Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Minimum pricing

WCF

Help Support WCF:

if you are getting £40 / £50+ per hour thats great . better than some tradesmen . im happy with my takings. thats all that matters. Im actually increasing all my prices on my work now. well overdue. A few at first. Just because someone charges £7 where someone charges £15 for the same job who cares. It dosent mean you can get away with charging silly money . Especially if you work in an area wher it is saturated with windies its Competition.
Which one would you choose
I think the thing is, if you're on a good wage, say £1,500 per week, well if a window cleaner turns up at your door and asks if you want your windows cleaned for a fiver when you already have someone who does it for £15 and is very reliable and trust worthy, well I don't think someone on £6k+ per month will want to risk rocking the boat to save £10.

There are people out there on a lot of money and to them trust and reliability will be a bigger concern than the £5 or £10 saved.

I just can’t bring myself to quote £15 for two windows especially in the middle of my compact work. I’m not saying people wouldn’t pay it. I’m just saying I really need to sort my pricing out seeing what all you guys are making per week.

That is double the average weekly wage
A few years ago it was classed as a lot of money, but if you look at we as window cleaners are earning on average and how much it's increased in probably just the last 3 years, well I expect other sectors to have similar increases in pay. Someone somewhere is paying these high prices for everything, my gut feeling is that a lot of people are on a lot more money than what they're classing as average wages.

The other thing to note is the increase in minimum wages. It all has a knock on effect to what the top earners can charge for goods and services. Minimum wages are now around £21k per year, that's the poorest of society. So if you have a couple working full time on minimum wage, well their household income is £40k+, so even minimum wage is a lot compared to only a few years ago.

Around my areas everyone has Tesla's, new electric cars, the shops are absolutely rammed with people, pints in the posher bars are £5+, some are more like £6 now and they're full to the brim with people.

There's lots of money floating about in good areas, so I expect quite a few will be on over £60k these days and certainly £75k wouldn't surprise me. The work I see them having done and the cars, holidays etc, they would have to be on that sort of money to pay for it all.

I just can’t bring myself to quote £15 for two windows especially in the middle of my compact work. I’m not saying people wouldn’t pay it. I’m just saying I really need to sort my pricing out seeing what all you guys are making per week.
I know what you're saying, but it's best not to work out the price per window, it's just the cost of providing the service. For me if I had houses next to each other then I'd probably say £10 was more than fine, I've actually got a few like that where it's just two windows and a door that I do for £10. But if the market allows you to charge more then that's fine, seems crazy but that's how the markets of economics work.

I know what you're saying, but it's best not to work out the price per window, it's just the cost of providing the service. For me if I had houses next to each other then I'd probably say £10 was more than fine, I've actually got a few like that where it's just two windows and a door that I do for £10. But if the market allows you to charge more then that's fine, seems crazy but that's how the markets of economics work.
We use our minimum price to stop getting the one window and door enquiry’s it’s not viable as far as ime concerned but if they are prepared to pay the minimum price we will do it , but I always say you would probably be able to get a cheaper price else ware some will not pay it and I don’t blame them but some are happy to pay it it’s their choice.

Oh yeah no every credit. Personally I wouldn’t mind getting £15 for two windows myself. But in my area I just don’t think that’s doable as the average semi is still £12 -£15. But just looking at people’s average earnings and being as busy as I am I really should be making more. Going to have to really start whacking my prices up and not just by £2 to £3.

Minimum wages are now around £21k per year,
Based on a 38 hour week, no one nowadays appears to work a contracted 40 hours, the NMW is sub £19k. In April it goes up to nearly £21k. Also out of that £40k this lucky couple on NMW working all hours have tax, NI, an average rent of £1100 PCM, travelling expenses, £100+ a week for gas and electric, etc etc to pay so probably leaving themselves with circa £300 to buy their food and clothes. I doubt they're driving round in a Tesla or paying £5+ a pint.

Based on a 38 hour week, no one nowadays appears to work a contracted 40 hours, the NMW is sub £19k. In April it goes up to nearly £21k. Also out of that £40k this lucky couple on NMW working all hours have tax, NI, an average rent of £1100 PCM, travelling expenses, £100+ a week for gas and electric, etc etc to pay so probably leaving themselves with circa £300 to buy their food and clothes. I doubt they're driving round in a Tesla or paying £5+ a pint.

I don't think some people realise how hard it must be running a house on minimum wage. After bills are paid then cost to get to work and the food shop then there's not much left in the pot for them to treat themselfs. Some would get a fright when if they knew what Some people actually had left to live on etc. A big % of people in the country struggle. I'm sure I read it was something like 40% of the uk lives pay day to pay day with no funds left over. That was before energy bills went up.

