Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

My windows are okay this month ?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Davidpatrick1978

Hi guys david here I’ve been noticing quite a few customers now saying to me my windows are okay this month there still very clean and looking nice can we leave it this month ummmm

im not daft it’s January everyone is skint we know or a few now saying Il have them done every 8 weeks which is okay out of 92 customers I have around 7 now are 8 weeks 

i don’t want any more 8 week customers I just want to stick to monthly customers to pay me mortgage bills ect 8 weeks is not going to make my work pay 

still getting customers through the door still and I know come March the work will go crazy with people coming out of hibernation and coming out of there caves but I want a good solid round what do u guys do in circumstances like this I’ve sacked a couple of bad payers off and not scared to do now I’m in control of my business just need help in theses little areas to tidy things up

I send a reminder text to 80% of my customers and only ever get people asking to skip for very genuine reasons, and that's few and far between. It just comes with time. Over time you will train your customers and sift out the ones who aren't for you. 

Hi guys david here I’ve been noticing quite a few customers now saying to me my windows are okay this month there still very clean and looking nice can we leave it this month ummmm

im not daft it’s January everyone is skint we know or a few now saying Il have them done every 8 weeks which is okay out of 92 customers I have around 7 now are 8 weeks 

i don’t want any more 8 week customers I just want to stick to monthly customers to pay me mortgage bills ect 8 weeks is not going to make my work pay 

still getting customers through the door still and I know come March the work will go crazy with people coming out of hibernation and coming out of there caves but I want a good solid round what do u guys do in circumstances like this I’ve sacked a couple of bad payers off and not scared to do now I’m in control of my business just need help in theses little areas to tidy things up
As I've mentioned before.

When you initially meet your customer for the first time and discuss your services push forward the point of your terms of service, payment deadlines and methods along with cancellation of service & recleans.

I personally just tell the customer you've increased your pricing and wave good bye

Customers that mess you around are a complete waste of time and effort

Unless you are desperate keep them or sign up new customers simple 

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve found putting flaky customers on Gocardles but on an automated set date a useful way of managing this. If they say not this month just let them know they have already effectively payed you. ( a bit like a standing order) 

you’d be surprised how quickly they change their minds and want them cleaned ? 

You need to dump messers. Some genuinely forget to pay, and may need a nudge. Starting out, you are always going to pick up messers, that's why they don't have a window cleaner! Don't be hasty with anyone going 8 weekly, some of my best customers are 8 weekly, and I charge a bit more... Starting out I had messers, the longer you're in this game, the less you get! I have a face that says "don't mess me about" ?

Most of mine are 8 weekly, just suggest if anyone wants to miss a month they move on to the 8 weekly and the new price is x pounds more.

I am about 25-30% more for 8 weekly and it wins hands down here.

You need to dump messers. Some genuinely forget to pay, and may need a nudge. Starting out, you are always going to pick up messers, that's why they don't have a window cleaner! Don't be hasty with anyone going 8 weekly, some of my best customers are 8 weekly, and I charge a bit more... Starting out I had messers, the longer you're in this game, the less you get! I have a face that says "don't mess me about" ?
Lol love the face 

As has already been said set your stall out fri. The start we work all year round in all weathers within reason and it’s every xx weeks for ££ if they say not today they look clean that’s not an acceptable reason , we don’t get them anymore or very rarely as I tell them from the off they are agreeing to a regular 4 weekly service if the hesitate I dint take them on , I did get this when I started ones would agree to the monthly clean then when it was done say we will call you when we want them done again as a newby it’s difficult to stand your ground but just be straight with them , once they are dumped we never go back . 

Are they messers? Or just skint because it's post-Xmas?

If they mess you about in other ways get rid of them, but if it's a one-off it's fair enough. Some people are under a lot of pressure financially and window cleaning is not top of their priorities.

You're self employed so inevitably you're going to have issues now and then with payments. But if I were you I wouldn't be in too much of a hurry to dump anyone until they've shown themselves to be grief and messing you about again. You also can't expect to have all 4 weekly / monthly customers and wanting them done 8 weekly is perfectly reasonable

Are they messers? Or just skint because it's post-Xmas?

If they mess you about in other ways get rid of them, but if it's a one-off it's fair enough. Some people are under a lot of pressure financially and window cleaning is not top of their priorities.

