Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Price fellas?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

So if you are pricing the front only you are saying that’s £3.75 per window =£30 is that what people are charging per window ? I accept a couple of them are larger but that seams very expensive to me , this isn’t a criticism Ime genuinely intrested what people charge and how they come up with that figure , I try to work on minimum £30 per hour per person so 30 muinets =£15 minimum the fronts of said property wouldn’t take more than 15  muinets so by my calculations it should be £7.50 but I would charge £10-12 thinking I have priced it ok , how do you all come up with a price ? Per window? Time? Personally pricing per window works to a degree but I look at the number of windows and how long I think it will take to reach the minimum hourly rate 
Exactly what I thought. Some people’s estimates are plain wrong. That being said only you know your business running costs, travel time etc and what your targets are to stay afloat so each to their own. 

I look at the front as the size of a large 3 bed detached house. For that I would expect to have a chance of getting it @ £12, NE England 

I quite agree if ones can charge those prices and get the work good on them but I don’t feel that’s a realistic price where I am and Ime in the affluent south ???? if I priced stuff like that place at that price I wouldn’t have much work 

In the real world.  £60 first clean front sides and back - Im allowing 90 minutes.  
£35 monthly. Im allowing 20-30 minutes. Plus travel time from last job to next job 

You can only price it on time.  Plucking numbers outa thin air makes for a poor business model. 

Green your thoughts sound most similar to mine. There will be travel time involved as even though we have a round in the area this house is too big to simply be an addition to that round. We do £15 for the average 3 bed semi on maintenance cleans & i reckon water usage would be about the same as 4 semis including the back and sides so you sound like you’re in the right field. Sorry to bore everyone, i just thought i’d ask as haven’t been hitting the nail on the head with larger properties. we are do used to doing semis and small detached that sometimes it just seems alien to me. Always end up using more water and spending more time there than i anticipate. thanks for your responses it is nice to know what different people think.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

I quite agree if ones can charge those prices and get the work good on them but I don’t feel that’s a realistic price where I am and Ime in the affluent south ???? if I priced stuff like that place at that price I wouldn’t have much work 
The problem we have on here is you have people that are fortunate in having a full round and are looking to add cream to it. Whereas the people asking for advice probably need the job and are inexperienced at pricing biggish jobs. I can't see how that job, unless it's all glass at the back, could take an experienced WF Poler an hour to do. Now my target price is £30 an hour, even on very lucrative commercial jobs I can get £60 an hour. Can't see how £100 is realistic 

I'm originally from Jersey.  Per capita in the UK it dont get much more affluent than that.  

Had my first round there.   Second in Nottingham and now in Derbyshire. I also do a couple of days a month in London. 

I have also canvassed for lads all over From Newcastle down to Essex. 

I ALWAYS get the worked based on £40 per hour (at a leisurley pace) (£80 per hour on the London work) and of you are in a truly affluent area then perhaps higher.  

The reason your not getting more is cause you're charging on some pre-concieved notions of 'going area prices' that does not actually exist. 

I work some streets at £15 per house and other lads are charging £9 -£10 per house.  Why cause they 'believe' that's the 'market price'  

It does not matter to me what you charge, thats your business, but dont tell me you cant get better prices when you wont ask for it.   I know you can as I have canvassed and generated work across the whole of England and Wales so I know it can be done 

Before you wonder why I goto London a friend is a property manager for many well to do famalies so I auto get all the homes on his book. 

Green your thoughts sound most similar to mine. There will be travel time involved as even though we have a round in the area this house is too big to simply be an addition to that round. We do £15 for the average 3 bed semi on maintenance cleans & i reckon water usage would be about the same as 4 semis including the back and sides so you sound like you’re in the right field. Sorry to bore everyone, i just thought i’d ask as haven’t been hitting the nail on the head with larger properties. we are do used to doing semis and small detached that sometimes it just seems alien to me. Always end up using more water and spending more time there than i anticipate. thanks for your responses it is nice to know what different people think.

Im looking at that as 2 - 3 bed semis. My home is a 3 bed detached and has exactly half the glass on the front of that.  

