Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

New Business - Somerset (Any Help Gratefully Received)

WCF

Help Support WCF:

We are gathering detail at this stage. Then it will be placed in module format. That will be a quick part of the process. Then it will need to be perhaps amended, then approved and accredited. I imagine it is still 12 months away. It's not a quick process. It has to be right.

Good post Steve

Regarding gutter clearing don't be fooled into thinking great I have a guttervac so will not need to use ladders as unfortunatly it is sadly not the case on most jobs you will get. The safest kit I have found for ladder work is get an ankalad fitted to your gutter clearing ladder & use a microlight stand-off that is designed to rest on roofs. That way you don't need someone to foot the ladder as Steve mentioned. Even though I use a guttervac aswell they are not great for the likes of unblocking downspouts and badly blocked guttering so I find it quicker to do by hand.

To overcome the overhang in this example pic would be near impossible to do safely with a normal standoff

View attachment 3531

Also that ladder set up comes in very handy for awkward guttervac jobs and I use it a lot for conservatory roof cleaning too so is money well spent in my book.

View attachment 3532

With the ankalad deployed can use the ladder free standing too away from the conservatory guttering to gain enough height to wfp deep clean hard to reach areas like the points bits etc on this one.

View attachment 3533

Regarding marketing and what services to start promoting firstly I would suggest while you are learning your new trade skills get someone like dodger to sort you out with your company branding and most importanly a good website covering all the services you want to offer. Doing so first will act as your business card on the net. Next depending on what you want to push get flyers made up and go knocking doors. Simples

Hope this helps?

P.s Best you learn how to trad windows aswell as you will need that skill for interior work etc.

Good luck to Vinny - Whilst I agree with Hotwash now because i started out like Vinny and it was a lot of hard learning and knocks but it seems you have a mentor which is great and I know your attitude will get you afloat. Just shows how awful some of these jobs are if your prepared to drop from £40000 salary all safe.

You have based some of your research on stories of window cleaners coming and packing in after a few months. You get bad customers and the other side of the story here is they cant get any money off Mrs Smith who is never in, Mrs Jones decdes she wants 2 monthy not monthly, Mr Bean decides he wants his done with a letaher and so it can go on.

Also don't expect all customers to welcome you with WFP, they can be crazily irrational. One bloke loooked so nervous and worried every time I went i packed in for his health, his wife was happy but not him, kept asking why are you not drying it off, kept explaining but gets on your nerves.

One thing I have leant about window cleaning its finding the right customers for the right window cleaners.

abbeyclean.co.uk

Very interesting thread for someone like me who is considering a similar move from corporate middle management to something I own and can hopefully grow.

I'm based in Liverpool and if theres a local mentor who is prepared to share some experience then please get in touch .

Apologies if this is deemed to be hijacking this thread ..

Appreciated Vinny - I wish you every success with your new career path ..

- just to comment - I've also had great results with enthusiastic but inexperienced people in moving from one discipline to another - its the energy they bring, hunger for new challenge and paying back your trust in their abilities irrespective of their experience ..

Please keep some sort of blog going around your progress - Im sure there will be many who are interested ...

cheers

Hope it all works out for you Djent and ady (vinny8467) Looking at H experience on another post how he has 350 plus customers in less than 18 months

Vinny. , good luck in your new career path, I too give up a well paid job .

I live in N.Ireland and worked in the management side of the construction industry in central London (earning upto 60k ) give it up to be close to my family and got a van and wfp setup ,started last sept with one customer (my auntie lol) .

ATM I have approx 250 regulars , pvc and gutter jobs on the go all year round !

Have never been happier ,a little bit poorer :-( but happier!!!

Don't forget there is loads of work out there you just have too look for it !

There is only one bit of advice I would give you ( as a newbie myself) work out what your prices are and stick to them and never undercut someone to get a house ,you will hate doing that house every month knowing you are doing for less than you should be !!!!

Enjoy the outdoors :)

Latest Posts

Back