Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Newbie shopping list

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Streaks

Hi,

Been lurking on this forum for a while looking for advice as I am starting a window cleaning business while also working on the side.

I have 0 experience (don't shoot me) but am planning on practising a lot on my house + friends and family before I start and I'm after some advice on what I may have missed / need / don't need.

- Van: I have a budget of around £5000 and am currently looking at 09 / 12 Transit Connect LWB with less than 100k miles

- Pole: SLX-22 with 1 extension + Univalve, attachments below (wasn't sure if the brush would be a good choice? I'm also going to buy a 12 inch Alpha Premium Boar Brush - 4 Pencil Jets, Rinse Bar and Swivel Neck for the tougher / dirtier windows

1715770517589.png

- Bigboy Backpack 2 (gardiner one currently out of stock) and a few 25l containers

- Squeegee set with small squeegee + scraper

- Hose / Pure Freedom Professional Bolt Down Reel

- Ladder

- Chemicals (Unger Liquid, TFR, The Pink Stuff)

- Wallnut Pad

- Microfibre cloths

- Water from pure water + get TDS kit

I'm sure I'm probably missing something obvious so any advice is appreciated.

Hi,

Been lurking on this forum for a while looking for advice as I am starting a window cleaning business while also working on the side.

I have 0 experience (don't shoot me) but am planning on practising a lot on my house + friends and family before I start and I'm after some advice on what I may have missed / need / don't need.

- Van: I have a budget of around £5000 and am currently looking at 09 / 12 Transit Connect LWB with less than 100k miles

- Pole: SLX-22 with 1 extension + Univalve, attachments below (wasn't sure if the brush would be a good choice? I'm also going to buy a 12 inch Alpha Premium Boar Brush - 4 Pencil Jets, Rinse Bar and Swivel Neck for the tougher / dirtier windows

View attachment 30210

- Bigboy Backpack 2 (gardiner one currently out of stock) and a few 25l containers

- Ladder

- Wallnut Pad

- Microfibre cloths

I'd have a good read through the forum as this question has been asked countless times and there is plenty of great information there.

You'll need more than a tds tester to get pure water and a budget well into the thousands if living in a hard water area or somewhere without a spotless site

You'll need a van mounted system if using a reel as a backup isn't designed for that intended use

I wouldn't spend to big or go crazy at first and take small steps

Search Facebook marketplace or the sales thread on here first as many have good intentions of starting out an for many reasons find it's not for them.

This is a physically demanding trade and will strain every muscle you have if not used to it

@Streaks that's quite the shopping list. Well done on saving up for all of it. I can't add alot myself apart from I would get the 26cm sill brush rather than the 35cm. The 35cm is quite heavy and bulky, and the 26cm is not only lighter but also easier to learn to clean with. The SLX is a great pole and a 22 foot with an extension when needed you'll get nearly everything residential including 3 storeys.

If you are getting a big boy backpack, comes fitted with a female hozelock fitting already on it, so you could put your Gardiner pole hose fitting as a hozelock male and save yourself a few pennies that way.

Squeegees my personal favourite is the unger ergotec with an 'S Plus' channel. They have a dog eared/curved end so they put pressure on the ends of the channel to help with less detailing. If you buy any squeegee like that then buy a couple of different sized channels - as the squeegee rubber on the ends wears out quicker than the rest you can cut the ends off the rubber and refit into a smaller channel. Really helps elongate the life of the rubber.

Loads of window cleaners on this forum have been going ages and will be able to advise on reels and all sorts of other stuff.

Best of luck with your new venture buddy.

I'd have a good read through the forum as this question has been asked countless times and there is plenty of great information there.

You'll need more than a tds tester to get pure water and a budget well into the thousands if living in a hard water area or somewhere without a spotless site

You'll need a van mounted system if using a reel as a backup isn't designed for that intended use

I wouldn't spend to big or go crazy at first and take small steps

Search Facebook marketplace or the sales thread on here first as many have good intentions of starting out an for many reasons find it's not for them.

This is a physically demanding trade and will strain every muscle you have if not used to it
Sorry I was supposed to put that the water would be coming from Spotless Water, I have a station 5-10 mins drive away.