You're self employed so inevitably you're going to have issues now and then with payments. But if I were you I wouldn't be in too much of a hurry to dump anyone until they've shown themselves to be grief and messing you about again. You also can't expect to have all 4 weekly / monthly customers and wanting them done 8 weekly is perfectly reasonable
I hear what you are saying but it’s his business and he’s trying to build a monthly service so he can choose what work he takes on , I do agree provided you have all the work in that same areas that you work in if doing 4 weekly you just miss a house this time and do it next time as an 8 weekly that’s fine , we do have some 8 weekly but most hear ask for 4 weekly that’s what I push for . If ones are skint due to Christmas then they arnt the type of customers I want on my books as things are far to tight and they are having a service that they cannot afford and sooner or later will cancel. 

I hear what you are saying but it’s his business and he’s trying to build a monthly service so he can choose what work he takes on , I do agree provided you have all the work in that same areas that you work in if doing 4 weekly you just miss a house this time and do it next time as an 8 weekly that’s fine , we do have some 8 weekly but most hear ask for 4 weekly that’s what I push for . If ones are skint due to Christmas then they arnt the type of customers I want on my books as things are far to tight and they are having a service that they cannot afford and sooner or later will cancel. 
I'm noticing that on some new build houses I have picked up. Okay at the start then cancel after a few cleans. With the price of heating who can blame them.

When you say quite a few. I'm guessing towards 10 jobs, if they are 8 weekly they'd be getting told there will be an extra charge of say 50% of the price because of the long period that it would be between cleans.

I don't offer up a 8 weekly service I only provide a price for a different frequency if asked.

Woukd you rather they had the clean then stiffed you for the payment?

Personally i dont care if some skip every now and again, means i get home a bit earlier. I know its easy to say that once established and with a very healthy customer base, but you have to understand, we are a luxury that people treat themselves to rather than a necessary service that people have to have.

Once your fully established you wont be so bothered, my advice is just roll with it until you are then decide dump or keep.

After sending my reminder last night to 36 customers today ive had 2 replies that both want to skip because theyre skint from xmas, ones a single mum and ones a family with 4 kids in a 3bed semi.

Im cleaning their neighbours anyway so we will clean them and just tell them to have it on us, its nice to be in a position to help people every now and again

If you need the money to pay the mortgage, then dumping a customer because they cancel occasionally is just plain stupid. 
£20 house-cancels twice a year on a 4 weekly clean = £220 at the end of the year. 
£20 house dumped = £0.00 at the end of the year. 
By all means dump a deliberate bad payer, or someone who is really rude , or maybe dog poo problems . 
But anything else whilst your building , just suck it up. 
The time for refining is when your full. 
When you have 400 customers it doesn’t matter, when you have less than 100, everyone is precious.

By the way now I’m full , I prefer every other cleans. More money for almost no extra time. 

If you need the money to pay the mortgage, then dumping a customer because they cancel occasionally is just plain stupid. 
£20 house-cancels twice a year on a 4 weekly clean = £220 at the end of the year. 
By all means dump a deliberate bad payer, or someone who is really rude , or maybe dog poo problems . 
When you have 400 customers it doesn’t matter, when you have less than 100, everyone is precious.

By the way now I’m full , I prefer every other cleans. More money for almost no extra time. 
Very, very sound advice for you David Patrick. Use it!! You could print that off on a piece of paper, and use it for motivation, and keep it in the van....

How long do you allow customers to pay??

How long did it take to get a full round? 

How long did it take to get a full round? 
I’ve done it twice. 
The first time in the early 90s , it was fairly quick as there weren’t that many cleaners about. About a year of hard work to earn a living, after that it just drifted up. 

The second time, I started with 4 days work. I brought another 5 days, and canvassed the rest, it took about 18 months. 
It all depends on how hard you work to get customers, and how saturated your area is with window cleaners. 
In most places it’s a bit of a slog. 

How long do you allow customers to pay??
It varies. If I'm not sure about a customer, I'll never clean them twice without payment. You'll get a hunch and think I'll keep an eye on this one. It comes down to experience. I got a new young one a few months ago on a new build. I saw her picture on Facebook and knew I wouldn't get paid. I gave her a nudge, and nothing. I'm not going to bother, it's a waste of time....

I’ve done it twice. 
The first time in the early 90s , it was fairly quick as there weren’t that many cleaners about. About a year of hard work to earn a living, after that it just drifted up. 

The second time, I started with 4 days work. I brought another 5 days, and canvassed the rest, it took about 18 months. 
It all depends on how hard you work to get customers, and how saturated your area is with window cleaners. 
In most places it’s a bit of a slog. 
So it took you 18 months to get to 50k a year?that's some going.well done....its took me 29 years to get to that turnover...

Latest Posts

Back