Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Newbie Ubik question...

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Skywalker

Hi all,

Complete newbie with window cleaning and wfp but enjoying the learning of it all so far..

a quick question with regards to Ubik, people say they always use it on first cleans so I thought I would test it on my own house, on my front bay which is fairly white anyway I wet everything, then applied the ubik, scrubbed it , left it a min or so, then rinsed and no problems, but on my back kitchen window which had some water stains on the frames, but I would say was in fairly good condition, I followed the same routine but this time the Ubik turned brown but after I rinsed it, it was very patchy and streaky with some bright white parts and other bits dirty, it looked terrible! 

I repeated the process 2 more times until it looked fine, but it took some scrubbing in between!

It took me about 15-20mins to get it to look ok but feel I could have used unger rub out on the whole thing in half the time with a better result. 

Was I just unlucky, or is this normal, any guidance would be great, as I know the product gets good reviews but now I’m reluctant to use it on a customers job in case the frames go all streaky again!

btw, the mix in my spray bottle was 200ml water 500ml Ubik. 

thanks Paul.  

Hi all,

Complete newbie with window cleaning and wfp but enjoying the learning of it all so far..

a quick question with regards to Ubik, people say they always use it on first cleans so I thought I would test it on my own house, on my front bay which is fairly white anyway I wet everything, then applied the ubik, scrubbed it , left it a min or so, then rinsed and no problems, but on my back kitchen window which had some water stains on the frames, but I would say was in fairly good condition, I followed the same routine but this time the Ubik turned brown but after I rinsed it, it was very patchy and streaky with some bright white parts and other bits dirty, it looked terrible! 

I repeated the process 2 more times until it looked fine, but it took some scrubbing in between!

It took me about 15-20mins to get it to look ok but feel I could have used unger rub out on the whole thing in half the time with a better result. 

Was I just unlucky, or is this normal, any guidance would be great, as I know the product gets good reviews but now I’m reluctant to use it on a customers job in case the frames go all streaky again!

btw, the mix in my spray bottle was 200ml water 500ml Ubik. 

thanks Paul.  
I don't use ubik, I use screwfix degreaser at a 10 - 1 mix.

But I am sure I have read that if you leave the ubik on to long it can discolour the upvc. 

Especially if it is a warm day, you want to make sure the windows are pre soaked and that you DO NOT let the ubik dry on the surface. On a hot day it may be worth having your water flow down low whilst you agitate just to keep the solution wet.

also your mix may be a little strong. 

although I have read that some use it neat.

I don't use ubik, I use screwfix degreaser at a 10 - 1 mix.

But I am sure I have read that if you leave the ubik on to long it can discolour the upvc. 

Especially if it is a warm day, you want to make sure the windows are pre soaked and that you DO NOT let the ubik dry on the surface. On a hot day it may be worth having your water flow down low whilst you agitate just to keep the solution wet.

also your mix may be a little strong. 

although I have read that some use it neat.
I heard the complete opposite. I heard that ubix is biodegradable so no long term effects of leaving.

We don’t use ubick we use virosol and that will do the same thing if the mix is to strong try a mix of 10-1 and I don’t think it will happen again , there is no need to use it any stronger .

We don’t use ubick we use virosol and that will do the same thing if the mix is to strong try a mix of 10-1 and I don’t think it will happen again , there is no need to use it any stronger .

Many Thanks, I weakened the mix as suggested, then cleaned my other windows and no problems ?

Just shiny glass and a whiter look ?

Back