Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Is it ok to do WFP cleaning in -2 my first winter doing it

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Got going at 10 this morning tried it at 9ish but system frozen up despite heater in van.. don't normally get such brutally cold nights..

Bit of snow early on then warmed up so as I was getting ready the heavens opened and the wind whipped up to 40mph. So I stayed at home and made some new signs for the van.

If the water isnt freeing on the glass and your equipment isnt frozen then crack on. Worrying about water on the ground isnt in my mind. Ive never had one customer moan about water on the ground or had anyone say theyve slipped in 9 winters at this job.
Yesterday was worse than today around here (today we had snow on the ground). Yesterday the water was flowing fine but it was freezing on the ground. I managed to get all but one job done but it was very dodgy. I had two jobs that had like a shiny surface flagstones and they were like an ice rink after I had cleaned them. I had to put table salt down (their salt ?) and made it very clear to the customers to be super careful around the doorways.

In conditions like yesterday it's completely irresponsible and inexcusable to just clean the windows and walk off. I felt really bad despite me recognising it and taking measures to make it safer.

If you just left it to freeze and someone fell over and broke a bone then you are 100% at fault for that.

Today I bought a 10kg bag of rock salt, white stuff to keep the paths clean looking rather than the brown muddy stuff, ended up not needing it as it was totally different. Warmed up in the afternoon and the snow was all melting so was obviously not needed.

What I've worked out is the type of surface the path is dictates how concerned you should be. Hard non porous flagging / stone, the water just sits on the top and freezes. Porous stone like the red brick zig zag driveway is virtually immune to it because the water sinks through the brick and doesn't sit on top.

Yesterday was worse than today around here (today we had snow on the ground). Yesterday the water was flowing fine but it was freezing on the ground. I managed to get all but one job done but it was very dodgy. I had two jobs that had like a shiny surface flagstones and they were like an ice rink after I had cleaned them. I had to put table salt down (their salt ?) and made it very clear to the customers to be super careful around the doorways.

In conditions like yesterday it's completely irresponsible and inexcusable to just clean the windows and walk off. I felt really bad despite me recognising it and taking measures to make it safer.

If you just left it to freeze and someone fell over and broke a bone then you are 100% at fault for that.

Today I bought a 10kg bag of rock salt, white stuff to keep the paths clean looking rather than the brown muddy stuff, ended up not needing it as it was totally different. Warmed up in the afternoon and the snow was all melting so was obviously not needed.

What I've worked out is the type of surface the path is dictates how concerned you should be. Hard non porous flagging / stone, the water just sits on the top and freezes. Porous stone like the red brick zig zag driveway is virtually immune to it because the water sinks through the brick and doesn't sit on top.
Bloody hell chris. How bigs their salt shaker? they must have really high cholestral. I reckon you`ve done them a favour :ROFLMAO:

Bloody hell chris. How bigs their salt shaker? they must have really high cholestral. I reckon you`ve done them a favour :ROFLMAO:

The ones the customers gave me ? I think you're probably right, I've done them both a favour. Like those big round tubs like you get cheap hot chocolate powder in :LOL: Put it this way, my hand only wrapped half way round the tub when holding it :LOL:

I don’t wrap my tank up and it gets the back of the van nice and warm like a big radiator. I only have a 500ltr though and put it on quite early for the next day ( on for 16hrs or so) it’s been a game changer for me . I have insulated the back of the van though
I have my van insulated as well, on the roof and sides along with thick wood in cut-out panels, I did wonder on Monday morning why my water was just warm as I had it on since 2pm on Sunday I'm now thinking there is an issue with my heater although I don't have it fully submersed as I cant with the tank I now have, when I had a 350ltr upright I could fully submerse it without it touching the bottom or sides

If the water isnt freeing on the glass and your equipment isnt frozen then crack on. Worrying about water on the ground isnt in my mind. Ive never had one customer moan about water on the ground or had anyone say theyve slipped in 9 winters at this job.
Same here, although 15 years of wfp and not one complaint the only job I put salt down is a commercial job as lots of glass above the main entrance, it goes down before I start, I couldn't be walking up and down the streets with a wfp in one hand a bucket of salt in the other then going back and forth to the van topping up with salt

Same here, although 15 years of wfp and not one complaint the only job I put salt down is a commercial job as lots of glass above the main entrance, it goes down before I start, I couldn't be walking up and down the streets with a wfp in one hand a bucket of salt in the other then going back and forth to the van topping up with salt

I totally understand it with commercial. Usually you there for an hour or a few hours and it's a bigger ticket job. You also have a high flow of people coming in entrances which the company would be responsible for ensuring is safe. Therfore you would have to comply and make sure its safe. Its a bigger ticket job and worth 5 mins with the salt.

