Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Never seen this before

WCF

Help Support WCF:

1 minute ago, ched999uk said:

Waterworks had a video of a spooler (device that guides the hose on or off the reel while moving across) so the hose is distributed equally across the reel.

Ah ok I see what you mean they don’t do it yet it’s been in development for about 4-5 years !!!!!

well thanks for your opinions do you mostly use your reels in van ? do you have hose guides cut into your van floors ? do you ever take em out and use from the road/pavement? iwould like to saytoday when lifting my reel in and out ,so long as i  address the weight properly like a weight lifter or kung foo student no problem,but if tired and in a hurry ie not concentrating,i could put my back out

PJJ its been in development for along time yep,but i think thats it now isnt it1 or can we still not buy.

Has any one used a hoselock auto spooling reel with any success retractable/no electrics pulls in a lot of 1/2" garden hoseas iam writing,iam thinking prob wont hold enough hose for our needs?

In my case, both manual reels have just enough supply hose that we could lift them out if we needed to. We almost never do. I can't remember the last time, it was certainly a few years ago. I don't have or need hose guides. The reels are loosely tethered in the van so we can swivel them to suit but they can't fall out. By not having hose guides it's very easy and quick to guide the hose onto the reels freely with the left hand while spinning the reel with right hand. We can apply light tension on the hose with the left hand to keep the coils neat. We can feel the correct slight resistance with the right hand wile spinning the handle. If the hose gets snagged on the return we know straight away by feel and experience and can stop in an instant. Works the finest for us.

Edit/addition : I forgot to say that an important detail for me with the free running manual reel is to not stand in front of it pumping with the shoulder. Much easier, quicker and better to stand slightly to the side (about 45 degrees) with the elbow nearly in line with the end of the reel spindle. Then it's a simple matter of spinning the lower arm as I would spin a conker on a shoe lace.

Last edited by a moderator:
PJJ its been in development for along time yep,but i think thats it now isnt it1 or can we still not buy.

Has any one used a hoselock auto spooling reel with any success retractable/no electrics pulls in a lot of 1/2" garden hoseas iam writing,iam thinking prob wont hold enough hose for our needs?
The return spring would not suit 100m of hose. They are designed for about 25~30 metres or so. The reels might hold enough micro hose but the spring would be under far too much tension. We could find ourselves snatched into the reel along with the hose with one arm poking outside to try and unwind ourselves out. ?

As far as Ime aware it’s not a production thing you can buy he had prototypes made but cost  many thousands of £££ and it wasn’t viable to sell to customers at that price last time I spoke to Jordan he was trying to get a firm to mass produce them cheaper . 

We have fixed reels in the vans but also carry free standing ones for  some jobs . 

24E44AE0-9B14-4297-A1CA-09AC05C57F21.jpeg

164F7629-74C5-4DB5-AFF7-2BD3DFC56B1C.jpeg

7B9006EA-C1C6-4280-9252-5849E30B4ED9.jpeg

EBB37B39-6AD3-446C-B8F9-2CE270402E76.jpeg

8A07C11F-1B33-4B90-BFD6-6E177E898841.jpeg

3190DC76-8D82-4E55-B12E-9EFAC71A1594.jpeg

C7C7CC05-03F8-48F4-9E18-74B8336979F4.jpeg

Thanks Davey & PJJ food for thought indeed might have a look again at P/F manual reels some have a lanyard to help clear van sides. iam surprised Jorden hasnt cracked it yet.have you seen the new i think its Gardena manual garden hose reel mate? itsgot a spooling mech just below the reel obviously geared somehow but fascinating to watch, as it only rotates one way all the time yet when the hose reaches one side of the reel it automaticly changes direction and comes back the other way.custy has got one thier are criss cross grooves that i think the hose runs on but its beyond me ithink its a bit Leonardo da vinci makes my head hurtttt

Most welcome @Diamond Geezer. Most garden centre type hose reels have plastic running gear and poor build quality. Dreadful friction and fragility. Totally unsuited to our everyday professional need for robustness and reliability. They would be slow and tiring to work with. If you do go the manual route I'd suggest the blue steel clover leaf shaped ones. The simple ones without wheels. Drill and bolt through the two end plates with two 6mm threaded bars with nuts and washers to keep the sides from spreading and creating friction. This was the key for me, in having extremely low friction and high speed reeling.

The reel self spooling is probably, based on the Archimedes screw principle. In this case a two way worm drive. I had a similar system on an American multiplyer type fishing reel in the 70s.(Penn Leveline). A fantastic system. I don't know why it never caught on. 20201210_112928.jpg

Note that the reel is angled at 45 degrees so the shoulder doesn't need to pump. Also note the threaded bar (one of two) going through the side plate to the other side plate. This small modification dramatically reduces the friction and drag and should be done at design stage, rather than us having to it as a DIY after purchase. ??

My setup is very similar to the waterworks in principal and have had no issues with temp or damage to hose or pole

As far as Ime aware it’s not a production thing you can buy he had prototypes made but cost  many thousands of £££ and it wasn’t viable to sell to customers at that price last time I spoke to Jordan he was trying to get a firm to mass produce them cheaper . 

We have fixed reels in the vans but also carry free standing ones for  some jobs . 

View attachment 25895

View attachment 25896

View attachment 25897

View attachment 25898

View attachment 25899

View attachment 25900

View attachment 25901
Is that an old ladder used as a platform in the middle pics ?

pole on the back of the van is a great idea as long as your not travelling far , ideal between jobs really I may have to Mackle something up like that for myself 

Is that an old ladder used as a platform in the middle pics ?

pole on the back of the van is a great idea as long as your not travelling far , ideal between jobs really I may have to Mackle something up like that for myself 
No it’s aluminium box section 2 inch by 1 inch with another piece bolted through the wheel arch it works very well and is quick and cheap to fit 

Back