A few years ago it was classed as a lot of money, but if you look at we as window cleaners are earning on average and how much it's increased in probably just the last 3 years, well I expect other sectors to have similar increases in pay. Someone somewhere is paying these high prices for everything, my gut feeling is that a lot of people are on a lot more money than what they're classing as average wages.

The other thing to note is the increase in minimum wages. It all has a knock on effect to what the top earners can charge for goods and services. Minimum wages are now around £21k per year, that's the poorest of society. So if you have a couple working full time on minimum wage, well their household income is £40k+, so even minimum wage is a lot compared to only a few years ago.

Around my areas everyone has Tesla's, new electric cars, the shops are absolutely rammed with people, pints in the posher bars are £5+, some are more like £6 now and they're full to the brim with people.

There's lots of money floating about in good areas, so I expect quite a few will be on over £60k these days and certainly £75k wouldn't surprise me. The work I see them having done and the cars, holidays etc, they would have to be on that sort of money to pay for it all.
That might be so, but in lots of areas people living in 2-3 bed terraced houses ain't earning that amount of money or driving a tesla unless they are in London or somewhere and a 2-3 bed terraced house is 750k upwards.

these days a 42k joint salary for a couple ain't much at all when you take into account the cost of rent or a mortgage along with the cost of food, this is why teachers and nurses are having to use food banks, for a childless couple they might be fine once they get kids into the mix they'll on their ars-es

That might be so, but in lots of areas people living in 2-3 bed terraced houses ain't earning that amount of money or driving a tesla unless they are in London or somewhere and a 2-3 bed terraced house is 750k upwards.

these days a 42k joint salary for a couple ain't much at all when you take into account the cost of rent or a mortgage along with the cost of food, this is why teachers and nurses are having to use food banks, for a childless couple they might be fine once they get kids into the mix they'll on their ars-es

Apart from people really well off, the disposable income people have left won't be much difference between people earning 30k a year to someone earning say 45k.

The person on 45k 9 times out of 10 will have a higher mortgage paymeant, has a better car so pays more there to etc. So actual money left over isn't as much of a difference as people would think.

Apart from people really well off, the disposable income people have left won't be much difference between people earning 30k a year to someone earning say 45k.

The person on 45k 9 times out of 10 will have a higher mortgage paymeant, has a better car so pays more there to etc. So actual money left over isn't as much of a difference as people would think.
Exactly this, also people for a very long time have wanted to keep up with the jones aka "all fur coat and no knickers" people riding around in flash motors will be leasing them but a high-end motor can be up to 1k a month all very nice but if they have nowt other than an outward flash appearance then it may all come crashing down

Oh yeah no every credit. Personally I wouldn’t mind getting £15 for two windows myself. But in my area I just don’t think that’s doable as the average semi is still £12 -£15. But just looking at people’s average earnings and being as busy as I am I really should be making more. Going to have to really start whacking my prices up and not just by £2 to £3.
Don’t believe everything you read on here mate. Some boast about their massive earnings yet come on here whinging when they lose a couple of through weather.

We use our minimum price to stop getting the one window and door enquiry’s it’s not viable as far as ime concerned but if they are prepared to pay the minimum price we will do it , but I always say you would probably be able to get a cheaper price else ware some will not pay it and I don’t blame them but some are happy to pay it it’s their choice.
I try not to take these ones on now. Almost without exception, when someone accepts a quote at my £15 minimum price or a higher price with travel time built in that has to be overpriced for the particular job and area to be worth it to me (e.g. local windy on the street already would be £6), they are happy at first at the quality job but they can't stomach paying over the odds long term and they rarely last 6 months before cancelling. It's a mess about so now I just say "sorry I'm not able to offer a reasonable quote for that job, you'd be better contacting someone who is in the area already".
It might just be harder around here in South Yorkshire. People in council estates are usually a little short on money (or used to be) and they all have a good sense almost to the £ how much the going rate is.

I don't think some people realise how hard it must be running a house on minimum wage. After bills are paid then cost to get to work and the food shop then there's not much left in the pot for them to treat themselfs. Some would get a fright when if they knew what Some people actually had left to live on etc. A big % of people in the country struggle. I'm sure I read it was something like 40% of the uk lives pay day to pay day with no funds left over. That was before energy bills went up.
I agree with this but again think that it depends ware you are in the country , we have some very deprived areas around hear we don’t work in them there are a lot of very wealthy people as well that theses price rises haven’t altered their spending habits at all in fact many are spending money hand over fist , we are picking up softwashing jobs and plastic cleans every week now not something that normally happens in January or February most start thinking about theses jobs in march-august , so there is no cutting back at the moment .

