Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Pole hose kinking using uni valve

WCF

Help Support WCF:

darryn71

Using 6mm reel hose joined with rectus 26 then green gardiners pole hose using univalve
Having to unclip rectus and uncoil pole hose to straighten back out
Is there a different way to stop hose coiling

It sounds like when you are using your pole you are twisting the pole hose. If you are using cold water then the gardiners green pu hose does like to coil they way it was made. You could try running hot water through it and pulling it straight then running cold through it, that sometimes reduces the 'coil memory'.
Next time you work carefully watch if you are rotating the pole when you work, i.e. if you rotate the pole one way to say get the bottom of french doors then rotate back the opposite way or the same way putting a twist in it.

Hope that helps?

It sounds like when you are using your pole you are twisting the pole hose. If you are using cold water then the gardiners green pu hose does like to coil they way it was made. You could try running hot water through it and pulling it straight then running cold through it, that sometimes reduces the 'coil memory'.
Next time you work carefully watch if you are rotating the pole when you work, i.e. if you rotate the pole one way to say get the bottom of french doors then rotate back the opposite way or the same way putting a twist in it.

Hope that helps?
If you use Rectus fittings between the pole hose and the microbore it shouldn’t twist or coil up as theses fittings should act like a 360 degree swivel We never get any issues like this ime convinced ones that have problems are doing something to cause this affect themselves.

If you use Rectus fittings between the pole hose and the microbore it shouldn’t twist or coil up as theses fittings should act like a 360 degree swivel We never get any issues like this ime convinced ones that have problems are doing something to cause this affect themselves.
Although it's night and day difference compared to the yellow pvc hose I was using, I've found it does coil up and it doesn't untwist itself via the rectus swivel. I don't think the swivel effect is lose enough for that to happen. It would be good if there was a really good swivel connection available.

It reminds me of a corded telephone effect, where the cord is continually twisted in one direction until it gets so wound up you can't pick up the earpiece of the phone.

Although it's night and day difference compared to the yellow pvc hose I was using, I've found it does coil up and it doesn't untwist itself via the rectus swivel. I don't think the swivel effect is lose enough for that to happen. It would be good if there was a really good swivel connection available.

It reminds me of a corded telephone effect, where the cord is continually twisted in one direction until it gets so wound up you can't pick up the earpiece of the phone.
I struggle to understand how ones have this happen even when I used cold water never had theses issues , and with 5 guys working for me can honestly we never get any kinks twists or coils with pole hose , I just don’t understand what we are doing differently to others .

I struggle to understand how ones have this happen even when I used cold water never had theses issues , and with 5 guys working for me can honestly we never get any kinks twists or coils with pole hose , I just don’t understand what we are doing differently to others .
I think some of it may be caused by operators. Say you are cleaning patio doors and to get the bottom you rotate the pole clockwise to get the brush at the bottom, then you continue to rotate clockwise to get back to the top, you now have a twist!

Totally agree with what you are saying think someone would have come up with a idea by now for a swivel people do get kinks

I think some of it may be caused by operators. Say you are cleaning patio doors and to get the bottom you rotate the pole clockwise to get the brush at the bottom, then you continue to rotate clockwise to get back to the top, you now have a twist!
It will be down to how you twist the pole, it's easily done but when you look at a henry vacuum cleaner, it has a rotating connection for the hose to the main base and it works well. Something similar should be designed for the pole hose.

I work from a trolley. When I have to reposition I will either lean the brush against a wall, or if no wall then I'll put the brush on the floor. When I do this I make sure the bristles are not touching either a wall or the ground, so I rotate the brush clockwise probably 90 to 120 degrees, once I've repositioned the trolley I then pick the brush (pole) back up and rotate it clockwise to the point that the bristles are pointing at the glass and carry on cleaning.

Now if you think that through, I've just rotated it 360 degrees in a clockwise direction. It's obviously habit but I've only just thought it through now and realised that must be how it's happening.

The thing is though, there should be something designed to stop it happening. There will be many window cleaners out there experiencing the same thing, you can alter how you work but eventually I'd imagine everyone would generally get twists at some point, so there is a need for something to solve the twisting problem.

