Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

My windows are okay this month ?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

This is true. It's their debt that is building up. This is before Covid and we found back then that the majority of our older customers insisted that they paid by cash and we collect.

It just seems that this was always the tradition in our area. Our window cleaner always came around on a Friday night to collect from us before I ventured into window cleaning myself.

Friday night was the night that the milkman collected, the wheelie bin men collected and ourselves. We would often cross paths.

When we didn't collect from them it became our fault.

We still have a few who won't do internet banking. So it's either we collect from them or we drop them.
I still collect cash but only leave it two months or it becomes a headache for them and us. You slowly understand what process works and then standby it.

This is true. It's their debt that is building up. This is before Covid and we found back then that the majority of our older customers insisted that they paid by cash and we collect.

It just seems that this was always the tradition in our area. Our window cleaner always came around on a Friday night to collect from us before I ventured into window cleaning myself.

Friday night was the night that the milkman collected, the wheelie bin men collected and ourselves. We would often cross paths.

When we didn't collect from them it became our fault.

We still have a few who won't do internet banking. So it's either we collect from them or we drop them.
I hear what you are saying spruce but times have changed I don’t know a single window cleaner who goes collecting , I haven’t for must be 10 years or so now , if they want to pay cash on the day that’s fine but I won’t go back to collect it it’s not cost effective and I have much better things to do with my time , I do have a few customers that I have had for many many years and dont mind if they build up a bit of a bill as I know they will pay up and probably pay  several cleans in advance when I do see them . I also have quite a few customers that live abroad and have second homes/holiday homes hear they pay 12 months in advance but some limes it takes a couple of months or so for them to pay up after the urea is up but again know that getting paid won’t be a problem they will just pay 14,15 months or what ever in one hit . Any that are problem payers  are instantly dropped as we have so much demand and are in the lucky position of being able to pick and choose who we will do work for and who we won’t . 

I hear what you are saying spruce but times have changed I don’t know a single window cleaner who goes collecting , I haven’t for must be 10 years or so now , if they want to pay cash on the day that’s fine but I won’t go back to collect it it’s not cost effective and I have much better things to do with my time , I do have a few customers that I have had for many many years and dont mind if they build up a bit of a bill as I know they will pay up and probably pay  several cleans in advance when I do see them . I also have quite a few customers that live abroad and have second homes/holiday homes hear they pay 12 months in advance but some limes it takes a couple of months or so for them to pay up after the urea is up but again know that getting paid won’t be a problem they will just pay 14,15 months or what ever in one hit . Any that are problem payers  are instantly dropped as we have so much demand and are in the lucky position of being able to pick and choose who we will do work for and who we won’t . 
I had a custy that spent 6 months in Thailand and paid a windy in advance to clean his windows when he was away. When he came home his windows were filthy.

I did a deal so when he messaged me when he was going to be home I cleaned them before he arrived. The first time he paid me for all of the next 6 washes upfront and I hated it because everytime I did them I never got paid

I had a custy that spent 6 months in Thailand and paid a windy in advance to clean his windows when he was away. When he came home his windows were filthy.

I did a deal so when he messaged me when he was going to be home I cleaned them before he arrived. The first time he paid me for all of the next 6 washes upfront and I hated it because everytime I did them I never got paid
We have a customer who lives in Canada. She does the same. Probably done that house for around 10 years now.

@Pjj I understand that with a large round and employing staff who get through high volumes of cleans, you can't offer a collection service as well.

We do clean a couple of holiday homes but a large percentage of our customers are retired. The 'younger' ones do pay via Bacs these days anyway.

I guess every round is different. These days we don't collect every Friday like we did before. Whenever we do, we often come across other window cleaners doing the same, even today.

Now any new customers pay via the internet. I don't offer a collection service any longer. But I can dictate that as our round is full. I'm not sure a new cleaner trying to grow his customer base can be so dictatorial though.

I handed over a large chunk of work to another husband and wife team some 5 or 6 years ago.  Virtually most of those customers were collections.  She managed to change around 50% of then onto Bacs at the first clean. This surprised me as I had tried earlier when the Bacs was little used and most of them refused. Maybe it was the distrust of the Yorkshireman with a foreigner that was the reason, or perhaps the newness of internet banking, I don't know.

COVID has definitely worked in our favour as well with regard to internet banking.

Last edited by a moderator:
We have a customer who lives in Canada. She does the same. Probably done that house for around 10 years now.

@Pjj I understand that with a large round and employing staff who get through high volumes of cleans, you can't offer a collection service as well.

We do clean a couple of holiday homes but a large percentage of our customers are retired. The 'younger' ones do pay via Bacs these days anyway.

I guess every round is different. These days we don't collect every Friday like we did before. Whenever we do, we often come across other window cleaners doing the same, even today.

Now any new customers pay via the internet. I don't offer a collection service any longer. But I can dictate that as our round is full. I'm not sure a new cleaner trying to grow his customer base can be so dictatorial though.

I handed over a large chunk of work to another husband and wife team some 5 or 6 years ago.  Virtually most of those customers were collections.  She managed to change around 50% of then onto Bacs at the first clean. This surprised me as I had tried earlier when the Bacs was little used and most of them refused. Maybe it was the distrust of the Yorkshireman with a foreigner that was the reason, or perhaps the newness of internet banking, I don't know.

