Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Nature

WCF

Help Support WCF:

We are infested with Ringneck parakeets down here. They are lime green and are taking over the indigenous species.
Last year I could here this horrendous noise. When I looked up, around 7 of them were attacking a massive heron in mid flight!

I also now have a mole in my garden ???

Attachments

• B0830B9B-F2DD-4E96-ADA7-EF3F5D456A9C.jpeg
    B0830B9B-F2DD-4E96-ADA7-EF3F5D456A9C.jpeg
    131.1 KB · Views: 16
Not on my rounds, but last week had to pick up a dead a pigeon off our lawn after it had been ripped to bits by a sparrow hawk all the meat and organs had been ripped out of it and eaten

That looks to be a kestrel as well, that’s incredibly rare to see them take something as big as a blackbird. Did you see it actually take the blackbird? And was it successful in making the kill?

Yes that’s what I thought it was heard a noise and it had just happened it was successful went into next door garden with it

Kestrel adult male bird much smaller than a female kestrel normally takes mice and insects as mentioned don’t normally take a bird as large as a blackbird probably a young blackbird.
a Female kestrel I owned as a child once took a young blackbird Red letter day for me.

Often see the Female Sparrowhawks around here taking wood pigeon and collar doves.

My parents have feeders out for the birds and the sparrowhawk catching something is almost a weekly occurrence. I once saw one finishing off a magpie it had nailed, and another time the dog scared some Teal out of a ditch and a sparrow hawk caught one.

My parents have feeders out for the birds and the sparrowhawk catching something is almost a weekly occurrence. I once saw one finishing off a magpie it had nailed, and another time the dog scared some Teal out of a ditch and a sparrow hawk caught one.
Be a young magpie adult magpies are tough quarry, sparrowhawk suffer with sticky feet couldn’t let go one of mine took a moorhen once which was on the side of a pond and dragged the sparrowhawk into the edge of the water could have drown if I didn’t intervene.
ospreys suffer with sticky feet and can drown when catching extremely heavy gtgey can’t let go.

Loved this film ? just always had birds of prey and British finches until the last few years just too busy for them now.
I was surprised by the year 1970, I remember watching it maybe in my teens so a good few years after it's release date I have read the book as well enjoyed both a lot.

Read the book in first year secondary school few weeks later I was flying my first Kestrel couldn’t imagine chasing a falcon nowadays all over the countryside be out of breathe in seconds lol

Read the book in first year secondary school few weeks later I was flying my first Kestrel couldn’t imagine chasing a falcon nowadays all over the countryside be out of breathe in seconds lol
I'll stick with dogs my little lurcher is fast but she'll stop dead and come back on whistles as she knows what is expected of her.

A few yew years back I was doing a bit of collecting on he edge of town after dark when I walked into a customers garden to be confronted with a badger smack in the middle of her lawn. It stood like a statue for several seconds before wandering off into the shadows. The following month when I visited I approached more carefully in the hope of seeing it again and this time came across a whole family of them in the garden. They were quite unflustered and after a few moments all shuffled off unhurried. I never saw them again after that which was a shame. But I'll always remember it.
The same estate also had a resident male peacock for a number of years. He was a magnificent bird and it was like a little treat very month when I used to work the estate wondering just where I would come across him. He was seldom missing.

Back