Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

New to the Industry - Looking for Advice!

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Yes a few times ive driven off where ive put ladder on roof and the clamps are sat on roof too or in back of van. Luckily I heard something and stopped and put clamps on, but once the ladder came flying off on a corner. very luckily, it was in the sticks and just scared a rabbit or the odd pheasant. A tip for anyone who might do this, now, I leave the clamps on my drivers seat, so theres no way of forgetting.?? 
Putting clamps on drivers seat is great advice...that I now use as standard working practice when I have to use my ladders.

How about a 500 litre tank etc in a bedford rascal? ive heard there like the Tardis?

My first window cleaning van was a Suzuki Carry 1.3 which towed my trailer.

The trailer carried 450 liters of water.

As the trailer was unbraked the only way I could remain road legal towing that weight was to add 4 additional 25 litre containers filled with water and my weight. 

It wasn't so bad though. On a good day I used more than 450 liters so added the extra 'ballast' water to the empty tanks. It gave me an extra hour plus to finish off.

Would I have fitted those tanks in the van? I did and filled them with water as an experiment. Drove around the block and scrapped the idea. Bought a 51 plate Citroen Relay with a 1.9 diesel engine and used the van to take the dog to the beach and Friday night collections.

This Citroen set me on the right path van wise for window cleaning with a 650 liter tank.

DIY setup isn't as hard as it sounds. The main thing though, is the tank fitting safely. The tank needs to be held by a strong metal frame and bolted through the vehicles chassis. I would get a 500l+ flat baffled tank, a frame designed for it, and find a mechanic/engineer willing to fit it for you. 

That is the main expense and difficulty and the rest is pretty straight forward.

Other stuff like waterproofing your van, plumbing up a pump, hosereel and pole are all doable with no prior experience as there are a ton of resources to help. I'd put £2k on a van, £1.5k on a basic setup that can be built upon later, £1.5k on customers- as in, flyers, lead generation, even buying a small amount of work to get you started.

I'd put £2k on a van, £1.5k on a basic setup that can be built upon later, £1.5k on customers- as in, flyers, lead generation, even buying a small amount of work to get you started.

With my DIY skills I'd rather put that £1.5k for customers and put it towards a fitted system like a Pure Freedom one. Then get customers the usual way like knocking doors. Flyers, imo are a complete waste of money.

Hello Owen and welcome to the forum! 

My advice is to enjoy the work of WC and find enjoyment in running the business. The first year or so will be challenging so it helps to find intrinsic value from your efforts.

I also encourage you to set a fixed amount of time and money for advertising each month. It also helps to buy an established route.

I've been in this game for two years now and all i seem to do is spend money. Its handy if you have a mate or know someone who can keep you right. Best advice i can give you is regards the van. Buy the biggest you can and get it professionally signwrighted. I got two calls this week because they seen my van in their area. If I was starting again i would have a simple local name like Paisley Window Cleaner rather than a big generic name like Scottish Cleaning Service. 

Cannot comment at the moment but give it a couple of weeks all will be revealed 
Hang on, are we talking about Pure freedom or Brexit ?

I've been in this game for two years now and all i seem to do is spend money. Its handy if you have a mate or know someone who can keep you right. Best advice i can give you is regards the van. Buy the biggest you can and get it professionally signwrighted. I got two calls this week because they seen my van in their area. If I was starting again i would have a simple local name like Paisley Window Cleaner rather than a big generic name like Scottish Cleaning Service. 
Yeah but if you just went and got some customers you'd have less time to spend money ?? 

PURE FREEDOM have been around for many years and are a reputable WFP company.....i bought a 500L tank and frame from them and got my local garage to fit it in my van for me for £80....job done.....i also bought  a PF electric reelmaster from them,great bit of kit.....then i went to GRIPPATANK for a 9kw hot water system add on.......?altogether this set up cost me around £5,800 but i now have a system that will last me 10+ years in my current van....

Hang on, are we talking about Pure freedom or Brexit ?

Yeah but if you just went and got some customers you'd have less time to spend money ?? 

When i'm up the ladder i also check their gutters. A card goes through the letterbox giving them a price for me to clear them. Got one this week which means another fifty quid to spend. ???

No, my first one lasted over 8 years and is still in the standby van. They're that bad I bought another one. Has your current one been a problem?
? phew.. nope been fine so far! 

PURE FREEDOM have been around for many years and are a reputable WFP company.....i bought a 500L tank and frame from them and got my local garage to fit it in my van for me for £80....job done.....i also bought  a PF electric reelmaster from them,great bit of kit.....then i went to GRIPPATANK for a 9kw hot water system add on.......?altogether this set up cost me around £5,800 but i now have a system that will last me 10+ years in my current van....
Sounds good mate! I hope mine lasts that long!

Back