Ladders And The Law

Discussion in 'Traditional Window Cleaning' started by CNS-southwest, Sep 6, 2012.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. CNS-southwest

CNS-southwest Grand Master

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to check, the legislation on ladders.

i have found this on hse website:

--------------

When can ladders be used?

Ladders can be used if after assessing the risks the use of more suitable work equipment is not justified because of the low risk and short duration.
    Short duration is taken to be between 15 and 30 minutes depending upon the task.
    Ladders can also be used for low risk work where there are features on the site that mean a ladder must be used.

---------------

does this mean that each job should take no longer than 30 minutes, or each window? or only 30minutes of every hour etc?

I was planning on using ladders so want to make sure i get it all right!

Advertisement
  2. rcproperty

rcproperty Hero

ladders are fine to use when used safely.

they say 30 minutes at one time max. but there are a lot of trades that use this over this amount of time.

you will be fine to use ladders all day for window cleaning

3. CNS-southwest

They only disadvantage I have is my weight lol. It's more than 15st but less than 20st ( part of the reason I want to do this, get a bit more in shape lol )

4. GMcleaning

GMcleaning Guru

as long as the ladders your using are rated for your weight you will be fine, and the 15-30 min part is per window, or per ladder set up/climb

5. rcproperty

rcproperty Hero

dont worry most trade ladders are rated upto 175kg (27 stone) after carrying ladders about you will soon get into shape! lol

6. daley

daley Banned

dont worry youl bonce no probs ,wot ther missing is for every job you shud have reisk asement and use ladder safty eqipment ,that wyy youl not beaberden to tax payers cos ul be safe ,best goWFP

7. CNS-southwest

I don't have the money for that.

We have someone that does our windows at work with a water feed pole and a canister plugged into the hose, honestly it's utter **** on our windows lol

8. CNS-southwest

I was going to get ladder mats and ladder mits. And do a risk assessment on each property ( do I need to do another risk assessment each time I do that 1 particular property)?

9. rcproperty

rcproperty Hero

its not the system its the user of it! bad results from wfp only means the user just dont know how to use the system or look after it.

10. rcproperty

rcproperty Hero

only one for each property, then that one will last a year, then you can review it and if nothing has changed then keep it the same!

Advertisement