Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Not much sign of warmer weather

WCF

Help Support WCF:

We have been lucky with the mild temperatures so feel hard done by when it's cold on a morning but at least it doesn't get dark till 4.30pm so working a bit later makes up for lost time on a morning, I just put my van in the garage overnight works a treat no draining hoses etc ?

We have been lucky with the mild temperatures so feel hard done by when it's cold on a morning but at least it doesn't get dark till 4.30pm so working a bit later makes up for lost time on a morning, I just put my van in the garage overnight works a treat no draining hoses etc ?
My garage is useless, you can only fit a car in there. I love it when a customer comes out going on about how cold it is at 2 in the afternoon and I’m there thinking you should try 7 in the morning you tw@t ??

My garage is useless, you can only fit a car in there. I love it when a customer comes out going on about how cold it is at 2 in the afternoon and I’m there thinking you should try 7 in the morning you tw@t ??
Mine is a decent size at 21ft long and I can near enough get my door fully open to get in and out  I have cupboards and worktop space at the back as well and can get the rear doors on the van fully open ? it felt warmer first thing this morning than it did around 2pm 

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine is a decent size at 21ft long and I can near enough get my door fully door fully open to get in and out  I have cupboards and worktop space at the back as well and can get the rear doors on the van fully open ? it felt warmer first thing this morning than it did around 2pm 
To be fair I can't say I know today, I finished at 10:30. The whole restructure i've done is hurting me over the next 2 weeks, quite a few days with hardly any work where i've shuffled people around. On the plus side I got a new customer this morning.

To be fair I can't say I know today, I finished at 10:30. The whole restructure i've done is hurting me over the next 2 weeks, quite a few days with hardly any work where i've shuffled people around. On the plus side I got a new customer this morning.
That's the only thing with a major reshuffle in the past I have done mine over a number of weeks so as not to take such a hit, You'll be out canvassing then I take it?

That's the only thing with a major reshuffle in the past I have done mine over a number of weeks so as not to take such a hit, You'll be out canvassing then I take it?
Haha, no definitely not. I've always found canvassing to be a massive waste of time. Over half cancel before the first clean, about another 30% after the first clean and another 10% or so further down the line. I know some of the lads swear by it, perhaps it's just my area. I've never had a windy knock the door here and i've asked a few customers who've all said the same. I've filled some spots with gutters, got a conny roof to clean in a sec. Spent yesterday making sure I've included everything I need to in my tax return, i'm due a rebate of over 3k by the looks of it. Today is full now, the rest of my empty slots I will probably do some more work on my website.

Haha, no definitely not. I've always found canvassing to be a massive waste of time. Over half cancel before the first clean, about another 30% after the first clean and another 10% or so further down the line. I know some of the lads swear by it, perhaps it's just my area. I've never had a windy knock the door here and i've asked a few customers who've all said the same. I've filled some spots with gutters, got a conny roof to clean in a sec. Spent yesterday making sure I've included everything I need to in my tax return, i'm due a rebate of over 3k by the looks of it. Today is full now, the rest of my empty slots I will probably do some more work on my website.
Ah, rebates nice. One of my mates has got a bill to pay of 5k by end of month I think. He aint got it. Ok for me as yet as earnings were low and outgoings were high first year. even this second year wont be much. I think he's stuffed as he had a good previous year so they want in advance based on the previous year. We all know we're meant to put some away for this but can still come unstuck.

Ah, rebates nice. One of my mates has got a bill to pay of 5k by end of month I think. He aint got it. Ok for me as yet as earnings were low and outgoings were high first year. even this second year wont be much. I think he's stuffed as he had a good previous year so they want in advance based on the previous year. We all know we're meant to put some away for this but can still come unstuck.
Payment on account is a joke catches loads of people out including myself. 5k is a big bill tho!! 

Well if he's made circa £35k and spent it all then more fool him. We all know the bill is coming so you have to set up an account to put money away to cover it. If he's had a major problem, big van repair bill etc, then I'd have some sympathy for him. 

Payment on account is a joke catches loads of people out including myself. 5k is a big bill tho!! 
It prevents newbies getting big bills straight away and allows people to budget better without the temptation of large sums sitting in your account.

Well if he's made circa £35k and spent it all then more fool him. We all know the bill is coming so you have to set up an account to put money away to cover it. If he's had a major problem, big van repair bill etc, then I'd have some sympathy for him. 