I am planning on a van mounted system in the future but was hoping to start with the backpack, i'm having second thoughts about having a mounted reel but want a reel of some sort, I've seen videos of people using the backpack from their van and using a hose / hose reel so believe it works ok?

Thanks for the recommendations, I should be fine with the physical side of things also.

@Streaks that's quite the shopping list. Well done on saving up for all of it. I can't add alot myself apart from I would get the 26cm sill brush rather than the 35cm. The 35cm is quite heavy and bulky, and the 26cm is not only lighter but also easier to learn to clean with. The SLX is a great pole and a 22 foot with an extension when needed you'll get nearly everything residential including 3 storeys.

If you are getting a big boy backpack, comes fitted with a female hozelock fitting already on it, so you could put your Gardiner pole hose fitting as a hozelock male and save yourself a few pennies that way.

Squeegees my personal favourite is the unger ergotec with an 'S Plus' channel. They have a dog eared/curved end so they put pressure on the ends of the channel to help with less detailing. If you buy any squeegee like that then buy a couple of different sized channels - as the squeegee rubber on the ends wears out quicker than the rest you can cut the ends off the rubber and refit into a smaller channel. Really helps elongate the life of the rubber.

Loads of window cleaners on this forum have been going ages and will be able to advise on reels and all sorts of other stuff.

Best of luck with your new venture buddy.
Ah ok, I was deciding between the 26cm and 35cm, I will order the 26cm instead :)

I will go for those squeegees, good to know about the rubbers too, thanks.

You need customers.
That’s by far the hardest part especially if your in a saturated area (most places).

It’s why many give up, after a month or two.

Getting the kit is easy. Don’t spend too much, in case it doesn’t work out.
Good luck👍🏻
Completely agree. Create a demand for trade, canvas loads before spending a penny

Also try and go out with a window cleaner for the day. He or she can give you a valuable insight as to what it is like. You can have a go with their equipment. He or she can talk you through their set up. Any questions you have can get answered.

Maybe get a little step. I carry a little (but sturdy) step ladder in the van and a little plastic hop-up. Sometimes it can save you having to stand way back to get a windows above an extension you can hardly see.

As a side note. If I have to get a step ladder out of the van to complete a window clean it usually costs the custy an extra £5 per visit

Maybe get a little step. I carry a little (but sturdy) step ladder in the van and a little plastic hop-up. Sometimes it can save you having to stand way back to get a windows above an extension you can hardly see.

As a side note. If I have to get a step ladder out of the van to complete a window clean it usually costs the custy an extra £5 per visit
Approximately

Most backpacks are rated at 20m max of extension hose as the pumps are very little.
You could get a 'standard' V16 controller and pump on a board - https://daqua.co.uk/pumps.htm and then have it going to a hose to dunk into a barrel of pure - saves having to top up a backpack, you can use a 100m reel and it will be fine when you go van mounted.
Using a backpack really needs to be on a trolley - good way to keep costs down.
I would say a 26cm brush would probably be better as when extended a 26ft pole takes a bit of getting used to and the bigger brush is heavier so when multiplied up over the 26ft it's a lot heavier! If you go for a 35cm brush use 4 x 1.4mm jets especially on a back pack so 4 x 2mm wont last long if it works on a backpack.

If you are using a univalve you don't need a tap on the pole hose.

A logo'd 'uniform - maybe just polo shirt and work trousers looks so much better than jeans and a tee shirt.
A card with your details for quotes - double sided business card ? A payment slip, business bank account.

Lots of luck!

I am planning on a van mounted system in the future but was hoping to start with the backpack, i'm having second thoughts about having a mounted reel but want a reel of some sort, I've seen videos of people using the backpack from their van and using a hose / hose reel so believe it works ok?
@Streaks I've used about 20 metres of hose with a backpack without much issue.

I've seen window cleaners on youtube use longer hose but the backpacks have a quite a small pump compared to a van system, so they may not recommend using particularly long hose as the pump may not be able to work properly (and check the warranty just in case).

start now running free ads in the buy n sell section on Facebook,and post daily on Twitter etc your thoughts more than anything ,you want to hit the ground running . Make sure in every ad you have your face ,cant stress that enough. Local to me is a windy who posts on facebook has yellow buck teeth hes very memorable altho iv never seen him close up

Thanks for all the recommendations.