Im looking at that as 2 - 3 bed semis. My home is a 3 bed detached and has exactly half the glass on the front of that.  
Ok dude [emoji106] you were right when you said 90 minutes first clean, and an hour maintenance. Maybe i am slightly slower wfp than others as i’m a backpacker and have to take a minute to wheel/fill from tanks. But thats just our business model which i dont feel like changing. Also, some of us work faster than others i’m guessing. When i’m actually cleaning, i reckon i’m 20% faster than my brother on maintenance cleans, he is very thorough, but we don’t get any grumbles and people are happy so i’d rather leave him to it & not change what he’s doing as it’s his business as much as mine. And i restore as i go whereas others take that in to a completely different category. Not that theres much restoration involved on the front as its all brown pvc, but on the back i think its all whites from what i can see from the sky. so the magic sponges & cream cleaner + ubik will more than likely come out

So if you are pricing the front only you are saying that’s £3.75 per window =£30 is that what people are charging per window ? I accept a couple of them are larger but that seams very expensive to me , this isn’t a criticism Ime genuinely intrested what people charge and how they come up with that figure , I try to work on minimum £30 per hour per person so 30 muinets =£15 minimum the fronts of said property wouldn’t take more than 15  muinets so by my calculations it should be £7.50 but I would charge £10-12 thinking I have priced it ok , how do you all come up with a price ? Per window? Time? Personally pricing per window works to a degree but I look at the number of windows and how long I think it will take to reach the minimum hourly rate 
To me, the top left window is £3. There's 3 single rectangle windows, £1 a pop. Go across the house there's roughly 30 ish rectangles, so £30 give or take.

Sent using the http://Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

In the real world.  £60 first clean front sides and back - Im allowing 90 minutes.  

£35 monthly. Im allowing 20-30 minutes. Plus travel time from last job to next job 

You can only price it on time.  Plucking numbers outa thin air makes for a poor business model. 

As you cannot see round the back ime only pricing the front there could be anything round there , Evan so Ime sure it wouldn’t take 90 muinets but I agree it’s good to over estimate rather than under , I think pricing is difficult as we all have a set figure that we want to earn per hour/ day etc my minimum is £30 per hour per person we generally are higher than that , on commercial we are many times that but unfortunately there isn’t enough of that work round hear else I would do commercial only , the community I live and work in is very close everyone knowers everyone s buisness and what they pay for window c,earning I regularly price up new work and they say but you only charge Mrs so an so ££££ why is mine more , as we expand I do try and increase the prices I charge the trouble is customers become friends and it’s hard to put up prices : new work isn’t a problem the price is what it is take it or leave it I don’t care as we are always flat out , I do think that this is making me think I need to seriously review what I am charging but the going rate for a 3 bed semi round hear is between £6.50 and £8.00 this is what most are charging : however some larger detached houses are very well priced between £30 - 120 so I suppose it’s swings and rounders, it’s good to see how others reason and come up with the prices that they do , always willing to learn from others ways of doing things 

To me, the top left window is £3. There's 3 single rectangle windows, £1 a pop. Go across the house there's roughly 30 ish rectangles, so £30 give or take.

Please dont take this the wrong way way I genuinely am intrested with what you are saying but that window is 3 pains of glass but Ime quite sure I can clean the whole window including frames and sill in less than one and a half muinets, when I started out I timed how long it took to clean different types of window that isn’t a lot of time but try and clean a window for 1.5 muinets it’s very easy go go over the lot many times in that time . 

I like your pricing not criticising it just don’t think in fact I know most people down hear wouldn’t pay those type of prices , having said that people who are moving down from Surrey, London , Hampshire, are happy to pay higher prices , untill they realise there are other cleaners who will undercut you and do it a lot cheaper : it’s difficult to know what to do 

As you cannot see round the back ime only pricing the front there could be anything round there , Evan so Ime sure it wouldn’t take 90 muinets but I agree it’s good to over estimate rather than under , I think pricing is difficult as we all have a set figure that we want to earn per hour/ day etc my minimum is £30 per hour per person we generally are higher than that , on commercial we are many times that but unfortunately there isn’t enough of that work round hear else I would do commercial only , the community I live and work in is very close everyone knowers everyone s buisness and what they pay for window c,earning I regularly price up new work and they say but you only charge Mrs so an so ££££ why is mine more , as we expand I do try and increase the prices I charge the trouble is customers become friends and it’s hard to put up prices : new work isn’t a problem the price is what it is take it or leave it I don’t care as we are always flat out , I do think that this is making me think I need to seriously review what I am charging but the going rate for a 3 bed semi round hear is between £6.50 and £8.00 this is what most are charging : however some larger detached houses are very well priced between £30 - 120 so I suppose it’s swings and rounders, it’s good to see how others reason and come up with the prices that they do , always willing to learn from others ways of doing things 

Yeah i hear what you’re saying fella. It sounds completely the opposite to things our end. People are more than happy to pay £15 for a semi here, if they have multiple velux windows, small connies, double sets of large patio doors etc sometimes £25. But at the other end of the scale, people in larger detached houses aren’t so ready to part, and more often than not i find that they expect to pay the same as what a semi would be. The medium seems to be the good here. Nothing too low but not too high either. We were winning all work based at £30 an hour, also won 80% of work based on £35 an hour. £40 is risky round here.

