Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Not much sign of warmer weather

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I do some paye work besides windows. maybe drop it in the future but I still love getting that paid holiday entitlement. Will see how things pan out.
Never drop paid work unless you can replace it with something much better. I still dabble in the scrap game and on a few occasions I've thought about giving it up but it grosses about £18k a year for very little time commitment. 

Never drop paid work unless you can replace it with something much better. I still dabble in the scrap game and on a few occasions I've thought about giving it up but it grosses about £18k a year for very little time commitment. 
Yes true. Also if get weathered off still got the indoor work. Scrap, I took a load of my dads old brass and copper plumbing fittings and pipes, was surprised how much was worth, and old batteries, but they told me some years back the prices were temporarily much higher.

Yes true. Also if get weathered off still got the indoor work. Scrap, I took a load of my dads old brass and copper plumbing fittings and pipes, was surprised how much was worth, and old batteries, but they told me some years back the prices were temporarily much higher.
Lead is probably close to an all time high and whilst copper and brass aren't they're not that much off. I don't deal at this level I'm more into factory arisings and 10 - 20 tonne loads of aluminium.

That sounds bad, I didnt tea leaf them off him, he'd died and used to do plumbing/heating engineer. He'd kept draws and trays full of all these old bits, which we would never use I doubt, so weighed them in.

But if you're using it to pay your tax bill then any interest is better than leaving it in a current account. Set one up in the Wife / Partners name as well.
We've got 4 of those high interest savings accounts between us and a help to buy ISA. I agree 100% but then I have self control and budget my money, if people are incapable of not spending it then send it straight to the tax man.

Lead is probably close to an all time high and whilst copper and brass aren't they're not that much off. I don't deal at this level I'm more into factory arisings and 10 - 20 tonne loads of aluminium.
Thats more worthwhile. I dont know much about it but ive heard that silver is ridiculously under-priced. Its used for so many things. Might be worth hoarding some in case theres a run. Bit of fun, watching the price.

Thats more worthwhile. I dont know much about it but ive heard that silver is ridiculously under-priced. Its used for so many things. Might be worth hoarding some in case theres a run. Bit of fun, watching the price.
Silver and gold always go up in value. Safest investment there is. No matter the economic climate they are always valued highly.

I put £100 a week away to cover tax bill. But payment on account is something a lot of people don't know about untill they're accountant tells them about it. I'd never heard of it before. The first years the worse as you have to pay 18 months upfront and all due on the same day 31st jan so if you haven't budgeted for it you can find yourself in a bit of a pickle. It's even worse if your earnings go up each year which mine have as I'm needing good books to be able to get a mortgage this year fingers crossed. As you have to pay the difference and then 6 months up front also. I think it's rubbish them saying it's a way of helping you pay your tax bill tho. For me it's a way of the government ensuring they have at least 6 months tax guaranteed upfront off you. Seems like they allways hit the self employed where it hurts. I put 38k through my books last year and my tax wasn't no where near 5k tho. 

I put £100 a week away to cover tax bill. But payment on account is something a lot of people don't know about untill they're accountant tells them about it. I'd never heard of it before. The first years the worse as you have to pay 18 months upfront and all due on the same day 31st jan so if you haven't budgeted for it you can find yourself in a bit of a pickle. It's even worse if your earnings go up each year which mine have as I'm needing good books to be able to get a mortgage this year fingers crossed. As you have to pay the difference and then 6 months up front also. I think it's rubbish them saying it's a way of helping you pay your tax bill tho. For me it's a way of the government ensuring they have at least 6 months tax guaranteed upfront off you. Seems like they allways hit the self employed where it hurts. I put 38k through my books last year and my tax wasn't no where near 5k tho. 
Yes what a nightmare. Another mate works for him and tried to get him to pay some work cash in hand, to help him out with his own bill. He rightly said he just cant do it. It would make his situation even worse. Its all a learning curve and hopefully he'll get through it ok in the end.

I put 38k through my books last year and my tax wasn't no where near 5k tho. 
Yes if that was your turnover, if it was your nett profit you would've. Whilst I'm not here to defend HMRC we aren't actually paying them anything before we have earned it. If you don't think you're going to earn as much the next year you can appeal the 6 monthly payment. 

Yes if that was your turnover, if it was your nett profit you would've. Whilst I'm not here to defend HMRC we aren't actually paying them anything before we have earned it. If you don't think you're going to earn as much the next year you can appeal the 6 monthly payment. 
or if you can manage to pay it, and dont earn so well then you get a rebate. 

Talking about warmer weather, of on my holls in a week for a fortnight. In terms of van prep, I was going to remove leisure battery, di vessel and hose real and and drain the water from the tank. Will this help in case of any really bad weather?  Anything else I should do?

Talking about warmer weather, of on my holls in a week for a fortnight. In terms of van prep, I was going to remove leisure battery, di vessel and hose real and and drain the water from the tank. Will this help in case of any really bad weather?  Anything else I should do?
I'd say thats about it mate, if leaving pump make sure no water in it.

down in sunny Littlehampton I had to put a jacket on today, temp dipped below 8 degrees. gets any lower I'm going to buy a hat!!!
yeh ive noticed down south coast and south western tip of uk are often at double figures when all else is freezing. The atlantic gulf stream or something similar.

Latest Posts

Back