Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

New gas heater arrived this morning

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Just a quick heads up If you get one it comes without a gas hose or gas regulator but no big deal as local calor gas suppliers should stock them. It does come with a screw in barb end though to fit the gas inlet pipe to. The other fittings to connect the water inlet & outlet is not supplied either. Again this is down to you to decide whichever way you want the hoses/pipes connected.

For now I'm just using the hozelock fittings from my old L5 to test it. If going down the hozlock route you will need a male screw on outside tap fittings with a reducer that some come with already that will screw straight on.

On another note at the top of the heater the vent is round so can be fitted with a flue if wanted. I’m undecided if I want to be cutting a hole in my van roof though at the mo.

I've just tried it out and so far it seems much better than my old L5 heater./emoticons/smile.png

Looks nice and compact!

I have thought about this, but so far, in 3 years, I've managed to get away with cold water, accept one day 3 years ago on a few houses that I do. No biggie.

But Monday this week was effin cold, and my water did freeze, but luckily I had insides to do, and by the time I got back out it had melted and was fine to carry on for the rest of the day.

Keep us updated will how it goes....

Last edited by a moderator:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-8L-HOT-WATER-HEATER-GAS-LPG-PROPANE-TANKLESS-INSTANT-BOILER-STAINLESS-/161069394262?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Hearing_Cooling_Air&hash=item25807be956

They are all the same, just with different names. Don't accidentally buy the one for natural gas as they are slightly cheaper. I would always confirm the price of postage with the supplier before ordering the item.

I know of a few cleaners who have them and they work very well. The only downside is fitting them where you can exhaust it. I would also suggest a roof vent.

Religiously drain the heater down in the winter to prevent the internals being damaged by ice. There is a drain especially for you to do it. However, Spring also make a Frostat controller applicable to gas heaters since the beginning of this year. Once the temperature drops to 2 degrees it will switch the pump on for ten minutes. All you have to do is make sure you have a return to the water tank incorporated in you setup.

How come that one is so much cheaper??
Although the hot water enables you to get the work done, but doesn't this freeze after a few mins??
I did some council offices a couple of Sundays ago. I didn't realise that the council was saving money by switching the heating off. The cold water I was using was freezing on the glass and I spent ages on each window washing the ice off so I could rinse. Once I did that the water froze again, but when it thawed the windows were clean.

Had I had warm water it would have made the job a bit easier. I doesn't matter if the water freezes quicker; all you have to do is get a wash and a rinse in first.

99.9% of the houses we do will have central heating so we are fine with cold water. However it would be nice the have a little warm water warming our carbon poles up a little. I hate wearing gloves and having experimented with warm before it does make a difference to the temperature of the pole. I also hate using the hose in winter as the cold water temperatures make it like wire.

Last edited by a moderator:
How come that one is so much cheaper??
Although the hot water enables you to get the work done, but doesn't this freeze after a few mins??

They play around with pricing and delivery charges to catch those spur of the moment buys. I've seen them as low as £79.99 with free delivery. I would imagine the wfp cleaners have pushed the price up a bit with demand. Anmeny (or something close to that) seem to be priced slightly cheaper but I haven't seen them advertised for a while TBH.

That reminds me I better go and drain it down then or it will be going down the tip with the other one that got frozen up. I decided to drain it down and bring it in doors now so is nice and warm /emoticons/biggrin.png

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-8L-HOT-WATER-HEATER-GAS-LPG-PROPANE-TANKLESS-INSTANT-BOILER-STAINLESS-/161069394262?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Hearing_Cooling_Air&hash=item25807be956
They are all the same, just with different names. Don't accidentally buy the one for natural gas as they are slightly cheaper. I would always confirm the price of postage with the supplier before ordering the item.

I know of a few cleaners who have them and they work very well. The only downside is fitting them where you can exhaust it. I would also suggest a roof vent.

Religiously drain the heater down in the winter to prevent the internals being damaged by ice. There is a drain especially for you to do it. However, Spring also make a Frostat controller applicable to gas heaters since the beginning of this year. Once the temperature drops to 2 degrees it will switch the pump on for ten minutes. All you have to do is make sure you have a return to the water tank incorporated in you setup.

I have an email address if anyone wants to buy one. Just send me a pm so you can get one a bit cheaper. I paid £85 including delivery which I thought was a good price for what it is.

That reminds me I better go and drain it down then or it will be going down the tip with the other one that got frozen up. I decided to drain it down and bring it in doors now so is nice and warm /emoticons/biggrin.png
Smurf was it easy to drain down ??

Is this a basic caravan boiler? Does it kick in with water pressure?

Looks niiiiiiice.

Is this a basic caravan boiler? Does it kick in with water pressure?Looks niiiiiiice.
With water flow. When the flow stops the flame goes out, when the flow starts the flame ignites. You do need a reasonable water flow. A trickle of water will not ignite it.

Smurf was it easy to drain down ??
There is a drain down 'tap' at the bottom with all the other connectors. Would be more difficult to get to if you mounted the heater very low down.

Peter fogwill http://www.window-tools.com/ was selling a simular heater nicknamed "fogwash"I never bought one as he stopped selling them by the time I got around to getting one but it seems to work just as well. /emoticons/smile.png
This was a good heater by the reports of users. It was a 6 liter a minute heater so slightly smaller than the one you bought. What I like about this one you have now is that it has a temperature gauge which the fogwash didn't have.

With water flow. When the flow stops the flame goes out, when the flow starts the flame ignites. You do need a reasonable water flow. A trickle of water will not ignite it.
Spruce would they ignite with the normal rate used when cleaning windows?? I use a brodex machine so the flow rate is from 1 to 9 and I would use it at 3 or4.

Back