Please dont take this the wrong way way I genuinely am intrested with what you are saying but that window is 3 pains of glass but Ime quite sure I can clean the whole window including frames and sill in less than one and a half muinets, when I started out I timed how long it took to clean different types of window that isn’t a lot of time but try and clean a window for 1.5 muinets it’s very easy go go over the lot many times in that time . 
I like your pricing not criticising it just don’t think in fact I know most people down hear wouldn’t pay those type of prices , having said that people who are moving down from Surrey, London , Hampshire, are happy to pay higher prices , untill they realise there are other cleaners who will undercut you and do it a lot cheaper : it’s difficult to know what to do 
I'm not easily offended so no worries... To me, I can clean a lounge carpet in under an hour for £80. Do 4 jobs a day on average that's £320 being indoors without weather restrictions and a nice cuppa. Less travel, no water bill or electric, just the product we use. Or, an average house at £15/20 say 16 times a day... To us, there's other and in some ways better work out there so we're able to take a take it at that price or leave it stance. We have one house that's £108 per clean every 4 weeks, the customer thought it was a steal! In the words of captain Jack sparrow, take what you can and give nothing back!

I'm not easily offended so no worries... To me, I can clean a lounge carpet in under an hour for £80. Do 4 jobs a day on average that's £320 being indoors without weather restrictions and a nice cuppa. Less travel, no water bill or electric, just the product we use. Or, an average house at £15/20 say 16 times a day... To us, there's other and in some ways better work out there so we're able to take a take it at that price or leave it stance. We have one house that's £108 per clean every 4 weeks, the customer thought it was a steal! In the words of captain Jack sparrow, take what you can and give nothing back!

Yeah i know there’s money in carpet cleaning, our carpet cleaner does very well i reckon. He deserves it though, works some hours. Starts on the commercial about 6 am, then goes domestic from 8-5 and then hes back on the commercial til 10pm sometimes. Does it 6 or 7 days a week as well he is a machine. We literally see him everywhere. Sometimes hell be walking out of a house as we show up to clean the windows its hilarious. He said he gets lonely and im not surprised lol. I dont think he’s a stranger to £400 days but maybe he’s trying to earn for two? I have no idea if his wife works but theyve just bought a new house & renovated it so i imagine they have big outgoings. Anyways, thanks all for the input. Midnight is way past my time zzz

You can only price to your local market, if you are giving out 10 quotes and only getting 1 you are probably too expensive, likewise if you get them all too cheap.

It will vary with area, you only find this out by quoting.

I quoted a 4 bed detatched with 3 skylights today at £15 - was too pricey

i quoted a 3 bed semi at £10 - too pricey

i quoted another 3 bed semi yesterday at £10 - too pricey

im actually lowering my prices recently to get the work in, just have to be more slap dash.

As for the house in the pic, brown upvc is usually the easiest of all, assuming back is same as front i would charge £40 first clean, £25 4 weekly, i would allow an hour first time, half hour second time.

As far as the day went in between jobs, quoted £43 for “the correct house”, didn’t get that one, but got four first cleans, one at £35, two at £25 & then one at £20 (where the whites are in really good condition anyway therefore not much extra required) so all in all came out as a positive. When you explain to people why the first clean is a bit dearer you find they do take it on board [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

I understand what you are saying but you cannot compare carpet cleaning widow cleaning , that’s like saying a dustman should be paid the same as an accountant , there’s definitely a ceiling on what you can charge , in my experience if you go ott with a price and think you are doing very well quite often you will loose the job as someone will under cut your price , if you are similar price to the competition they are less likely to drop you , as an example I know nothing about carpet cleaning but round hear firms will clean all carpets in a 3 bed semi for £75 we keep on getting flyers through the door about it , I dont know how long it would take to do that work but Ime sure I could earn more in that time cleaning windows , I think different parts of the country are very different to others : green thinks he could charge far higher prices where I am and get customers and he’s right he could but I very much doubt they would be sustainable customers they would cancle 3-4 months in we all know our own areas better than people that live miles away what works for me In Cornwall wouldn’t work in the midlands and visa versa , it’s good to see and hear others way of doing things , I have a lot of jobs where the property price is 2-10 million to look at some of them they arnt that big it’s the location that makes them worth that amount , some customers are property rich and money poor . I have one customer whose property is on the market for 2.9 million and she haggled like mad trying to get me to knock £5 off the price !!!! Some people !!!!!

Back