I have added the Pentair mounted pump package to the shopping list in place of the backpack along with a 350l-400l tank + a step ladder.

Any recommendations for a battery for the pump? And a decent hose reel?

In terms of marketing I have a friend who has made me a website that is nearly up and ready and he is linking it to Hubspot (don't know much about this but he has suggested it)

I have a Go Pro and will be looking at getting some content for social media when the kit arrives but I'm hoping my main source of customers will come from door to door canvassing and leaflet drops.

Thanks for all the recommendations.

I have added the Pentair mounted pump package to the shopping list in place of the backpack along with a 350l-400l tank + a step ladder.

In terms of marketing I have a friend who has made me a website that is nearly up and ready and he is linking it to Hubspot (don't know much about this but he has suggested it)

I have a Go Pro and will be looking at getting some content for social media when the kit arrives but I'm hoping my main source of customers will come from door to door canvassing and leaflet drops.
Canvassing is the way, leaflet drops don’t really work.

I hate canvassing so much but if people are anything like me all leaflets go straight in recycling; I don’t even read them.

Just in case you didn't know, strapping a tank down is a bad idea. It will weigh over 400kg and in the event of an accident the tie downs will fail and the tank could crush you! You need a frame and to bolt it in through the chassis with spreader plates!
As for reel a reasonable budget reel is a Claber one. Battery wise any leisure battery will be ok but you do need to mains charge each night. Obviously some batteries are better than others but starting out it won't matter much as long as it's 9Ah or bigger you will be fine. Needs to be in a box and appropriately fused!

Hi,

View attachment 30210

- Ladder

- Wallnut Pad

- Microfibre cloths

Before you wave around a brand new shiny water fed pole I strongly suggest you read up on working in the vicinity of overhead power lines

Look Out look up - will keep you alive and out of A&E
Thread 'Working near overhead power lines - Exterior cleaners health & safety' https://windowcleaningforums.co.uk/...-lines-exterior-cleaners-health-safety.39049/

@Streaks A pen? To write something down with.

Na looks pretty good. The Other suggestions as well. We all have different working styles and you may offer more/less services then the next person. So as you go along you’ll find you’ll need other bits.

If you can’t afford it yet, certainly set it as a goal to have a van mounted tank & hose reel by the end of year 1. You’ll enjoy the work alot more, and it’ll be easier. Rather than a back pack & containers

Hi,

View attachment 30210

- Ladder

- Wallnut Pad

- Microfibre cloths

Hi mate.l wish I done more research as I've spent loads of money on different bits and pieces for no reason I only started at the start of the year.

The Gardiner valve is a tap don't bother with it get a proper univalve from exceed innovations and there's a fella on here who sells the service kits highly recommend you get them.

Squeegees - personally prefer ettore over unger but it's each to their own but I personally think the unger kit is overrated also the unger liquid isn't all that I use it and don't see the difference compared to fairy platinum. 14" and 18" my go too channels

Da components sells microfibers cheap and there's a website that sells the unger ones for basically half the price I'll try find it.

Backpack will wear you down they're handy to have for certain jobs but a van mount will be miles better I started with a backpack and it probably took 15 years off my spine😂

I bought some TFR from David Kemp on Facebook 25L for £44 and it's quality stuff. Ubik 2000 is also just as good.

Business cards tend to be better than flyers in my opinion I've got 4k flyers there and I haven't bothered posting more because I only got 2 jobs from 1000😂 if I knocked 1000 doors offering my services id probably have more 100 jobs.

Uniform is worth the investment the amount of customers who compliment me coming in uniform rather than the standard trackies and top or whatever.

Sign writing for the van won't cost a bomb but definitely worth having.

Id recommend getting a second pole also incase of breakages I have a slx 27 and clx 18 myself with a range of brush heads and I also have spares for everything including pole hose. Never know when you'll need it I've lost a full week because of not having spares

Latest Posts

Back