Different from cleaning £12 semis and walking round all day salting everything.

Well you sit at home being responsible and worrying what might happen and I'll crack on and earn some money.

As for being responsible for an accident I'm not so sure. I put water on the ground not ice I can't control the elements. Also it's winter just because there's ice on the ground doesn't mean you have to slip on it be more carefull. On top of that prove it.

Honestly I'm not any more worried about ice than I am about working in the rain.

I totally understand it with commercial. Usually you there for an hour or a few hours and it's a bigger ticket job. You also have a high flow of people coming in entrances which the company would be responsible for ensuring is safe. Therfore you would have to comply and make sure its safe. Its a bigger ticket job and worth 5 mins with the salt.

Different from cleaning £12 semis and walking round all day salting everything.
-5c this morning so all entrance doors will be getting skipped that won't get any sun

-5c this morning so all entrance doors will be getting skipped that won't get any sun

Minus 2 here I'm just sat in van having a coffee going to start at half 9 and see if it freezes on the glass I've just about managed last couple of days but not been starting whilst late normally start at 8.

Minus 2 here I'm just sat in van having a coffee going to start at half 9 and see if it freezes on the glass I've just about managed last couple of days but not been starting whilst late normally start at 8.
My usual start is around 8.40am just pulled up at my first jobs, footpaths are completely iced over and it's - 3c sun is up so I'll plod but don't expect to complete a full day but it's better than sitting on my hands at home.

Well you sit at home being responsible and worrying what might happen and I'll crack on and earn some money.

As for being responsible for an accident I'm not so sure. I put water on the ground not ice I can't control the elements. Also it's winter just because there's ice on the ground doesn't mean you have to slip on it be more carefull. On top of that prove it.

Honestly I'm not any more worried about ice than I am about working in the rain.
I'm not staying at home, I'm cracking on responsibly ? or would be but today I've got a pre planned day off for an appointment, looks nice out there in the sun ?

My usual start is around 8.40am just pulled up at my first jobs, footpaths are completely iced over and it's - 3c sun is up so I'll plod but don't expect to complete a full day but it's better than sitting on my hands at home.

First 3 jobs were a nightmare but now sun's out so I'll crack on till about half 1 then go home

When it's like this I just accept I ain't going to earn as much as usual and just get on with doing a bit.

I could work later to compensate but starting at 10 ruins my motivation and I can't really be arsed, I like to be up early and get cracking nothing worse than pacing around waiting to start.

Its been a mixed bag today, fronts in the sun were fine. But in the shade at the back, even though ambient is 1-2c the ground was still sub-zero. Created nice instant ice rink at one house ?
Knowing the customers and the doors/access they normally use, there wasn't going to be a way to clean any of the houses following that one without creating an ice rink on their normal route to the door. So have raised the white flag and will go out again tomorrow when its meant to be a bit warmer. At least we have a bit more daylight in the late afternoon now!

-6 in van at 8 am pump was frozen even with immersion heater so couldn't redirect water on route done a contract trad then a day in the house

Its been a mixed bag today, fronts in the sun were fine. But in the shade at the back, even though ambient is 1-2c the ground was still sub-zero. Created nice instant ice rink at one house ?
Knowing the customers and the doors/access they normally use, there wasn't going to be a way to clean any of the houses following that one without creating an ice rink on their normal route to the door. So have raised the white flag and will go out again tomorrow when its meant to be a bit warmer. At least we have a bit more daylight in the late afternoon now!
I'm with you there. Picked and chose half a dozen jobs I could do without much salting to be done then ready for home time. Admin afternoon tax return, van insurance etc.

Nice in the sun but north facing icing up quickly. -1 air temp but the roads were -8 it was showing on BBC news this morning at a gritting depot in County Durham shows how much colder the ground gets and stays all day.

Tomorrow and especially Friday looks much better.

Back