Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

is my leaflet any good?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Yeah, I had a landline diverted to mob but got rid of it after only a few weeks. I think its pointless nowerdays esp if your a tradesman. People understand a mobile only as window cleaners dont have plush offices with reception staff to answer landline calls, so the calls would go to your home and then one of your family members might answer...mobile is fine.

As for the address on the flyer - its fine if you are doing local flyering, but if your branching out into more areas, people might think 'oh they're not local so I won't bother'.

@Gav Was reading your web site guide and a few things came into my head straight away that I needed to change on my site like making it simple and straight forwards. However Gav suggests heading your site pages with '[Area] Window Cleaners' and such like as the google spiders pick this up more easily. Trouble for me is trying to pick an area as my area is pretty big and I live near so many towns as Im on London boarder and I work across three counties. I guess Im just gonna head pages with my town name and target local customers.

Anyone else have similar issues?

My First flyer was a lot worse than that, with a mobile number like yourself, and it got me plenty of work. I agree with the previous poster who said drop the 10% off for first 50 customers. Maybe do 20% of first clean or something along those lines. If your are on your own, don't be afraid to use 'first person' in your flyers wording.

I think there can be advantages and disadvantages to both appearing like a professional company, and small one man band operation. Ultimately it comes down to perception. If you look like a small 'guy your pal knows' type, you may get plenty of calls, but struggle to get a decent price. Come across as super professional, and people might not call, thinking you will probably be expensive.

Either way represent who you are at now, and get the flyer out there, and the work will come.

I wish I had a copy of my old flyer to show you, you would laugh at it, but it did well for me at the time. Just printed on printer paper in back and white.

Here is a look at one of my flyers I have now.

View attachment 8674

I think there's far too much thought going on here into how the window cleaner is perceived by the potential customer. We're not talking about a major investment - and most people (in my experience) are willing to try out a relatively low-cost service (such as window cleaning) without bothering to do major background checks.

its been mentioned more than a few times 'oh your local, I like to see local guys doing well' etc..its an opening for sealing the deal!
There's always a danger with this kind of anecdote of overstating your case - I'm sure it happens (in fact, I know it happens) but often this kind of perception is self-reinforcing.

To give a comparative example - as a canvasser, I hate bungalows. How many times do I hear "It's a bungalow - I can easily clean the windows myself". So one day I did an experiment - I set my teams to work in two areas and assigned (and paid) a person to monitor them. One team was on houses, the other on bungalows. The results were far from the clear-cut experience I expected (from memory, about £170 from the bungalows, about £260 from the houses).

What was interesting was the way the canvassers thought they'd done that day. The "houses" team thought they'd done quite well - taking into account the amount they'd booked and the "prices given - they'll probably book later"; whereas the bungalows team thought they'd done really badly (they didn't consider the prices given out but not booked were worth a mention).

The point being that if you start with an idea (say, that "being local" helps you) then that's what you'll see - even if it has little bearing on the reality.

On the whole, I'd stick with the idea of making sure the flyer is clear about what it is you're offering - ie window cleaning. The rest of it is relatively unimportant.

Having said that - I like laddergarder's leaflet (although I'd have changed the column order - I'd have put the right hand bit on the left and vice versa, and there's a couple of trivial wording changes I'd have made).

Latest Posts

Back