I think you misunderstand what I'm saying. What I'm saying is that if the poorest in society have more money, not disposable income after bills just more money to pay for bills, then those that charge those bills to them can charge them more because they've got more money. This then has a knock on effect to the higher earners who get more money as a result.

Believe me I know exactly what it's like living on minimum wages. Before I started the window cleaning I was doing contract office cleaning for 3 different employers and most of it was minimum wage, my rent at the time was £675, council tax just over £100, then had gas / electric about £60 at the time, water £40, mobile phone £10 broadband at £35, van insurance, life insurance etc. I basically ended up with about £150 to £200 per month to buy food, haircuts, clothes, dentist bills etc. So I know exactly what it's like. I used to cycle 10 miles to all the jobs to save myself £15 per week on fuel for the van. I had to budget all the money to the last pound weeks in advance because if I overspent there would be no way of catching up because I was earning as much as I could earn. I didn't mind it though, I just looked at it as a challenge and enjoyed what I could at the time and looked at it as a lesson in life. It's taught me well as now I have higher income I still don't waste it, my food bill is still only about £25 per week.

But yeah going back to what I was saying, if people at the lower end of the scale are earning more money then that has a knock on effect to the price of everything, it inflates the prices.

2 to 3 bed terraced houses around my way are £300k + Just depends on your area, but to afford to pay those sort of prices they have to be on good money. It has to come from somewhere.

I agree with this but again think that it depends ware you are in the country , we have some very deprived areas around hear we don’t work in them there are a lot of very wealthy people as well that theses price rises haven’t altered their spending habits at all in fact many are spending money hand over fist , we are picking up softwashing jobs and plastic cleans every week now not something that normally happens in January or February most start thinking about theses jobs in march-august , so there is no cutting back at the moment .

I don't agree with the media saying everyone's struggling either, energy prices have went up far enough for it to be noticible for people though who's usually comfortable. One of my customers is paying £760 a month she said. I think people will cut back on a holiday or if they do go away they will compromise and have a cheaper holiday.

Next year I'm going to do an inflation calculator and see the difference from where it was 10 years ago, I put them up last year and don't usually put them up as soon as 2 years, if any is below what the inflation growth is though they are getting put up to be level with it.

2 to 3 bed terraced houses around my way are £300k + Just depends on your area, but to afford to pay those sort of prices they have to be on good money. It has to come from somewhere.

2 people on around 28k a year would be approved for a 300k mortgage, alot of people are good with money and could make that work, to the outside world your thinking they must have a few quid, in reality they have less disposable cash than alot of people in council houses . Alot of people see it as retirement saving now aswell,

I think you misunderstand what I'm saying. What I'm saying is that if the poorest in society have more money, not disposable income after bills just more money to pay for bills, then those that charge those bills to them can charge them more because they've got more money. This then has a knock on effect to the higher earners who get more money as a result.

Believe me I know exactly what it's like living on minimum wages. Before I started the window cleaning I was doing contract office cleaning for 3 different employers and most of it was minimum wage, my rent at the time was £675, council tax just over £100, then had gas / electric about £60 at the time, water £40, mobile phone £10 broadband at £35, van insurance, life insurance etc. I basically ended up with about £150 to £200 per month to buy food, haircuts, clothes, dentist bills etc. So I know exactly what it's like. I used to cycle 10 miles to all the jobs to save myself £15 per week on fuel for the van. I had to budget all the money to the last pound weeks in advance because if I overspent there would be no way of catching up because I was earning as much as I could earn. I didn't mind it though, I just looked at it as a challenge and enjoyed what I could at the time and looked at it as a lesson in life. It's taught me well as now I have higher income I still don't waste it, my food bill is still only about £25 per week.

But yeah going back to what I was saying, if people at the lower end of the scale are earning more money then that has a knock on effect to the price of everything, it inflates the prices.
Jesus christ man! how on earth do you manage to spend only 25 on food each week? you must eat like a sparrow! :ROFLMAO:

Jesus christ man! how on earth do you manage to spend only 25 on food each week? you must eat like a sparrow! :ROFLMAO:
The 2 of us only spend £60 a week. We might have a pub meal or a takeaway a week as well. I feel we eat reasonably well, noting flashy but decent meals. I would say we have zero food waste though!
It's about planning what you are going to eat and just just buying stuff that you may or may not eat. Everyone shops differently but eating on a budget isn't that tricky.

Latest Posts

Back