Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Last 18 months have been hard.

WCF

Help Support WCF:

BigFoot

Not been on here a great deal was once on here every night learning, asking questions and chipping in where I could.  I started up 5/6 years ago and with advice hard work and sticking to it like the experienced business men on here told me I established a business that provided for my familys need, mission accomplished... Then storm Dennis hit we were flooded and relocated an hours drive from my patch, I didn't mind as the place is amazing but only anticipated being gone for 4/5 months max, 18 months gone and I'm knackered! Two hours extra a day travel especially winter rinsed me out.  I'll be moving back in a month or so to my house that is still being renovated my wife and I are project managing it after the company provided by insurance were cowboys and made more work For us (Alltrades avoid) following an altercation with them they said they'd no longer work at our property ( I saw red mist, enough said). Lost it again last week when a chav was using my private lane for his canteen rubbish everywhere, I don't like being angry no good for the heart! Looking forward to thing getting back to normal having a regular routine and less stress. Just a kitchen to fit two bathrooms a media wall snag jobs and the move to sort and I can be “Only a window cleaner” again. 

I'm looking forward to it!

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember your posting about all this at the time of the flooding , I know exactly what you have experienced as been out to a lot of flooding incidents over the years ,it’s very traumatic and takes many months to dry everything out and make a place liveable again . I hope you are now able to get back to normal it must have been a horrendous time for you and the family and with Covid on top of it all , well done for sticking with it and I hope things get back to normal for you ASAP . 

Hope you get things sorted soon, it's a hard knock life. My house was close to getting flooded when we had a lightening storm, lifting stuff up high, car n van stuck up a hill as drive flooded, thankfully didn't do damage. Neighbours around from me had to pump gallons of water from their foundations, but didn't get any damage. 

If it makes you feel a tad better, my work is over an hour away, so do 2 plus hours travelling a day, it's a pest, but can't afford a house where I work. 

Take care. 

Hope you get things sorted soon, it's a hard knock life. My house was close to getting flooded when we had a lightening storm, lifting stuff up high, car n van stuck up a hill as drive flooded, thankfully didn't do damage. Neighbours around from me had to pump gallons of water from their foundations, but didn't get any damage. 

If it makes you feel a tad better, my work is over an hour away, so do 2 plus hours travelling a day, it's a pest, but can't afford a house where I work. 

Take care. 
New appreciation for people that commute every day especially after a days physical work. The number of times especially in the dark winter I nearly nodded off on the motorway driving back! 

Won't be long and ill be back home, thank goodness!

Welcome back to the fold.
I remember when you got flooded out. I'm sure I'm not the only one who was wondering how you were doing. You've had a tough old time of it. Glad you're finally managing to get sorted.

Don't be a stranger. ⚓??

I remember your posting about all this at the time of the flooding , I know exactly what you have experienced as been out to a lot of flooding incidents over the years ,it’s very traumatic and takes many months to dry everything out and make a place liveable again . I hope you are now able to get back to normal it must have been a horrendous time for you and the family and with Covid on top of it all , well done for sticking with it and I hope things get back to normal for you ASAP . 
I can't lie it has been horrendous ? but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Looking forward to boring normal life...

Yep it's certainly a pest  a lot of wasted time, then you got to do all the normal stuff fill tank up when home etc. I like escaping where I live:) though. 

The next month will fly by and you'll get back to normal in no time I'm sure and things will be so much easier for you and your family that the stress will just drop away in days of been back home and settled 

You can go to one those secret raves to celebrate as well ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like you've been through the ringer but survived. The stress of it all must have been massive at times so not surprising you lost it a few times.

Hope you're life gets back to normal, whatever that is, soon. 
Thanks @Part Timer I'm looking forward to less stress for sure! If things were different I'd look to have a week or two in the sun to unwind If we have an indian summer I may camp near the river and get back to nature. Failing 5hat I've always got the winter cleaning windows to look forward to ? 

The next month will fly by and you'll get back to normal in no time I'm sure and things will be so much easier for you and your family that the stress will just drop away in days of been back home and settled 

You can go to one those secret raves to celebrate as well ?
Hope you are right!

They are filming in the secret rave areas atm. all of a sudden lots of productions, one of them was a childhood favourite the film Willow it's being done for a Netflix series and a Tom Hardy film don't know what its called.

Well done for sticking with it. That must have been so stressful sorting out your house. 

I am sure you will be so much relaxed when you move back.

I used to drive for just over an hour each way to work (round M25) for about 8 years and I remember the nodding off at the wheel moments!! You will wonder how the heck you did that after a few months back in your home.

You deserve a nice relax soon. Well done.

it must be awful getting flooded out......id move if i were you at the earliest opportunity as the chances are it will happen again...i bet you cant get house insurance now either.....?

it must be awful getting flooded out......id move if i were you at the earliest opportunity as the chances are it will happen again...i bet you cant get house insurance now either.....?
I hope it was a one off flood,  a huge oak tree half a mile away blew over and redirected a stream 90 degrees but with the heavy rain fall it was like a river it traveled half a mile trough fields and would have passed through my garden if I didn't have a solid stone wall as  it damed it and the easiest way for the water was through my house. So hopefully it won't happen again. 

At the moment my insurance is the same but I except it to increase. All told my claim is up to about 80-90,000 and increasing still they'll more off me I'm sure.

I hope it was a one off flood,  a huge oak tree half a mile away blew over and redirected a stream 90 degrees but with the heavy rain fall it was like a river it traveled half a mile trough fields and would have passed through my garden if I didn't have a solid stone wall as  it damed it and the easiest way for the water was through my house. So hopefully it won't happen again. 

At the moment my insurance is the same but I except it to increase. All told my claim is up to about 80-90,000 and increasing still they'll more off me I'm sure.
That's so unlucky. Most people wouldn't know if there is a stream within half a mile of their home.

Did you manage to design in some flood preventative measures? Maybe drill some 6" holes through the wall near bottom to allow water to flow through the garden. I am sure you have thought of all this a long time ago. 

Hope you get everything sorted to your liking and can return to normality soon.

Hope you are right!

They are filming in the secret rave areas atm. all of a sudden lots of productions, one of them was a childhood favourite the film Willow it's being done for a Netflix series and a Tom Hardy film don't know what its called.
Go and tell them you can be stunt double for Tom Hardy 

is there anything you can do to make your house watertight in case it happens again?good luck with moving back in mate

That's so unlucky. Most people wouldn't know if there is a stream within half a mile of their home.

Did you manage to design in some flood preventative measures? Maybe drill some 6" holes through the wall near bottom to allow water to flow through the garden. I am sure you have thought of all this a long time ago. 

Hope you get everything sorted to your liking and can return to normality soon.
Yep  two holes in the wall would have saved the property but it would have ruined my neighbours house so bit of a moral dilemma. Having said that 10 strategic placed sand bags would have guided the water on to the main road 

I have a plan that will prevent it I future but with the tree fallen and removed by the council shouldn't happen again.

@BigFoot just to put my best wishes in, I like you started on here around six’ish years ago and full of threads and putting my opinion in where I can.

Glad to hear you built a round that meets your needs, and whilst you are going through a hard time I know a few that are from my area that started around the same time we did and couldn’t build what they needed so always a positive is my motto.

I hope your house is sorted soon and you are all back to normal ASAP ??

Latest Posts

Back