Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Newer Van Options

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Anybody used or have experience of

Network Q or New Vehicle Solutions

Any tips or advice welcome, ive got an appointment at Vauxhall (network Q) on Thursday and NVS are putting me together a few different deals to look at.
Before signing up for a nearly new van have a good look around at what you can buy new ones for. The difference between 1-2 yr old vans and brand new ones makes it better value, in my opinion, to buy a new one. 

Before signing up for a nearly new van have a good look around at what you can buy new ones for. The difference between 1-2 yr old vans and brand new ones makes it better value, in my opinion, to buy a new one. 
I spoke to NVS today and theyve said for my budget i may well be able to get a new van or a very very low mileage 1yr old van.

I spoke to NVS today and theyve said for my budget i may well be able to get a new van or a very very low mileage 1yr old van.
Remember the first job of a salesman is to get you through the door. So they will tell you exactly what you want to hear.

Always wondered why a company would buy a new van till a joiner told me he gets a new van every 4yrs to offset his vat.
I would really like him to explain how that works tbh.

The most used reason by sales people is that buying a new van will reduce the amount of income tax paid. Even that doesn't hold water.

Commercial vans are sold + VAT. All he is able to do is claim back the 20% in VAT he has already paid. So in essence he is getting his van at 20% less than we as non VAT registered sole traders can buy it for.

But we can write that higher amount paid off against tax anyway. There is no way the tax man buys us a van, he just allows us to reduce the purchase against our income tax debt at our income tax rate (eg, 20%.) We still have to earn the money in the first place.

When it comes to trade in the van that has the VAT paid reclaimed (VAT registered) becomes a VAT qualifying van. When it's resold it will be £ + VAT. Because I'm not VAT registered my van will be the standard selling price without VAT added. My van will be advertised at a higher price than a VAT qualifying van, but a VAT registered business wouldn't buy my van anyway because they couldn't claim back the VAT.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would really like him to explain how that works tbh.

The most used reason by sales people is that buying a new van will reduce the amount of income tax paid. Even that doesn't hold water.

Commercial vans are sold + VAT. All he is able to do is claim back the 20% in VAT he has already paid. So in essence he is getting his van at 20% less than we as non VAT registered sole traders can buy it for.

But we can write that higher amount paid off against tax anyway. There is no way the tax man buys us a van, he just allows us to reduce the purchase against our income tax debt at our income tax rate (eg, 20%.) We still have to earn the money in the first place.

When it comes to trade in the van that has the VAT paid reclaimed (VAT registered) becomes a VAT qualifying van. When it's resold it will be £ + VAT. Because I'm not VAT registered my van will be the standard selling price without VAT added. My van will be advertised at a higher price than a VAT qualifying van, but a VAT registered business wouldn't buy my van anyway because they couldn't claim back the VAT.
Am glad you have cleared that up! ?

On this. When I first bought a new van I calculated the prices for buying, servicing, insurance, fuel economy and resale value (plus more) for van at Brand New, 3 Yrs old and then 7 Years old.

I factored in everything I could including tyres, servicing costs, when the cam belt etc is due based on mileage and then even calculated depreciation and resale value based on mileage too.

Believe it or not the brand new van based on my estimated mileage worked out as a higher upfront cost clearly but over a 7 year ownership period; was cheaper by £7 per month. All costs and resale value included.

I would aim to really do your own analysis on it and what is important for you. Each of businesses is different ultimately. Then when you make your decision, you rest confident you made the right one because you supported your own decision making process.

If I find the calculations on previous spreadsheets, I’ll publish it here.

Just sold a 2011 Citroen Nemo van for what I bough it for 3 years ago, not lost a penny. Put it on Gumtree Sunday 16.00hrs, sold and picked up yesterday midday. Bloke drove 150 miles to pick it up. Must of had 30 people calling/messaging me wanting to buy it....

Well national vehicle solutions have come back to me.

Theyve come up with a 67 plate Renault Traffic,

£2000+ vat deposit (i told him i had £1500)

£230+ vat a month (i told him my limit was £200)

Balloon payment of £4800+vat (i told him i didnt want a bigger balloon than £2000)

Well seems like hes lost anychance of a customer by trying to push every limit i have further than i want!!!!

Well national vehicle financehave come back to me.

Balloon payment of £4800+vat (i told him i didnt want a bigger balloon than £2000)

Well seems like hes lost anychance of a customer by trying to push every limit i have further than i want!!!!
First off go back to him and remind him of your specs and can he do that van within your budget? You never know he might just be trying it on. He's a salesman so will try and get every penny he can out of you, so you do the same. Play him at his own game. Don't let him tell you what to pay, tell him that you will pay £1500 deposit, £200 per month and a £2k balloon at end on that van and that's your final offer and you will leave it with him to number crunch. He can only say yes or no!!! You have the money he wants to sell you a van!!! Moneys in your hands ? I am sure there are plenty more finance companies out there.

Are you eligible for a bounce back loan as that could be cheaper, not that I am a financial adviser.

Well national vehicle financehave come back to me.

How long is that over?

But tbf hes clearly not listened to me atall when we spoke.
He did listen but then tried to get more money from you ?  It's just business and so is it to you! It's not personal to either of you. So tell him if he can match your original criteria on that van he has a deal otherwise no. Stand your ground, if he can't do the deal on your terms then find someone else. Don't lose sleep over the offer, just counter at what you told him originally, on principal don't budge ?  he's on commission and it's your money he wants ? 

In the end if you get the van for our original budget great, it's not like you will ever see the salesman, don't worry about his feelings, I am sure he won't worry about yours. 

Above all don't take it personally it really is just business. 

But what he did do was to stall you long enough to stop you looking elsewhere.

But what he did do was to stall you long enough to stop you looking elsewhere.
Nah i told him im looking elsewhere and told him ive given them the same figures.

To be honest hes wasted my time and his by not sticking to my limits, ive now sent him a reply of "everything youve quoted me is out of the financial parameters i gave you, thanks for your price but i wont be moving forward with your company"

Nah i told him im looking elsewhere and told him ive given them the same figures.

To be honest hes wasted my time and his by not sticking to my limits, ive now sent him a reply of "everything youve quoted me is out of the financial parameters i gave you, thanks for your price but i wont be moving forward with your company"
The other thing to bear in mind is the mileage. This Trafic will have no manufacturers warranty even if it has low miles. How many owners are on the logbook and who is/was the last owner? If it's a prereg then you could well be the third owner. Having too many owners doesn't look good on the resale side of things.

I also always wonder how long its been stood around before being sold.

That's £18k for a 30 month old van. Probably get a new one for about that

Couple of things that have gone very expensive in the last four months - second hand vans (probably due to the increase of delivery drivers needed for parcels) and puppies...

Well here she is, the new company vehicle.

2018, vauxhall viavaro, still got 18months/20k dealers warranty left.

Van has only ever been owned by the dealership.

£12k

Pick her up next Saturday.

All i gotta do now is name her.

Screenshot_20200730-155202_Samsung Internet.jpg

Back