Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Looking to start up using water fed pole

WCF

Help Support WCF:

GSM

Hi my name is Gavin,
I have been considering starting a window cleaning business for some time, and maybe also offering gutter cleaning.
I am currently employed in a sales role and have been for many years but have always wanted to work for myself and enjoy the outdoor life.
I have zero experience but eager to learn and if need be attend a course to get the basics.
I have around £8000 that I could use to get going, so would really appreciate any help and suggestions to get started.
One thing I don't have though is the possibility of a water system at home due to where I currently live, I understand though that you can purchase pure water from fill stations and there is one relatively near where I am.
I also would be looking at small combi van so I guess 350 litres would probably be my preferred size of container to start
Thanks in advance Gavin

The
Hi my name is Gavin,
I have been considering starting a window cleaning business for some time, and maybe also offering gutter cleaning.
I am currently employed in a sales role and have been for many years but have always wanted to work for myself and enjoy the outdoor life.
I have zero experience but eager to learn and if need be attend a course to get the basics.
I have around £8000 that I could use to get going, so would really appreciate any help and suggestions to get started.
One thing I don't have though is the possibility of a water system at home due to where I currently live, I understand though that you can purchase pure water from fill stations and there is one relatively near where I am.
I also would be looking at small combi van so I guess 350 litres would probably be my preferred size of container to start
Thanks in advance Gavin
The search option is your starting point

Hope it goes well for you Gavin! I started myself back in October from my car with a backpack I used a water genie one and an Ova 8 pole. You may want to get a couple of brushes, flocked for leaded windows for example. All in I spent about £1000 getting the different bits and spares. There is an abundance of information online, this forum and YouTube especially! I spent hours watching every video by A.E. Mackintosh and Squeaky Clean Dave, highly recommend those channels and they will lead you to many others on YouTube as well.

As very much still a learner myself, the community is great. Gone are the days of window cleaners ‘protecting their patch’ other window cleaners I’ve met have been really friendly and helpful whether online or in person. As Steve says above, get stuck into the search on the forum here, there’s some really useful advice out there!

Thanks, really appreciate the support. Can I ask do you collect your own water from a filling station, as this is something I would need to be working with,
Cheers Gavin

Thanks for reply.
My initial thoughts are looking at something in the lines of https://windowcleaningwarehouse.co.uk/products/facelift®-compact-425-starter-kit?variant=32250771931196
to get me up and running and then filling up when required as I don't have the facility to store water at home.
Is there anything further that you could advise I would require to get going, and may I ask a newbie question, when the tank is filled does the water require any further systems in place or I am ready to work, thanks in advance

I use a spotless filling station about 20mins from my house. It is I think, reasonably priced although it’s cheaper to produce your own if not on a water meter. I just view it as part of the cost of doing business. To all intents and purposes it’s like a petrol pump but for pure water ?

Unfortunately water meter and rented house, so filling station would be my best option, any idea of cost to fill a 425 tank ? :rolleyes:

Hi, by far the biggest issue you will have is getting the work.
The equipment/ water etc is the easy bit.

Depending on where you live , look forward to 1-3 years very hard graft to pick up the work. You’ll have to work out a way to support yourself while you’re building your round as well.
Also don’t forget cold winters and hot summers. Many can’t hack it.

Yes I understand its a gradual increase along with hard work, I am looking at a 6 month plan to support myself whilst I build the business.
I live in the south and very much enjoy the outdoors throughout the year, I have just turned 50 and would like the opportunity to do something for myself after working in a sales showroom for the last 20 years, I spend a my days of helping a few elderly people with there gardens and clean their windows regularly, so was looking to expand on this as most people around here are of an elderly age and retired.

A few things to consider. £8k isn't going to go far if you want a van and a system plus to support yourself for 6 months!

Remember that 425 litres of water equals 425Kg of water, plus tank weight, reel, leisure battery so you need a vehicle with a decent payload i.e. at absolute minimum 700kg payload. If you overload a vehicle then your insurance would be void, stopping distances would be a lot worse, not to mention the damage the vehicle will suffer.
Maybe you could start working out of your car with a backpack? Then you could work weekends and canvass/leaflet drop during the evenings. That way you could build up 2 days work while still at work. That gives you the opportunity to see how you like the job and how easy it is to gain customers.

You need a few 25lts barrels, a backpack (Gardiners is good), a trolley (The handy sac is good), a pole (Gardiners clx or slx height depends on local housing), brush (gardiners have good range), liability insurance, and a few other odds and sods and away you go. Practice on your own windows as much as you can, you need experience so friends neighbours etc.

Unfortunately water meter and rented house, so filling station would be my best option, any idea of cost to fill a 425 tank ? :rolleyes:
Most sites are 3.5p + VAT per litre so 425 litres would cost you £17.85 and depending where in the south you are you should gross around 80p a litre. Some of their newer sites are 4p plus VAT per litre so if you go on their site and click on your local one it will tell you the cost.

Welcome Gavin. What I would do is try and go out with another window cleaner for a day just to see whats involved before spending out on any equipment. I went on a course and to be honest I found it a waste of money. Where abouts are you based?

Hi I am based in Dorset, sounds good advice to maybe try and find someone near me who would be willing to show me the ropes to get a better real world feeling I guess you would say.

Most sites are 3.5p + VAT per litre so 425 litres would cost you £17.85 and depending where in the south you are you should gross around 80p a litre. Some of their newer sites are 4p plus VAT per litre so if you go on their site and click on your local one it will tell you the cost.
Thanks appreciate your input, learning a lot on here

look around Gumtree / Market place for rounds 4 sale/ Just click Window Cleaning in the search bars Someone local may be off loading there **** customers HaHa .
vans for sale from £1000 / £20,000. someone will be selling a cheap run around to get you going . or go buy one on Hp always sell a van if it dont work out

Latest Posts

Back