recline a little) and my gutter vac poles just slide in between the tank and bulkhead in their bag (gvs ali poles as they are shorter for width of van).

As for fitting a tank have a look here: Zero Ds WFP review It was a system swap (out old van, in new), their site is here: ZERO DS WFP might be worth a chat with them?
Ye I got a quote from them already £600

Back