Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

New window cleaner - what do i need to be a legal business

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Boarcity, I will try that site, I done moneysupermarket one. Put in business use and then got no we can not lol, maybe churchill were just dodgy, ill try again. cheers.

yeh i do the boar thing....but all insurance ask you to select what your job is from a drop down list....i of course select window cleaner...and i use the car to get to and from a place of work.....no problem for me.../emoticons/biggrin.png

What a difference full no claims makes...280 ish quid and 2 people covered and both for business

I made an effort to call up a month or so back and check everything over with my Tesco insurance. I made sure they had me as business use- they didn't, probably my fault but glad I checked. I told them about my roof rack, that was fine, but its an easy get out if you havnt told them. I even told them about the racking inside my van, that was fine too. Best to call and check you are covered for this kind of thing as they will do everything they can to get out of paying.

I have my tesco insurance certificate which states it in black and white..I keep it on me with my licence just in case

YEAH Daveyboy1 - ful claims helps, I am gutted the situation I am in and its really unfair until its sorted I am down as a "fault" and that rubs it in even more, I tell them I espcaped my car before it was smashed to bits, yet still no change, UNFAIR! so fed up, this could last another 6 months, its been a year now. I dont no what I can do other than lump it, but I am making a claim so going to ask to claim the extra insurance costs I pay for sure. Cider it is mate!!!

I also reckon there are a few windys out there that think they are on cover but are not, the insurance companies are as*holes.

Looks like its £69 a month for me for now, still I am not letting this get me down.....

69 pounds a month is chicken feed once you start on the windows mate. 7 houses worth , not even a mornings worth

Boardcity, Yes, I dont really no what I will expect to earn, I still think I will flop partly lol, not gettng customers in. I always felt I can earn ok doing this, I am being so heavily put off by friends and family at present, but as I said on anothe rpost, hearing from pro's like yourself, is good to hear. Yeah I think I worrying to much and need to go for it dispite the costs.

Hi, well I was targeting bunglows and other buildings, as I have a few peeps whom want it done already, as I have already made a bunglow list of over 1300 properites I cna target, as I only really wanted to do 2-3 days worht window cleaning, but talkign on here and getting support I thik I might go WFP and target houses also, that will open my potential up too. Or I might get a safty course on ladders and be trad, so I can do that, but again people are like no dont go on ladders its dangerous dont do it!!! lol but I may do that yes. In an ideal world it would be great to meet a window cleaner and get tips and hands on experience.

I am in Essex and will cover Essex and Kent. I have contacts in both areas, so can build bases around both, just maybe it will give me more coverage and chance to find more work, I wont work any further really.

69 quid

You can make that in 3.5 hours taking it easy..lol

get ladders and do some big houses so less travelling time etc

(Or a wfp backpack)

Best to work as close to home as possible

My best work is within 2 miles of home

Hi,
Please could someone on here spare a moment to advise me on what I need to gain in order to practice my window cleaning business. I will be cleaning windows, frames, fascia and gutterings only. I just would like to no what I need to legally do. I have listed below what I am going to need but is there anything else, I have been told thats it really and that I have 3 months to inform the HMRC. But I wanted to check with people on here whom actually will know what I need to be legit. Do I need a waste licence? as I can not think of much if any waste I will have really.

I will inform HMRC

I am getting public liability insurance and have a quote for gardening and window cleaning

This is all I can think of, get this and away I go on the hint for customers (the scarey part) I have been told by all friends I am wasting my time, but already reading this site its more postive and supportive.

Thank you in advance and nice to meet you.

Scottie
You would be well advised to line yourself up with an accountant. It doesn't matter if you have started or not, just to get yourself on their books. You will have to sign a form to say that he/she is your agent, they will pass this on to HMRC, you don't have to tell HMRC yourself. I made the mistake a few years ago of not having an accountant and working window cleaning, with the intention of presenting my books at the end of the year. Wrong! The tax people can be very zealous sometimes, and I know, because I found out later, that a person whose windows I was doing was being investigated, and a receipt from me popped up in his paperwork. I was also, at the same time seen by someone cleaning windows (elsewhere), and my vehicle registration was noted. Consequently I was hauled into the tax office and given the third degree - You are guilty in the eyes of HMRC, and you have to prove that you are not. If they see someone working at something and they suspect anything, they will look to see if they are registered. If they are, then they are not doing anything illegal (because you are going to give your accounts in at the end of the year).

With regard to insurance, your public liability insurance should cover you. I have a good policy with 'Zurich', through 'Trade Direct'. All sorts of damage protection, and costs me £500 a year.

I do my own acconts on pc but registered straight away

They give you 3 months to register but if you are caught working how do you prove it's been less than 3 months

Back