Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Never seen this before

WCF

Help Support WCF:

1 hour ago, ched999uk said:

Video for anyone else:

Looks a great idea but would need some sort of pole lock, I wonder why they didn't market it?

What a waste of money. When Karen drives into the back of you at the traffic lights because she's on her phone your pole is smashed to pieces. 

The hose reel is a simple build with an acme thread and ball screw with tig welded spool loop.

Next they will be doing hoseless waterless Bluetooth 5.1 wfp systems which don't use hose haha ? 

What a waste of money. When Karen drives into the back of you at the traffic lights because she's on her phone your pole is smashed to pieces. 

The hose reel is a simple build with an acme thread and ball screw with tig welded spool loop.

Next they will be doing hoseless waterless Bluetooth 5.1 wfp systems which don't use hose haha ? 
Not a problem if it was an slx pole the insurance claim will be an extream ??????

There is van round my way it looks like they have some drain pipe attached to the back doors and poles are placed inside. 

stop stealing my ideas ???

There is van round my way it looks like they have some drain pipe attached to the back doors and poles are placed inside. 
I saw one a few months ago advertised on ebay with a 4" hole in back door. Advert said he slid brush through hole so made cleaning faster as no need to open doors!!!!! Round here the brush would be nicked as soon as you stopped at lights ?

A spooling hose reel,surely thats better isnt it or are you guys so adebt at standing there with a cloth in your hand that it dosent interest you.Iam really interested in yours techniques because i use a manual reel since starting 2 or 3 years ago wfp  yes it heavy liftin in and  out,and a work out reeling in,but when i attended a couple of window cleaning shows and  met waterworks ,pulling out through hose guides i found a bit stiff ,and if there are obsticalls corners of houses/car tyres etc you have to pull a lot out before your clear.at least with a pull out manual,you can place in such away to get a clear run walk it back 3 or 4 metres and connect to water source reeling in just the same.With a power reel [static] youve still got those house corners/car tyres etc i bet you have to walk backwards and forwards to guide your hose past all thease objects dont you?When i saw original waterworks on utube with Jordan and key fob round his neck walkin behind hose as it reeled back  in i was very impressed but a spooling reel at that time wasnt available so i held back again now iam interested but like i said i would be interested in your opinions as to why your power ups are better than my manual like i said it felt like quite an amount of effort pulling through hose guides.

Not sure though about leaving your pole ont back of wagon,when you go to cafe! cheers

@Diamond geezer The speed of reeling in and the energy saved over the course of a day make an electric reel a no brainer.

If you are still lifting a reel in and out one day you are going to knacker your back, it might not be this year, it might not be next, but almost certainly it's going to happen.

I always thought electric reels were a luxury and only wimps or show offs had them , but getting older I started finding it harder reeling in all the time , so decided to get one to try , never looked back one of the best decisions I have made we now have them in all vans , makes life so much easier , I would thoroughly recommend them , we do still have free standing reels on all vans for some jobs , but try not to use them . 

If there are a load of obstacles and you need for example 20m of hose to get to the furthest window, just walk down the street and pull of 20m of hose in a straight line and then walk back and pick up the hose every five meters and then just drop sections around the obstacles on the way to the furthest window. 

If there are a load of obstacles and you need for example 20m of hose to get to the furthest window, just walk down the street and pull of 20m of hose in a straight line and then walk back and pick up the hose every five meters and then just drop sections around the obstacles on the way to the furthest window. 
This is what we do , if needing to go 40 meters in front of the van either walk 40 meters behind it pulling hose out then walk in front of van or pull off enough those in loops behind the van and drag the loops dropping them as you go forward , sounds complicated but easy in practice . 

I was thinking, when I get a van, to mark the hose with say a few wraps of black tape at 10m intervals and then work out for each job how much hose I would need (subject to where I can park) and have that as a note on each customer. So I don't have to remember how much hose I need out on each job, it would just be a guide. Hopefully then I can lock the van doors 'on the hose' (with a little tweaking of the door seal).

I currently have what pole size is needed on each job so it's easy to spot when I have a 'bungalow day' ? 

I was thinking, when I get a van, to mark the hose with say a few wraps of black tape at 10m intervals and then work out for each job how much hose I would need (subject to where I can park) and have that as a note on each customer. So I don't have to remember how much hose I need out on each job, it would just be a guide. Hopefully then I can lock the van doors 'on the hose' (with a little tweaking of the door seal).

I currently have what pole size is needed on each job so it's easy to spot when I have a 'bungalow day' ? 
I like your original thinking. I'm not sure how well it would work in practice. Will the markers stay on the hose? What if you can't park in the same spot? Worth trying, I'd say. I'll be interested to see how it goes. For sure though, you're doing the right thing thinking about the finer details, and doing the thinking and mental rehearsals well in advance. That makes life interesting and will make a big difference to your efficiency and speed which will in turn make a big difference to your prosperity and enjoyment of the business. ??

Ched if you get a van,you,ll prob just pull the amount of hose you need ,but the more your prepared you are the faster you are.what do you other guys think of the spooling feature on the waterworks real?

Ched if you get a van,you,ll prob just pull the amount of hose you need ,but the more your prepared you are the faster you are.what do you other guys think of the spooling feature on the waterworks real?
I don't use electric reels but I would think a spooling feature is a very good idea, provided it doesn't add too much battery drain or mechanical complication for reliability and maintenance.

i think youve been wfp for at least some time how have you managed to resist a powered reel please ?
Seven years now. I've never felt the need or want for electric reels.

Reasons : I don't find reeling in our free running manual reels set up at a comfortable height in the van at all strenuous or slow. Son, working from the side door feels the same.

Our SCR takes care of the charging of our two large leisure batteries linked together powering two pumps and controllers. We never mains charge and our batteries are years old. That would change. We'd have to mains charge and we probably wouldn't get the same longevity out of the batteries.

We have total reliability with the the manual reels. One of the main topics of discussion on the forums is mechanical and electrical problems associated with electric reels. It takes us about 15 minutes to fill up, check the TDS and be ready for the next day's work.

I don't want the extra weight or bulk in the van. I'd rather use the carrying capacity for water which is worth close to £1 a litre for working. Today is a busy one and we've got three 25 litre cans on board to top up our 650ltr tank. If they are needed they will probably add about £60 to the day's takings.

I may change my mind and go electric at some point but I doubt it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seven years now. I've never felt the need or want for electric reels.

Reasons : I don't find reeling in our free running manual reels set up at a comfortable height in the van at all strenuous or slow. Son, working from the side door feels the same.

Our SCR takes care of the charging of our two large leisure batteries linked together powering two pumps and controllers. We never mains charge and our batteries are years old. That would change. We'd have to mains charge and we probably wouldn't get the same longevity out of the batteries.

We have total reliability with the the manual reels. One of the main topics of discussion on the forums is mechanical and electrical problems associated with electric reels. It takes us about 15 minutes to fill up, check the TDS and be ready for the next day's work.

I don't want the extra weight or bulk in the van. I'd rather use the carrying capacity for water which is worth close to £1 a litre for working. Today is a busy one and we've got three 25 litre cans on board to top up our 650ltr tank. If they are needed they will probably add about £60 to the day's takings.

I may change my mind and go electric at some point but I doubt it.
#teammanualreel I'm with you on that. Not something I've ever needed or wanted. Happy with my manual reels and it's free exercise 

Latest Posts

Back