Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Pigeon protection around solar panels

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Danny91

Hi, done a roof clean for a customer today and a neighbour came out asking if we fit any sort or protection stopping pigeons getting under the solar panels and nesting, We don’t currently offer that service but we got chatting and they had been quoted close to £1000 supplied and fitted. 
normal 3 bed semi detached I think I counted 10ish panels on the roof.

obviously we are comfortable and safe working on roofs so it got us thinking surly it’s got to be quicker to fit some sort of protection on one side of the roof than scraping and spraying a whole roof for similar sorts of money? Anyone else currently offer this and recommend anything ? Thank you and ITS COMING HOME! 

I think @scottish cleaning service does this type of work. Seems a very big number to put some wire mesh round them
My thoughts exactly but then again the person did say he wasn’t going to pay that but Im just trying to see if he’s been given a silly quote on the off chance or if it is actually going rate, just had a look there’s a few systems for no more than £10plm and that’s on the more expensive systems 

If I had solar panels I’d ring some one to come round and quote me 

£350 for 8 panels and £550 for 16 panels, I charge. I have got it down to a fine art by buying 8' by 4' sheet of 3mm galvanised 25mm wire mesh from Amazon. I usually go and quote for the job and measure the distance between top of panel and top of tile. If I get the job then I cut the strips at my place with my Stihl Saw with metal blade on it. On the job I use ladder and roof ladder and join both ladders together so they stay in place. 8mm screw bolts 32mm long and big penny washer and begin screwing the mesh onto the panels. I also have my 125mm battery grinder with metal blade to fit the end bits around the brackets. I finish off the corners by twisting 1.5mm electrical wire holding both pieces of mesh together and job done. You can't wait for eggs to hatch because the pigeons are nesting all year round so we don't get a gap in the year to do it. Need any help then just PM me.

Most on here will have Hurd of solar Steve right plonker I know but he does it and his prices are very high he was offering us £200-400 per property for doing it but we never did any that was about 6-8 years ago so if he was prepared to pay us that I bet he was charging the customers £600-1000 per job 

With pigeons cooing at 5am now folk will pay anything to get an unbroken sleep. Funny thing is, once they are evicted they all fly too nearest unproofed solar roof and start building nests. I usually drive around and chap their door or put a note through saying you will have lodgers soon. Sometimes I get a few jobs in one area because our pigeons are conditioned to nest where they were born, creatures of habit I guess. 

Back