Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Is it ok to do WFP cleaning in -2 my first winter doing it

WCF

Help Support WCF:

@Iron Giant jumped in his barrel to warm up when he got home I bet?
Had to jump in to cool down as our combi boiler wouldn't shut down so it was like a sauna when I got back as the heating had been on all morning thankfully got it fixed within 2hrs but only got half a day done yesterday because of this

I started at half nine, had my immersion on all night, so even though I was using warm/hottish water it was still freezing in the lower half of the glass.
Was your water freezing on the glass? ?
We had the hot water on recirculation for nearly 2 hours so the tank water was probably 20 degrees before we started to clean and then went through the heater so was quite warm.
We were doing a 4 floor new build block of flats and the water that had fallen from the floor above and splashed on the sills froze.
There was some outside balconies that froze after we cleaned them though.

Attachments

• 20240118_074918.jpg
    20240118_074918.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 14
Hi, I've installed an imersion heater in my van, unfortunately my hose reel has been freezing still, because of the advice on this post I recirculated the water through my hose reel and I've been able to work in - temperatures over the last few days, ? but I'm concerned the hot water (60/80 degrees) will damage my pump what's your thoughts?

Hi, I've installed an imersion heater in my van, unfortunately my hose reel has been freezing still, because of the advice on this post I recirculated the water through my hose reel and I've been able to work in - temperatures over the last few days, ? but I'm concerned the hot water (60/80 degrees) will damage my pump what's your thoughts?
Pumps will be fine we use water that temperature every day with re circulation and they last at least 7 years

If your pump is a Shurflo.

Shurflo specs are a maximum liquid temperature of 76 degrees C.

You should be able to adjust the temperature on the heating element to be on the safe side. I would.

Then put a single winter duvet over your reel.

Mine is mounted on top of my tank, I just use an oil filled rad overnight not had a single issue in freezing temperatures

Out yesterday with immersion hot water, about 55 deg in the tank.
Backs of houses in the shade and with their own ice rink after I left!
I saw each customer before starting and warned them and put a note on the slip through the door.
Customers who were out I left a warning tucked in the front door.
I’ve asked customers about salting / gritting and most declined.
Walked in on carpets and irritation to pets paws!
Personally I won’t be working that low again, that’s just me. I worried all night someone would slip. Kids open doors and go out, people forget my warnings etc.
Next day like that I’ll prospect and make up the missed cleans later.

hi mate, at those given temps, (i suspect that you have a wyedale tank) that would ruin the integrity of the tank so i'm told by someone who makes tanks for a living.
any more than 50c on those tanks weaken the walls over a substained period and should anything happen a cage around the tank would probably shatter it whether that would be life threatening i just don't know if i'm honest but, its something that you should be aware of in the future. these tanks are not really designed to withstand those temps and, are were not designed for window cleaning but, many use them as i have in the past and they do the job but just be carefull of the heat you are subjecting the tank to so you can be safe.

hi mate, at those given temps, (i suspect that you have a wyedale tank) that would ruin the integrity of the tank so i'm told by someone who makes tanks for a living.
any more than 50c on those tanks weaken the walls over a substained period and should anything happen a cage around the tank would probably shatter it whether that would be life threatening i just don't know if i'm honest but, its something that you should be aware of in the future. these tanks are not really designed to withstand those temps and, are were not designed for window cleaning but, many use them as i have in the past and they do the job but just be carefull of the heat you are subjecting the tank to so you can be safe.
I’ve often thought myself as the seems of the tank are right in the middle where it bows the most when full. I’ve never heated the water in my tank but as I’m di only filling straight from the tap I have tried filling in the morning straight from the hot water tap. At first it seemed to kill my resin but upon inspection of the produced water it always read above 0 on my tds meter but when the water cooled down it settled to 0. I wonder if the tds meters are not designed to read hot water although they do have temp gauge built in?

I’ve often thought myself as the seems of the tank are right in the middle where it bows the most when full. I’ve never heated the water in my tank but as I’m di only filling straight from the tap I have tried filling in the morning straight from the hot water tap. At first it seemed to kill my resin but upon inspection of the produced water it always read above 0 on my tds meter but when the water cooled down it settled to 0. I wonder if the tds meters are not designed to read hot water although they do have temp gauge built in?
Hot water will always give a tds reading but when it goes back to ambient temperature it will read 000 someone did explain why it gets a reading something to do with the speed the hot water molecules move at or something

PVC will distort / shrink at temperatures over 60°c so I have never understood how people's hoses / tanks don't suffer if their systems generate the temperatures they claim

PVC will distort / shrink at temperatures over 60°c so I have never understood how people's hoses / tanks don't suffer if their systems generate the temperatures they claim
I’ve always thought that. I know you can buy hot water hoses but wasn’t sure about the rest of our equipment

I wonder if everytime you heat the water it will always revert back to 0. Would be interesting to see what the readings are out of the brush for the ops that always use hot and if it effects the glass?

Back