Totally agree with what you are saying think someone would have come up with a idea by now for a swivel people do get kink
It will be down to how you twist the pole, it's easily done but when you look at a henry vacuum cleaner, it has a rotating connection for the hose to the main base and it works well. Something similar should be designed for the pole hose.

I work from a trolley. When I have to reposition I will either lean the brush against a wall, or if no wall then I'll put the brush on the floor. When I do this I make sure the bristles are not touching either a wall or the ground, so I rotate the brush clockwise probably 90 to 120 degrees, once I've repositioned the trolley I then pick the brush (pole) back up and rotate it clockwise to the point that the bristles are pointing at the glass and carry on cleaning.

Now if you think that through, I've just rotated it 360 degrees in a clockwise direction. It's obviously habit but I've only just thought it through now and realised that must be how it's happening.

The thing is though, there should be something designed to stop it happening. There will be many window cleaners out there experiencing the same thing, you can alter how you work but eventually I'd imagine everyone would generally get twists at some point, so there is a need for something to solve the twisting problem.

Think cold weather ain't helping tried rotating pole with hose worked for a bit but then kinked

Totally agree with what you are saying think someone would have come up with a idea by now for a swivel people do get kink

Think cold weather ain't helping tried rotating pole with hose worked for a bit but then kinked
Mine doesn't kink, it twists. Mine is fairly new, probably only used it for 3 months, if yours is kinking I'd be thinking how old is it? Might be time for a new hose :unsure: The twisting and coiling will still remain though.

I hear what you are saying but I struggle to believe that 6 of us have never had this situation buy chance ,I have trained my guys how to clean windows but none have ever had kinks etc and I dont have some magic formula to stop it .

I hear what you are saying but I struggle to believe that 6 of us have never had this situation buy chance ,I have trained my guys how to clean windows but none have ever had kinks etc and I dont have some magic formula to stop it .
You trained them well :) .

It could be that some people don't disconnect pole hose from reel very often.

You trained them well :) .

It could be that some people don't disconnect pole hose from reel very often.
We run tubeless on all our reels so the pole hose is always connected to the microbore on the reel but Evan before this when the pole hose was fixed to the pole we didn’t get kinks I don’t see that we work any different to anyone else to be honest

We run tubeless on all our reels so the pole hose is always connected to the microbore on the reel but Evan before this when the pole hose was fixed to the pole we didn’t get kinks I don’t see that we work any different to anyone else to be honest
But do you disconnect the poles after jobs? I run hoseless and mostly disconnect pole then reel in the hose.
I think people who get twists must just work differently.

But do you disconnect the poles after jobs? I run hoseless and mostly disconnect pole then reel in the hose.
I think people who get twists must just work differently.
Yes we do disconnect the poles but sometimes we are working for several hours with the same pole on large commercial and still dont get kinks so again don’t see how we work any differently from others , I do think coiling up pole hose that’s attached to the pole can introduce kinks but provided it’s straightened out before connecting to the microbore never had a problem

The green hose is quite springy and likes to coil up a lot compared to the yellow all season pole hose.
I made some prototypes a few years ago for some in-line swivels that were designed to fit between the reel hose and pole hose and used small bearings so that they were able to rotate completely freely- even under pressure.
After thorough testing, I came to the conclusion that it made no difference!!
In fact it actually made it worse sometimes as you couldn't manually remove the loops by twisting the pole because the swivel just turned instead!
It made little sense as intuitively you'd think it would fix the twists but it didn't except in some very specific circumstances.
It certainly wasn't effective enough to pursue past the prototype.

I just use the yellow reel hose and nothing else and it never kinks. I was told the hose would split easily when using a univalve, does anyone have any experience of this?

I use a rectus fitting at the bottom of the pole and just go easy when extending first section so coupling doesn't come undone.

I just use the yellow reel hose and nothing else and it never kinks. I was told the hose would split easily when using a univalve, does anyone have any experience of this?
The univalve has never caused an issue with both the pvc pole hose or the green pu hose that I've used. The univalve has never caused me any issues whatsoever in the 3 years since I've had it, installed it and never touched it thereafter other than when changing pole hose.

Back