Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

New Start up. Need help please :)

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Azz1

Hello and good Morning everyone. I am new to the window cleaning industry and any help is very much appreciated. I want to start using the water fed pole system. I am starting out at what I might need. I have a limited budget. Possibly upto £1000. I have a small people carrier with outstanding finance so cant get rid any time soon.  I might just have to get a small back pack / trolley system and keep filling it up with filling it up with filtered water. My problem is how will I filter the water with this style of equipment so then it gets to minimum ppm to keep filling up my trolley as possible please. My water from the tap comes at a reading of 33ppm with a 'soft' reading from United Utilities.

Thank You :) 

Hello and good Morning everyone. I am new to the window cleaning industry and any help is very much appreciated. I want to start using the water fed pole system. I am starting out at what I might need. I have a limited budget. Possibly upto £1000. I have a small people carrier with outstanding finance so cant get rid any time soon.  I might just have to get a small back pack / trolley system and keep filling it up with filling it up with filtered water. My problem is how will I filter the water with this style of equipment so then it gets to minimum ppm to keep filling up my trolley as possible please. My water from the tap comes at a reading of 33ppm with a 'soft' reading from United Utilities.

Thank You :) 
Hi. That is a good budget to start off with. The Gardiner back pack is the best in the market IMO (£120) A CLX 22 Gardiner pole is a good all rounder about £180 plus brush (£40) I would say 10 x 25ltr barrels. You could do the water yourself with a DI vessel around £50 plus 25ltr bag of resin (£90) which will last a good few months or you can pay as you go with spotless water filling stations. 
Good luck with the new venture 

Thank You ?
First step as per @Part Timer is a quality tds meter. Use a reputable supplier as the quality of TDS meters from Ebay is rather hit and miss.

I fellow windie has a Purefreedom trolley and tows a trailer with 15 x 20 liter plastic drums in the back. He's a strong lad so lifting plastic containers onto his trolley is easier for him than it would be for me. The car he uses was once the family car but now its his dedicated window cleaning vehicle.

I don't think you want to be carting 20 liter plastic containers full of water around in the car. It won't take long before the car is damp inside and begins to smell.

Son works with me a prefers to use the backpack. I find decanting water from a 20 liter plastic container into his backpack back breaking after doing it a couple of times.

Will this be everything I would need for a basic start up please. Will this resin filter canister filter the water enough or will I need additional filters. My tap reading is 27 ppm today so not that high. Thank You so much 

Screenshot_20200218_213122_com.ebay.mobile.jpg

Will this be everything I would need for a basic start up please. Will this resin filter canister filter the water enough or will I need additional filters. My tap reading is 27 ppm today so not that high. Thank You so much 

View attachment 19378
Imo I wouldn't buy it mate, you have a decent budget for good gear, I'd get all gardiner products, your tds is is brilliantly low, jammy sod lol, 

As part timer says get a bigger Di vessel, an couple bags of tulson resin, a CLX pole an a gardiner backpack few drums an a wee trolley an your away. 

These guys are great on here for help, picked up alot of stuff on here, cheers lads

@Part Timer mate does running Di only fill tank faster? 
Yes as you get 100% of the water. What you have to factor in is that through an R/O you will reduce your TDS to single figures so you will save on resin. You will however need at least twice as much water as at least half will be waste water.

Most good 40/40 R/O's will produce at up to 200 litres an hour. Fairly certain DI only would be quicker.

Yes as you get 100% of the water. What you have to factor in is that through an R/O you will reduce your TDS to single figures so you will save on resin. You will however need at least twice as much water as at least half will be waste water.

Most good 40/40 R/O's will produce at up to 200 litres an hour. Fairly certain DI only would be quicker.
Thank you @Part Timer

I've a collins 300 gpd ro, have it four years, brings my tds down to two, from tap tds of 160, but it's slow mate, about 24 hours

I don't want to get booster as my tap is far away from leccy source. 

I checked my tds yesterday an it's down to just under 100, don't know how long it will stay like that, but I'd like to try Di only when it's under. 

So will the flow of my tap determine the rate it fills with Di only. 

Forgot to mention I don't use Di to polish to 0, the ro brings it to 2 an that's what I clean with. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you @Part Timer

I've a collins 300 gpd ro, have it four years, brings my tds down to two, from tap tds of 160, but it's slow mate, about 24 hours

I don't want to get booster as my tap is far away from leccy source. 

I checked my tds yesterday an it's down to just under 100, don't know how long it will stay like that, but I'd like to try Di only when it's under. 

So will the flow of my tap determine the rate it fills with Di only. 

Forgot to mention I don't use Di to polish to 0, the ro brings it to 2 an that's what I clean with. 
There is nothing wrong with a slow producing r/o. You just have to use it in conjunction with an ibc tank, preferably a 1000 liter one. Transferring water over to your vehicle tank is quick with a submersible pump.

When filling a tank with a di vessel it's better to trickle fill. This allows the resin time to remove the impurities from your water. This is especially applicable as the resin in the di vessel gets older and 'spent'.

There is nothing wrong with a slow producing r/o. You just have to use it in conjunction with an ibc tank, preferably a 1000 liter one. Transferring water over to your vehicle tank is quick with a submersible pump.

When filling a tank with a di vessel it's better to trickle fill. This allows the resin time to remove the impurities from your water. This is especially applicable as the resin in the di vessel gets older and 'spent'.
Thank you @spruce.

I haven't yet got an ibc tank, I'm using a 250 green butt from homebase. 

I only using about 300 litres a week, so not very much. 

I suppose the slow ro is OK, but I plan to get busy this year, so need a ibc, thanks mate

Thank you @spruce.

I haven't yet got an ibc tank, I'm using a 250 green butt from homebase. 

I only using about 300 litres a week, so not very much. 

I suppose the slow ro is OK, but I plan to get busy this year, so need a ibc, thanks mate
Your next upgrade could be to a 450gpd r/o which is a 50% increase.

If you have 2 housings then add a third with 150gpd membranes. If you have 3 housings already then just upgrade the membranes from 100gpd to 150gpd.

You can get a black IBC tank for standing outside but they are more expensive. An ordinary ibc tank painted black also works just as well.

Back