COVID has definitely worked in our favour as well with regard to internet banking.
Yes I understand what you are saying I. Collected twice a week when I started , but soon realised this was a mugs game you go and clean the windows then have to go back and collect, all for at the time £4.50  a house !!!! Shear madness , knowing what I know now I would advice any new starter not to offer collection it’s pay on the day , cheque in the post or BACS  now elderly ones ime happy for the bill to mount up a bit and get paid when I see them but that’s it , again I think this is all part of setting your  stall out  at quoting stage but you only learn this as you get going there was no forum back then to learn from others . 

When the increased power bills start falling on the door mats I think quite a few people will start putting up with "messers" in their "business models". We are all going to see the effects.

A messer is a messer and will be instantly dumped regardless 
Your criteria and others for messer may alter in the coming months. We are probably going into a volatile time. If so. and we want money to keep coming in and in some cases keep our business operating we will not be culling like we used to....and why did we cull?.

Your criteria and others for messer may alter in the coming months. We are probably going into a volatile time. If so. and we want money to keep coming in and in some cases keep our business operating we will not be culling like we used to....and why did we cull?.
My criteria will not alter  if the customer doesn’t stick to the agreed  cleaning schedule, bad payer etc they will be dumped , I could easily get rid of 90% of my work and still be more than ok . 

I have culled 5 this month as 3 are bad payers and the other 2 are mon-sat 8-6 restrictions with no parking and on sunday's the roads full up so their gone.

As i had motor issues at the start of the month i canvassed and got alot in so the 5 is under 10% of new customers gained.

My criteria will not alter  if the customer doesn’t stick to the agreed  cleaning schedule, bad payer etc they will be dumped , I could easily get rid of 90% of my work and still be more than ok . 
Yes, but you are an exception to the rule. Most on here would not be earning a decent living being self employed if they lost lets say 25% of their customers. Often in tough times you have to be pragmatic to keep your business going, Having your windows cleaned on a regular basis is not the highest on customers essentials list. And you do not need to have too many £15 from your weekly earnings to make a noticeable difference to your earnings.

Yes, but you are an exception to the rule. Most on here would not be earning a decent living being self employed if they lost lets say 25% of their customers. Often in tough times you have to be pragmatic to keep your business going, Having your windows cleaned on a regular basis is not the highest on customers essentials list. And you do not need to have too many £15 from your weekly earnings to make a noticeable difference to your earnings.
I hear what you are saying , my wife said exactly the  same in the last recession but the opposite proved true ones said they would cut back in other areas but had to have clean windows , absolutely  ridiculous but that’s what happens , I know ime lucky  most of my customer base arnt short of money   And arnt likely to be affected to much by bills rising , at this time there is certainly no sign of work drying up  we are already booking add on jobs for June/July demand is that high , things might change but I doubt it . 

If Pjj got rid of 90% of his work he would still be ok with the remaining 450 customers. He'd possibly have to lay his 5 staff off and sell 2 vans though? It would make for a less stressful life imo.
Yes this is exactly what I intend to do  been saying it for a few years now , covid. Prevented it from happening before but things are in place to hopefully down size either in 2023-2024  . The guys that work for me are going to have the rounds that they do and buy the vans as well so this helps them out and me as it’s virtually impossible to sell work down hear as it’s so easy to pick it up ones would rather build their own rounds rather than buy one . 

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't leave more than a week before chasing payments, not so much because I'm desperate for the money, but because I really can't be bothered to keep a record going back several weeks of what's due. I check who hasn't paid from the previous week, send them a reminder text, and they pay. 

I hate it when customers pay in advance. I don't feel motivated when I'm cleaning their windows. ?

In reply to @Davidpatrick1978 and his original post here, are the customers who are cancelling at the moment established customers who are usually regular, or new customers? If the former, maybe give them a break this time. You want to pay your mortgage but so do they. 

I don't leave more than a week before chasing payments, not so much because I'm desperate for the money, but because I really can't be bothered to keep a record going back several weeks of what's due. I check who hasn't paid from the previous week, send them a reminder text, and they pay. 

I hate it when customers pay in advance. I don't feel motivated when I'm cleaning their windows. ?

In reply to @Davidpatrick1978 and his original post here, are the customers who are cancelling at the moment established customers who are usually regular, or new customers? If the former, maybe give them a break this time. You want to pay your mortgage but so do they. 
So you destroy records of your debts if they don't pay within a week or two?something doesn't add up mate....

As for cleaning windows for a customer that has paid in advance it doesn't bother me one bit!why would it?I've been paid!

So you destroy records of your debts if they don't pay within a week or two?something doesn't add up mate....

As for cleaning windows for a customer that has paid in advance it doesn't bother me one bit!why would it?I've been paid!
Hi @dazmond

What I meant was I've made sure that all my customers pay within one week, so that I don't have to keep track of what's owed. 

Regarding payment upfront, I just find I lose some motivation. I think, great, I'm going to get x amount today for this job, but then realise, no, they've paid already. I appreciate everyone's different. 

Hi @dazmond

What I meant was I've made sure that all my customers pay within one week, so that I don't have to keep track of what's owed. 

Regarding payment upfront, I just find I lose some motivation. I think, great, I'm going to get x amount today for this job, but then realise, no, they've paid already. I appreciate everyone's different. 
My son also looses motivation when he has to clean a prepaid customer's house.

I look at it differently. I'm more interested in the turnover we achieved on that particular day. So it doesn't matter if a house we clean has been prepaid or not. At the tail end of the day, all the debts will be squared off. Occasionally, we might have to write a debt off, but that's not very often.

At the end of the day the computer generates a report of turnover and payments received in cash, BACs, etc. The first thing I look at is turnover, then the cash received as I need to balance up with my float and then check my bank account for any BACs payments to strike off the debt list.

Latest Posts

Back