It prevents newbies getting big bills straight away and allows people to budget better without the temptation of large sums sitting in your account.
Its his removals business. his first few years were a nightmare of the vehicle going wrong etc. apparently his accountant has done the best he can but can do no more. Its strange, he likes a beer, but this is almost totally cans at home, so no big pub bill, his house is housing association with his mrs, so rent not bad. two kids, young, so not yet at the latest nike trainer stage. loan pay backs I guess, yeh he got another vehicle. Its a juggling game really but thats life, in one hand and out the other.

The last time I was self employed I worked with a young lad who used to pay 20% of his wages straight through his URN. When it came to April he had his return ready to go and took a massive rebate. Some of the lads in the office said he was stupid because if he dies then HMRC are quids in and won't return the money to his family, he can't get any interest on the money as its no longer in his account and if he ended up out of work he couldn't claim that money back until at least April. His argument was; It was safer than a savings account as he couldn't touch it, if he couldn't pay his tax bill then the interest charged by HMRC would be more than he would have gained.... Also he was about 24 and didn't plan on dying. I personally think its better in my account than theirs!

The last time I was self employed I worked with a young lad who used to pay 20% of his wages straight through his URN. When it came to April he had his return ready to go and took a massive rebate. Some of the lads in the office said he was stupid because if he dies then HMRC are quids in and won't return the money to his family, he can't get any interest on the money as its no longer in his account and if he ended up out of work he couldn't claim that money back until at least April. His argument was; It was safer than a savings account as he couldn't touch it, if he couldn't pay his tax bill then the interest charged by HMRC would be more than he would have gained.... Also he was about 24 and didn't plan on dying. I personally think its better in my account than theirs!
Set up a regular savings ISA in December so it matures just after Christmas, so you can't spend it, and use this to pay the taxman. Also set up a smaller one for June maturity then you can't be short to pay the tax bill.

Set up a regular savings ISA in December so it matures just after Christmas, so you can't spend it, and use this to pay the taxman. Also set up a smaller one for June maturity then you can't be short to pay the tax bill.
I cant do that. They say you can open one every year or something? but Ive had this help to buy isa going for a couple of years and they say cant open another isa while this is going. you can put a max of 200 a month in it.

I cant do that. They say you can open one every year or something? but Ive had this help to buy isa going for a couple of years and they say cant open another isa while this is going. you can put a max of 200 a month in it.
You can only pay into one isa in any financial year and you can only open one per year. Your help to buys will work out much better for you in the long run, just keep squirrelling your £200 away each month and it will soon add up. Make sure you check your interest rates on it too. We’re making £15 a month in interest now, before we changed we were only making £3.

The interest rate on anything that isn’t help to buy seems shocking at the moment. Virgin Money do a regular saver that you can only withdraw from twice a year and give 1.5% we have a second account t with them that gives 3% but you can only add £250pcm to it.

Thought you were allowed as many ISA's you wanted in a year as long as you didn't exceed the legal amount, I think £6k cash a year, must be wrong.

yeh I would've liked to open another one but dont think you can while doing the help to buy one. Interest rate aint too bad, but the real benefit is only if you do actually use it to buy, as if you have the max of 12k they will give 3k. 

he interest rate on anything that isn’t help to buy seems shocking at the moment. Virgin Money do a regular saver that you can only withdraw from twice a year and give 1.5% we have a second account t with them that gives 3% but you can only add £250pcm to it.
But if you're using it to pay your tax bill then any interest is better than leaving it in a current account. Set one up in the Wife / Partners name as well.

Thought you were allowed as many ISA's you wanted in a year as long as you didn't exceed the legal amount, I think £6k cash a year, must be wrong.
I think the exception is the help to buy, if you pay into one of those you can’t pay into any other. They are offering 2.5-2.75% interest against the usual 1% though. They also give you a £50 bonus for every £200 you put in towards the purchase of your first home.

i seem to remember what you’re saying on ISA’s though, ain’t had one for years but I think that’s correct on normal ones.

I think the exception is the help to buy, if you pay into one of those you can’t pay into any other. They are offering 2.5-2.75% interest against the usual 1% though. They also give you a £50 bonus for every £200 you put in towards the purchase of your first home.

i seem to remember what you’re saying on ISA’s though, ain’t had one for years but I think that’s correct on normal ones.
I'm just a poor part time window cleaner so my tax bills are negligible anyway so I don't need to save ?

I'm just a poor part time window cleaner so my tax bills are negligible anyway so I don't need to save ?
I do some paye work besides windows. maybe drop it in the future but I still love getting that paid holiday entitlement. Will see how things pan out.

Latest Posts

Back