Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Perfect brush combo?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

The brush doesn't bounce as much as on diagonal strokes as it would with your usual technique, try it out when you do them.
So one stroke would start from the top left corner down to bottom right and the next stoke is back up to the same corner or slide the brush to the opposite side on the bottom and move it up to the top right corner? Or it doesn't have to go from corner to corner etc, just keep the strokes diagonal with no vertical or horizontal movements? Hope it makes sense and sincere apologies for the noob question ? 

So one stroke would start from the top left corner down to bottom right and the next stoke is back up to the same corner or slide the brush to the opposite side on the bottom and move it up to the top right corner? Or it doesn't have to go from corner to corner etc, just keep the strokes diagonal with no vertical or horizontal movements? Hope it makes sense and sincere apologies for the noob question ? 
Just work your way down diagonally, as I said earlier when you try this method, compared to your usual one, you'll notice the difference. 

I’ve got 5 different brushes and still can’t settle on an all rounder ? I tend to select the right brush for the right job. But that does depend on the work one has. It’s very different for all of us. I have a right old mixture in my custy base. Expensive to keep buying brushes though at around £40 a pop. Worth it though to build up a decent selection over time. 

I’ve got 5 different brushes and still can’t settle on an all rounder ? I tend to select the right brush for the right job. But that does depend on the work one has. It’s very different for all of us. I have a right old mixture in my custy base. Expensive to keep buying brushes though at around £40 a pop. Worth it though to build up a decent selection over time. 
What's your preference regarding brush type/job or window type - and why have you come to this solution?

Last edited by a moderator:
Good question ?? For leaded windows i like the Gardiner Ultimate Dupont Tapertec 26cm. It doesn’t pull lead off the windows like some brushes can. This brush is also a good option as an all rounder. But doesn’t really clean sills too well. 

All rounder - Gardiner Universal Sill Flocked. However, i find that this shape brush can be a little frustrating getting into the top corner of windows. Especially recessed patio windows.

I also have a Zero Splay Gardiner flocked brush which is excellent for very old and fragile single pane leaded windows. On old Manor Houses for example. 

Gardiner Medium Mixed Sill brush for gutters and Fascias. But this can feel very heavy around 30 minutes into the job.

The hunt for the perfect brush continues ?

Last edited by a moderator:
The brush doesn't bounce as much as on diagonal strokes as it would with your usual technique, try it out when you do them.
I do the same. The bristles feed across the lead more gently when you go diagonally across it , rather than when you bang across straight where it knocks across it.

When it's diamond leaded I go vertical and horizontal for the same reason.

Gently does it, of course.

What he means is don’t go against the lead. If it’s a square leaded pattern go with diagonal strokes and if diamond lead go with vertical strokes. This will stop the bristles from grabbing and lifting the lead. 

What he means is don’t go against the lead. If it’s a square leaded pattern go with diagonal strokes and if diamond lead go with vertical strokes. This will stop the bristles from grabbing and lifting the lead. 
Thanks, that's helpful ?

Big red and big white never used but got em just incase lol

Get a 26cm sill brush that i use for first cleans and 1 that i usr for GFS jobs, and added another flocked brush yesterday as my old one in bottom pic is getting a bit short on the bristles each end.

10 brushes for 1 man should be enough id say.

My first everyday brush was an xline one and gotts be honest it was best brush ive had, but always forget to order from them when i want a new brush

Screenshot_20201020-081912_Messenger.jpg

Screenshot_20201020-081855_Messenger.jpg

Big red and big white never used but got em just incase lol

Get a 26cm sill brush that i use for first cleans and 1 that i usr for GFS jobs, and added another flocked brush yesterday as my old one in bottom pic is getting a bit short on the bristles each end.

10 brushes for 1 man should be enough id say.

My first everyday brush was an xline one and gotts be honest it was best brush ive had, but always forget to order from them when i want a new brush
You're like a travelling salesman of wfp brushes - by the look of your van door ?

Wow thank you guys, so much good advice and real world experience.

Got Friday to myself so going to take a proper read through everyone’s advice and then go brush shopping, happy to do a bit of trial and error I get the feeling a lot of this is personal preference.. either way hopefully I’ll be able to narrow it down and this time next week I won’t end up with 1 of everything ?

like to jump in here,i wont to buy my first 35 brush,been looking again at gardiners 35s ive got quite a few 3 monthlys i like the look of the extreme tapertech as favored by Part Timer,its very very light by comparison to the others,but iam worried it may not cope with thease 3 monthllys,and may have to use one of the heavier ones?

I'm off down to London on Sunday to do 4 sites, 3 of which are 3 monthly and the other one 6 monthly. All will be done by a 35cm Tapertec.

Stopping off in Cambridge on the way home to do 4 blocks of flats which are a 4 monthly clean. The only problems with the Tapertec are is you can't use hot water and their longevity isn't great, but what brushes are nowadays.

Ok thanks for that P/timer.Then my only consideration now is,i do like the universal sill brush,i find it very fast on the frames and sills. I was using the ultimate medium soft 25cm today,(the good all rounder) rinse on glass,but was missing my universal,for flickiing round the frames etc,even though its the flocked version,So iam fancying the medium soft(unflocked version)good job ive got my teeth in!! so as to rinse on etc. I could just buy the 25cm,but why not go for the 35,i thinks to myself,dont know what to do?what would you do please?For instance if cleaning flats, offices two or three stories high ,then definately the taper tech,as theirs not so many frames/sills etc,but residential semies the universal might be best, although its two times heavier.Whats A Gal To Do i dont know Cheers any comments most welcome.

I'm off down to London on Sunday to do 4 sites, 3 of which are 3 monthly and the other one 6 monthly. All will be done by a 35cm Tapertec.

Stopping off in Cambridge on the way home to do 4 blocks of flats which are a 4 monthly clean. The only problems with the Tapertec are is you can't use hot water and their longevity isn't great, but what brushes are nowadays.
I've been using hotwater since I got my first tapertec but its bowed a bit and still going strong.

Latest Posts

Back